Admission requirements

Consideration for admission into the Master of Science in Student Affairs Administration will be selective and applicants will be expected to have an academic record and informed interest in pursuing the program consistent with Binghamton University's norms for graduate study.  Admission is open to all individuals with a BA or a BS degree from a recognized college or university who meet the admissions requirements of Binghamton University's Graduate School.

All official Graduate School application materials are available through their website or by calling/writing the Graduate School. Contact info for the Graduate School can be found here. The mailing address is: Graduate School, Binghamton University, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, New York 13902-6000, (607)777-2151. Please submit the following materials to the Graduate School through the online application:

  • Undergraduate and Graduate Degree Transcripts
  • Two (2) Letters of recommendation from instructors or professors who can attest to the applicant's academic ability for graduate study. Applicants who have been out of college for at least three years may submit current letters of reference from employment supervisors or others affiliated with their employment who can attest to their ability to perform successfully and professionally and to the likelihood of success in a graduate program
  • A personal statement as part of the Graduate School application that addresses the applicant's interest in the program, career goals, and current skills and experiences relative to their current or intended career in student affairs
  • Resume or CV
  • The application payment form with appropriate payment
  • Submit these materials via instructions on the Graduate School website.  

Application Deadlines

Applications for the fall semester are considered on a rolling basis. We strongly recommend that prospective students wishing to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship or other departmental funding submit applications by February 1. Students applying after that date may be eligible for an assistantship or other financial support; however, we will give preference to students who apply by February 1. Although February 1 is the deadline for consideration for departmental funding, the MPA department will consider applications submitted at any point throughout the year.

Applications for the spring semester are considered on a rolling basis. Although, October 15 is the deadline for consideration for departmental funding, the MPA department will consider applications submitted at any point throughout the year. NOTE: funding may be limited or unavailable for spring semesters.

Student Affairs Administration Fast Track Application Process

The fast track option is designed to streamline the application process for applicants who finished/or will finish their Bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Prospective students who meet this criteria are able to apply to the Student Affairs Administration Program simply by submitting their transcripts, a personal statement, and resume. No letters of recommendation are required. 

How to Apply:

Individuals who wish to apply to the SAA Program through the Fast Track Application process should  email Brianna King at Applicants will then receive instructions on how to submit their information  through Binghamton University's Graduate School application portal.

International applicants

Applicants for whom English is a second language should also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores as part of their admissions application. The use of English, both in terms of understanding spoken and written language in terms of communicating that understanding is a necessary prerequisite for graduate work in the Department of Student Affairs Administration because communication is integral to the profession.

Records of international applicants require special evaluation and, therefore, should be submitted as early as possible. See the Graduate School Application for International Students. International students must also follow all of the above requirements.

Following the submission of admission applications, three SAA faculty members will begin reviewing application materials to determine the applicant's potential for academic success. After reviewing application materials, faculty recommendations are then made and sent to the Graduate School. The ultimate decision to offer admission into the SAA program rests with the Graduate School at Binghamton University.

Note regarding employment

Applicants should be aware that some states and institutions require background checks before employment. For positions that require professional licensure, states may restrict or deny professional licensure for people with felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions, or actions taken against them by a professional organization. In addition, students admitted to the program are required to satisfactorily complete an internship. For placement into an internship, offices and agencies may require personal information and conduct background checks. Offices and agencies have the right to refuse placements. Students may be required to and so then must obtain malpractice insurance before they are placed in internships with these requirements. The insurance agency requires disclosure of personal information including convictions and may or may not issue insurance coverage. Therefore, while the Department of Student Affairs Administration will work diligently to place students in internships, students admitted into the program are not guaranteed internship placement in an office or agency which is a requirement for graduation.

Transfer credits

Students may be permitted to transfer up to six credit hours of prior graduate-level student affairs-related coursework into the proposed program, but only at the discretion of and with approval by the chair of the program. Consideration will be given for courses taken within the last five years in which a B or higher was earned. Academic credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.

Last Updated: 11/21/16