PROVOST'S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
The Provost's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research honors Binghamton University students who have excelled in research, scholarship and creative activities that extend beyond traditional course work. Two awards will be made, each consisting of a certificate of achievement and an award of $750. Students awarded Honorable Mention will receive a certificate of achievement. All recipients will be invited to the annual student awards luncheon in the spring semester.
Any undergraduate at Binghamton University who is graduating during the 2013-2014 academic year and is in good academic standing is eligible.
Criteria for Nomination
The award honors excellence in faculty-mentored research and creative activities by undergraduate students that go beyond traditional coursework. These activities can be in any field; the nature of the endeavor will be defined by the academic discipline. At least a portion of the research/creative activity must have been performed under the supervision of a Binghamton faculty member.
All nomination materials should be submitted electronically by March 7, 2014 to Ashley Serbonich at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Janice McDonald at email@example.com with questions.
Nominations must be made by the unit’s (school/department/program) undergraduate director or chair. Each unit may nominate only two undergraduate students; nominees must be in their senior year and planning to graduate during the 2013-2014 academic year.
Application submission should include:
- Student's name
- Student's class year
- Student's email
- Name of the faculty mentor who supervised the research/creative activity
- Description of independent research/collaborative research/creative activities
- List and brief description of past and present experience(s), including the duration and nature of involvement.
- Papers/posters presented, publications, exhibits, performances
- Nominee's response to this question: What are your professional aspirations and how has this research experience assisted you in achieving these goals? (200-300 words)
- Letter of nomination – (from the unit/department)
- A current résumé
- At least three letters of recommendation