News and Notes
- Farnaz Esfahlani received an NetSci travel award for her participation in NetSci 2017.
- Linda Adwan and Mohammed Aladeemy received the Computer & Information Systems Division Best Student Paper Award for ISERC 2017.
- Roozbeh Salary received an NSF Travel Award for the MSEC2017/NAMRC45 Conference
- Mohammad Aladeemy, Yinglei Li, and Jawad Qasaymeh were all selected to participate in the 2017 IISE Doctoral Colloquium.
- Dr. Mark Poliks was named a NextFlex Fellow. NextFlex is a public-private consortium of companies, academic institutions, nonprofits and governments with a mission to advance US manufacturing of flexible hybrid electronics.
- Dr. Sang Won Yoon and Dr. Sung Hoon Chung of the Binghamton University Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science and their students are participating in an exciting new research opportunity in collaboration with the Raymond Corporation and Toyota. Their proposal on "Applying Location-based Informatics, Simulation and Optimization Methods to Forklift Driver Behavior, Congestion and Wireless Charging Studies" was only one of three projects to be funded. You can watch local TV coverage of the announcement on Channel 34 here.
- "Constitutive Relations for Finite Element Modeling of SnAgCu in Thermal Cycling – How Wrong We Were!" by authors Thaer Alghoul, Dustin Watson, Nardeeka Adams, Saif Khasawneh, and Farhan Batieha, under the guidance of Professor Christopher Greene and Professor Peter Borgesen, was selected as Best Interactive Presentation Paper of The Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC) 2016, a premier international organization bringing together experts in packaging, components and microelectric systems science, technology and education.
- Sina Khanmohammadi was awarded a Graduate Student Excellence Award in Teaching
- Tian He was awarded a Graduate Student Excellence Award in Research
- Hiroki Sayama was elected to the Executive Committee of the Complex Systems Society (CSS), the largest international society for the study of complex systems.
- Farnaz Zamani Esfahlani received third place for best poster at 2016 Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) 2016
- Nasim Nezamoddini was accepted to the 2016 Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Women in Operations Research/Management Sciences (WORMS) Doctoral Colloquium
- Nasser Sharareh and Hamed Kianmehr were selected to participate in the 2016 Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) Doctoral Student Colloquium
- Kunal Sethi and Manush Jhaveri received the Dr. Bhagwan Gajwani Scholarship Award
- Mohammad Bataineh and Courtney Edwards won Best Graduate Student Paper Award and Undergraduate Student Paper Award respectively during the Fifth Annual World Conference of the Society for Industrial and Systems Engineering (SISE).
- Hiroki Sayama was awarded the Lois B. Defleur Academic Prize for increasing Binghamton University's reputation for excellence, innovation and collaborative endeavors through teaching, scholarships, and public service
- Hiroki Sayama has been awarded the 2016 ISAL (International Society for Artificial Life) Exceptional Service Award during the ALIFE XV Conference | July, 2016
- SSIE receives $20 million in matching funds for development and research in flexible electronics | April, 2016
Yinglei Li and Sara Kohtz were awarded the 2016 IIE ISERC Best Social, Environmental and Sustainability Track Paper for their work “Evacuation Planning under Uncertainty using Public Transit Systems” with Sung Hoon Chung
Ryan Donovan received approval for a NSF REU grant for research with Prahalad Rao
- Mark Poliks was named the 2016 recipient of The ACS Binghamton Local Section Distinguished Research Award
Mohammad Samie Tootooni and Roozbeh Salary both received NSF Travel Grants, for the MSEC2016/NAMRC44 and NAMRC 44 respectively
Abdulaziz Ahmed, Nasim Nezamoddini, and Mandana Rezaeiahari were selected for the IIE Doctoral Colloquium
Saba Al-Sayouri, Amro Khasawneh, Qianqian Zhang and Yinglei Li, under the advisement of Nagen Nagarur, received best student paper for the Logistics and Supply Chain (LSC) Track of ISERC 2016
Tamika Gordon was acknowledged for service with the Emerging Leaders Program (ELP), and specifically its Global Awareness and Citizenship Knowledge Community
Abdulaziz Ahmed and Bichen Zheng received Graduate Student Awards for Excellence in Research
- SSIE and ME undergraduate students chosen for Design Weekend: selected as one of 32 top teams for their preliminary design report for the Hyperloop Project | November 29, 2015
- CoCo Center researches unexplored connections in different fields | BU Pipe Dream, November 29, 2015
- A framework co-developed by Hiroki Sayama could help future scientists improve their understanding of all types of networks | ScienceDaily, November 12, 2015
- Center for Collective Dynamics of Complex Systems (CoCo) launched on October 22. Many CoCo seminars to come in the Fall | DISCOVER-e, October 27, 2015
- The HFES student chapter won Bronze Award in the "National Ergonomics Month (NEM) Action Plan Competition". The action plan was submitted by Kaixiang Yu | October 2015
- Haneen Ali's paper "Developing a Fall-Prevention System for Nursing Homes" won 2nd Place for the "HFES Health Care Technical Group Best Student Paper Award" at the HFES International Annual Meeting | October 2015
- Congratulations to Dr. Daryl Santos and his S3IP colleagues for the recent news that the Integrated Electronics Engineering Center will be receiving $10 million in research funding from NYSTAR | Inside Staff, October 6, 2015SSIE's Professor Mark Poliks of Binghamton University will lead the New York node of a new $75 million, five-year federal initiative to advance flexible hybrid electronics manufacturing. - Inside, September 11, 2015
Chun-An Chou and Prahalad Rao received an NSF Award in excess of $200K
Prahalad Rao was featured in the Research Inside IIE Journals section (p. 52) of the September 2015 issue of Industrial Engineer magazine.
- Hiroki Sayama's proposal to establish a Center for Collective Dynamics of Complex Systems organized research center (ORC) is approved. - July 2015
Mohammad Khasawneh received a $1,666,163 award from Southern Tier Regional Economic Development Corporation for his project, "Southern Tier Telemedicine and Mobile Health Research, Development, and Training Center"
AcademyHealth 2015 Systems Science Scholar – Nasim Sabounchi
IIE 13th New Faculty Colloquium – Prahalad Rao & Nasim Sabounchi
Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery Program – Scott McAllister
- Graduate Student Research Grant from the Sustainable Communities TAE Steering Committee – Yinglei Li
Outstanding Graduate Director – Mohammad Khasawneh
- Delegates from Binghamton University visits The University of Electro-Communications (UEC) - August 2015
- The Binghamton University chapter of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) was awarded the Student Chapter Recognition GOLD Award in acknowledgement of the chapter's improvements, progress, and overall achievements in 2014-2015 | June 29, 2015
- Dean Leads International Programs | Summer 2015 Watson Review
- Grad Students Make Great Ambassadors | Summer 2015 Watson Review
- Women Stand Out in Health Systems Program | Summer 2015 Watson Review
- Professor Hiroki Sayama's book "Introduction to the Modeling and Analysis of Complex Systems" is the first Binghamton University publication to be added to Open SUNY. | August 13, 2015
Best in Conference Paper at the SMTA Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium, February 2015 – F. Batieha, F. Feyissa, S. Hamasha, S. Shirazi, L. Wentlent, P. Ogutu, N. Dimitrov, E. Fey, and P. Borgesen, “Intermetallics Issues and Challenges in 2.5/3D Assembly Microjoints”
STAR Professional Service Award – Tamara Lindow
Invitation as Visiting Scientist at the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems in Dresden, Germany (summer 2015) – Hiroki Sayama
NYS/UUP Individual Development Award – Sung Hoon Chung
Peck Family Scholarship for Undergraduate Conference Attendance – James Winkleblack
IEEC/GE/CPMT Electronics Packaging Symposium Poster Winners:1.First place: High Performance IGZO Thin Film Transistors on Flexible Glass; Josh Hewlett, Rajesh Vaddi, Bruce White, Mark Poliks2. Second place: Substrative Single Micron Metal Patterning on Flexible Glass; Robert Malay. Abhishek Nandur, Rajesh Vaddi, Bruce White, Mark Poliks
- Mining for organs: Watson SSIE researchers use data analysis to help boost organ donor numbers | Watson Review, 2015
- Paying it forward: Peck scholarship funds student conference attendance | Watson Review, 2015
- A positional Toll receptor code directs convergent extension in Drosophila | Nature, November 2, 2014
- Algorithms Reveal Forecasting Power of Tweets | Discover-E, September 10, 2014
- Two SWE students were able to attend the 2014 National SWE Conference with departmental support - Aria Niles and Meghana Jain
- IEEC/GE/CPMT Electronics Packaging Symposium Poster Winners:
First place: High Performance IGZO Thin Film Transistors on Flexible Glass; Josh Hewlett, Rajesh Vaddi, Bruce White, Mark Poliks
Second place: SubtractiveSingle Micron Metal Patterning on Flexible Glass; Robert Malay. Abhishek Nandur, Rajesh Vaddi, Bruce White, Mark Poliks
- Five SWE students were able to attend the 2014 National SWE Conference with departmental support – Lina Riveros, Amy Systma, Emily Niebour, Nancy Kamani and Katie Leenig
- Services for Students with Disabilities Faculty/Staff Recognition – April 25, 2014 – Professor Sang Won Yoon and Ms. Tamara Lindow
- World Transplant Congress – 3 posters of distinction – Professor Sang Wong Yoon and Benjamin Schleich
- IIE Student Chapter Recognition Award – Bronze – Sang Won Yoon (Faculty Advisor), Alexandra Flori (Student President)
- Peck Family Scholarship for Undergraduate Conference Attendance – Jennine Lopez
- Watson School Ambassador Awards – Wen Cao, Debiao Li, Karmel Shehadeh
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching – Professor Hal Lewis
- Michael P. Malone International Leadership Award – Dean Krishnaswami "Hari" SrihariChancellor's Award for Excellence in International Education - Dean Krishnaswami "Hari" Srihari
- IIE Fellow Award – Dean Krishnaswami "Hari" Srihari
- Congratulations to SSIE's Dasharathy N. Ramesh on being one of two recipients for Best Poster award for "Thin Film CZTS Solar Cell Using Sputtering Method" presented at the IMAPS New England Symposium held May 2013 in Boxborough, MA
- Congratulations Jeff Schmidt (Systems Science PhD student) for winning the best student paper award at the IEEE ALIFE 2013 conference!
- Congratulations to Connor D'Andria for receiving the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence!
- Congratulations to SSIE's Ehsan Alikhani for his 1st place win in the Fall 2012 Binghamton University Photography Contest!
- Answering the "What If" Systems scientists and industrial engineers harness the power of simulation to model better healthcare
- Our own Connor D'Andria is featured at Binghamton University's Inside Spotlight
- 2nd Runner up for a theoretical paper award at the 2012 Complex Adaptive Systems Conference, Sina Khanmohammadi, PhD SS student, Cihan Hayreddin Dagli, and Farnaz Zamani Esfahlani
- Sang Won Yoon & Chanchal Saha, PhD ISE Candidate; "Best Paper" award at SISE 2012 Conference
- 1st Place - Shantanu Joshi, MS ISE Candidate, for "LGA Solder Joints with Superior
2nd Place - Hema Sudarsanam, MS ISE Candidate, Mohammad M. Hamasha, Tara P. Dhakal, Susan Lu and Charles R. Westgate, for their poster "Comparing reliability of silver and silver chromium thin films on PET,
3rd Place - Mazin Obaidat, and Sa'D Hamasha, PhD ISE Candidates and Younis Jaradat, for their poster "Reliability of SAC305 under Variable Loading Conditions -- Effects of Amplitude",
2012 Electronics Packaging Symposium, Technology Advances in Small Scale Systems and Microelectronics Packaging, Oct 2012
- The SSIE Department congratulates Professor Santos on his appointment as the Editor of a new journal - Industrial and Systems Engineering Review (ISER)
- Systems Science PhD student Daniel Margolis is featured in Discover-e.
- Congratulations to the Spring 2012 Watson School's Dean List recipients.
- In recognition of the quality of their presentation at the day-long Senior Capstone Design presentations, Selenny Vasquez, Colin Walsh, and Professor Daryl Santos (Advisor) were selected for the MacDonald Family Prize in Senior Design.
- MS-ISE candidate, Takahiro Tanaka, won the best poster award from the August 10-12 Mayo Clinic Conference on Systems Engineering & Operations Research for "Infusion Chair Scheduling Optimization Applying Bin-Packaging Heuristics".
- Meaghan Malone, a junior industrial and systems engineer, credits the Alumni Association Scholarship with helping her achieve educational goals
- SSIE Department receives $2,053,375 in externally sponsored research funding
- The SSIE Department receives appreciation for their efforts and donations to CHOW during Cans Across America at Binghamton University
- On November 22, 2008, some ISE students participated in a joint project between Binghamton University's Engineers Without Borders society, the Boys & Girls of Western Broome Family Center and Lowes Home Improvement
- Led by Professor Koon, this spring, the ISE Softball team (Shamu) won the very competitive intramural fastpitch-softball championship
- Distinguished Professor Hari Srihari Receives the SMTA Member of Technical Distinction Award
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software Donation for SSIE gives Students a Competitive Edge
- $13.2 Million Software Grant from UGS Enhances Human Factors Instruction at Binghamton University
Outstanding SSIE Students
Watson School Recognition Ceremony
May 19, 2012
Katie C. Root Award for Graduate Students - Hadassah Head, MS in Systems Science
Outstanding Academic Achievement in Baccalaureate Students - Kevin Mei
Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Studies, Industrial and Systems Engineering - Joe Weiss
Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Studies, Systems Science - Keith Thompson
Service to the Department - Jason Houtenbrink
Student Speaker for Industrial and Systems Engineering
May 21, 2011
Katie C. Root Award for Graduate Students - Kari Sentz, PhD in Systems Science
Outstanding Academic Achievement in Baccalaureate Students - Matthew Sommerhalter
Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Studies, Industrial and Systems Engineering - Gary Cheung
Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Studies, Systems Science - Soumyaroop Mitra
Service to the Department - Hanh Q. Ngyuen and Akiev Samson
Student Speaker for Industrial and Systems Engineering
2009 Undergraduate Honors candidates
Xin Xin Zan
President's Award for Undergraduate Student Excellence