Tuition Refunds/Adjustment

In order to obtain a refund, a student must officially withdraw/drop the course/s from their record (see the Registrar's Office for details) and specifically request a refund after courses are removed.

The date used to determine the tuition cost for a dropped course/s is the date the student or department drops the course in the on-line system. Non-attendance of classes does not classify as an official withdrawal, and does not relieve the student of his or her financial obligation or entitle the student to a refund.  

The academic drop deadline is not related to the deadlines for determining tuition liability.  The tuition refund schedule below has been established by the State University Board of Trustees. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: During the fall and spring terms, if a course remains on the student's record pass the midpoint of the term, the charges related to that course cannot be reduced under ANY circumstance except being called to "Active Military Duty".


Tuition Charge Adjustment Percentage if Withdrawal During
(Fees are NON-Refundable after the 1st Week)

      1st Week 2nd Week 3rd Week 4th Week 5th Week
Spring 2017
Full Term (13+ Weeks)











If the duration of the course you are dropping is less than a full term, please refer to the chart below to determine the percentage of the tuition adjustment if any:

  1st Week 2nd Week 3rd Week 4th Week  
12 week 100% 60% 40% 0%  
11 week 100% 50% 30% 0%  
10 week 100% 50% 30% 0%  
9 week 100% 45% 25% 0%  
8 week 100% 40% 20% 0%  
7 week 100% 35% 0%    
6 week 100% 30% 0%    
5 week 100% 25% 0%    

Second day of classes
Remainder of first week
4 week 100% 50% 0%
3 week 100% 35% 0%
2 week 100% 20% 0%
1 week or less No refund as of the first day of the term (0%) 0% 0%


Fees are non-refundable (no charge adjustment) after the first week of classes.


Room charge adjustments are prorated based on the date occupancy is acceptably terminated (determined by Residential Life).  For more information contact the Office of Residential Life at 607-777-2321

Meal Plan

On-campus dining plan charges are prorated based on a combination of when the dining plan is closed and how much food money has been consumed (determined by Sodexho Dining Services).

Timely Negotiate Refund Checks

Paper refund checks that are uncashed after one year are turned over to the State of New York as unclaimed funds. Once turned over, an owner would need to contact the Office of the State Comptroller, Office of Unclaimed Funds 110 State Street Albany, NY 12236; the phone number is 800-221-9311. It is important to keep your address and contact information current with the Registrar's Office. 



Last Updated: 2/23/17