Phone: (607) 777.4437
Fax: (607) 777.4094
Peter Borgesen was born and educated in Denmark, worked in national laboratories there and in Germany, and came to Cornell University in 1986. During 8 years of research in the department of Materials Science and Engineering he developed, among other, a particular interest in the assessment of microelectronics reliability at both the chip and the packaging level. As a result he was recruited by Universal Instruments in Binghamton where he ended up managing a multimillion dollar manufacturing research effort conducted by a team of staff and graduate students and sponsored by an international consortium of companies from across the electronics industry. After 15 years at Universal Instruments he finally joined Binghamton University in January of 2009. He continues to maintain strong relations with industry but has also secured government funding for his ongoing research on electronics packaging and new initiatives on solar power technologies.
- PhD, Physics, University of Aarhus, Denmark, June 1982
- MSc, Physics & Mathematics, University of Aarhus, Denmark, December 1978
- manufacturing processes and reliability
- current emphasis on electronics packaging and solar cells
- cross disciplinary experimental research - Materials Science, Mechanics, Industrial Engineering - practical guidelines and models, incomplete data interpretation, statistics