Rental of 15 passenger vans is not allowed under any circumstances - including rental with removal of back seats. This is in response to the SUNY-Central University advisory of the potential for life threatening situations involving 15 passenger vans. This advisory stems from the National Traffic Safety Administration warning titled 'Rollover Propensity Of Fifteen Passenger Vans Due To The Static Stability Factor."
What You Should Know About Daily (Under 30 Days) Vehicle Rental
- The current New York State Passenger Vehicle Rental Contractor for Broome County is:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 3101 Stewart Road, Vestal, NY 13850, telephone 607-797-0900 or toll free at 1-800-736-8222.
- Hertz Car Rental, 2534 Airport Rd, Suite 19, Binghamton, NY 13790, telephone 607-729-6115.
- Passenger Car Rental for the Southern Tier is provided under State Contract PS61890 . Mention Corporate Discount Number NA24NYS when calling Enterprise. If booking online at www.enterprise.com, enter the appropriate Corporate Discount code in the box titled "Corporate Account" and if prompted for the first three numbers of the company name or PIN, enter STA.
- Always rent in the name of the State of New York.
- Reserve vehicles with Contractor at least 24 hours in advance of pick up time.Daily rental charge is calculated based on a continuous 24 hour period from the beginning to the end of the rental, not by calendar day. For example, a rental beginning (paperwork complete and car released) at 5:30 p.m. Monday and completed (vehicle returned) the following day at 5:30 p.m. is for one day.Roadside Assistance is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.The rental company must provide New York Statutory Liability limits of insurance in the amount of $25,000/$50,000/$10,000 plus statutory uninsured motorist and no fault coverage.When renting a vehicle, you must purchase Damage Waiver Protection (also known as "CDW" or "LDW") insurance from Enterprise. The State will reimburse this cost. Insurances NOT eligible for reimbursement are: Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), Personal Effects Protection (PEP) and Uninsured and Under insured Motorist Protection (UMP).In the event of a serious accident where the basic limits are exhausted, the state employee would be defended and indemnified under Public Officers Law, Section 17 (.pdf, 221 kb) subject to the conditions contained therein.
- If more than one employee will be driving the vehicle, the additional drivers must be listed on the rental contract; the maximum number of drivers per vehicle is six. The state should not pay additional charges for these drivers. Unauthorized persons should not be allowed to drive the vehicle.
- Those with Citibank Visa Travel cards do not have to purchase the damage waiver. Drivers are automatically covered. In the event of an accident, drivers must submit an online claim within 30 days of the accident.
New York State is protected for operation of vehicles owned, rented or used on its behalf, under our Self Insurance Program for auto liability.The Provinces of Ontario and Quebec have a reciprocity agreement exempting the State from the requirement for a Canadian Nonresident Inter provincial Motor Vehicle Insurance Card.
If an Employee is sued as a result of an accident in a rental vehicle, then the rental car company's insurance policy will defend and pay any award up to the limits carried by the rental car company. If the suit is for more than the coverage, the employee must request Public Officers Law Section 17 coverage from the Attorney General in writing within five days of the notification of the suit. If the employee was acting in the course of employment and the act was not malicious or intentional, the Attorney General may grant defense and indemnification for any award made.