Opportunities for Non-SOM Binghamton University Students
In order to become a management or accounting major, a student must officially transfer into the School of Management. Intra-University transfer applications are located on BU Brain. After a student has applied, the Admissions Office will evaluate the application along with all others for the upcoming semester, and either approve or deny admission. This decision is based on the overall GPA and grades in microeconomics, macroeconomics, calculus and statistics.
Spaces available in the SOM will generally be filled with those applicants with the highest GPA. Students are encouraged to start applying during their Freshman year. It is advised therefore, that courses in calculus, statistics, microeconomics, and/or macroeconomics be considered. If you are denied admission, you may reapply the following semester. Non-SOM students may prepare for possible transfer by taking courses which will fulfill SOM degree requirements. Specifically, students are urged to take the following courses during their first 2 semesters:
- Economics 160 and 162
- Statistics: Math 147, MATH 148, Econ 366 or Psyc 243
- Math 220 or MATH 224 and 225
- Work towards fulfilling Gen Ed requirements of Aesthetics (A), Lab Science (L), Humanities (H), Composition (C) or Joint Oral/Composition (J), Pluralism (P) and Foreign Language (FL).
Management Adjunct Option
This special program responds to requests by non-SOM students for the opportunity to systematically complete a limited selection of courses in the School of management, while completing degree requirements in their chosen fields. The Management Adjunct option gives an introduction to basic subject matter in the areas of management and accounting. It is not equivalent to an academic major and is not a formal minor, but rather is a supplement to appropriate majors in the other schools at Binghamton. Adjunct option students may not take more than 16 credit hours in the School of Management. All courses are available online during winter and summer sessions only.
- Apply at the School of Management Advising Office.
- Meet the following general entrance criteria
- Have completed at least 24 credit hours and thus have junior standing.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2 for the last 24 credit hours.
- ACCT 211
- MGMT 311
- MKTG 311
- FIN 311
Fast-Track MBA Programs
Students in Harpur College or the Watson School may earn a BA or BS with the MBA in a 5-year period.