Student Life

Information on offices and programs within the Division of Student Affairs, including the Office of the Dean of Students, New Student Programs, Off-Campus Services andTransportation, Residential Life, the University Union, Center for Civic Engagement, Campus Recreation, and the Career Development Center, can be found in the Student Handbook.
[ top ]

Student Rights and Responsibilities

The Code of Student Conduct, published annually as part of the Student Handbook, outlines University rules for student conduct, student rights and conduct procedures. Students are responsible for reading this document and knowing the contents. These rules and procedures seek to provide an environment in which the rights of all members of the University community are protected. For more information, please see the Code of Student Conduct.

[ top ]

Student Conduct Process

Student conduct at Binghamton University is based on the Code of Student Conduct. For more information, please see the Code of Student Conduct.

[ top ]

Student Association

The Student Association (SA) is the independent representative organization that all undergraduate students automatically join upon attending Binghamton University. Entirely student run, its officers are elected by the student body in March and September. Over 300 student groups are chartered by the SA, which collectively provide academic and social programming open to all undergraduate students throughout the academic year. The SA’s community governments, organized by residential area, foster a shared sense of community among students. The Programming Board puts on large scale events such as Spring Fling and Binghamton’s annual music festival. Harpur’s Ferry, the SA’s student-run ambulance service, is recognized on the national level as the only agency in the country to win the National Collegiate EMS Agency of the Year Award twice. Off Campus College Transport (OCCT), the 21 bus fleet that is many student's primary means of transportation, is run by the SA. In addition to its own operations, the SA serves as an advocacy organization for University issues important to students and has voting representation on many University governance committees. To learn more about the SA and how to get involved, visit, email, or visit the office during business hours at University Union West 203 (to the right of M&T Bank above the Marketplace).

[ top ]

Graduate Student Organization

The Graduate Student Organization (GSO) is an organization that represents all Binghamton University graduate students. The mission of the GSO is to liaise between graduate students and university entities to ensure that graduate student needs are met. The GSO executive board consists of the president, vice president, treasurer, graduate assistant to the president, vice president for multicultural affairs and office manager. The office is located in Old Rafuse Hall, Rooms 114 and 116, and can be reached at 607-777-4247. For up-to-date information, please visit the GSO website at

[ top ]

Intercollegiate Athletics

The intercollegiate athletic program offers 21 varsity teams (11 men’s and 10 women’s) and competes in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I, America East Conference. A highly successful and competitive program, varsity sports for men include baseball, basketball, cross country, golf (Big Sky Conference); lacrosse, soccer, swimming and diving (Eastern College Athletic Conference), tennis (Mid-American Conference), track and field (indoor and outdoor), and wrestling (Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association). Binghamton’s women’s teams compete in basketball; cross country; lacrosse; soccer; softball; swimming and diving; tennis; track and field (indoor and outdoor); and volleyball. Additional opportunities to participate in varsity programs are available as student athletic trainers, managers, cheerleaders, dance squad, kickline and pep band. Altogether, close to over 500 Binghamton students have direct involvement with intercollegiate athletic programs each year, and are joined by thousands of supporters from the student body and the greater Binghamton community. As permitted by NCAA legislation, Binghamton University awards athletes financial aid or scholarships. Scholarship opportunities are available in all 21 varsity sports.

Intercollegiate athletic programs are conducted in accordance with the regulations of the NCAA; consequently, all prospective and continuing student athletes must meet NCAA academic and athletic standards. Incoming students may obtain information about the NCAA Eligibility Center from their high school guidance offices or visit the website at Questions involving eligibility should be directed to Binghamton’s NCAA compliance officer (607-777-2798) in the Intercollegiate Athletics Program.

[ top ]

Eligibility for Intercollegiate Athletics

In order for students to be eligible for both practice and competition in intercollegiate athletics at Binghamton University, they must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Student-athletes must be full-time matriculated students (“full time” at Binghamton University means enrollment in a schedule of 12 credit hours per semester).
  • Student-athletes must be in good academic standing (Binghamton University defines “good academic standing” as a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 for all University courses taken for credit). (NCAA Progress-Toward-Graduation requirements are: end of third semester, 90% of 2.0 equals 1.80; end of fifth semester, 95% of 2.0 equals 1.90; end of seventh and ninth semester, 100% of 2.0.)
  • Student-athletes must pass a minimum of six credit hours per semester.
  • Additionally, student-athletes must meet “Progress Toward Degree Requirements.”
  • Student-athletes must pass 24 credit hours before they enter their second year of full-time enrollment.
  • Student-athletes must have passed 18 credit hours since the beginning of the previous fall term or since the beginning of the preceding regular two semesters (hours earned during the summer may not be used to fulfill this requirement).
  • By the beginning of their third year of full-time enrollment, student-athletes must declare a major.
  • Additionally, student-athletes must fulfill 40 percent of their degree requirements by the beginning of their third year of full-time enrollment, 60 percent by the beginning of their fourth year of full-time enrollment, 80 percent by the beginning of their fifth year of full-time enrollment, if applicable. This applies to both transfer and continuing student-athletes.
  • The NCAA Eligibility Center must certify the eligibility (academic and amateurism) of all incoming freshmen for practice and competition.
  • All incoming transfers must meet the appropriate transfer requirements in order to be eligible for practice and competition.
[ top ]

Academic Advising

Undergraduates in each of the schools rely on their academic advising office for curricular information.

Harpur College uses a dual advising structure. Harpur Academic Advising provides students with general degree planning assistance. Students can obtain advice concerning majors or programs in Harpur College through departmental advising. Each of the professional schools provide academic advising through their respective advising offices.

Academic advising for graduate students is conducted through the programs, departments and schools in which they are registered. Non-matriculated undergraduate students and students in the Older Adults Program should seek academic advising in Harpur College Academic Advising.

[ top ]

University Counseling Center

The University Counseling Center (UCC) is dedicated to promoting psychological well-being that enriches personal and academic growth. The UCC provides short-term counseling to Binghamton University students. Staff use a variety of techniques, theoretical orientations and programs in their work with students. Training professionals is also an important component of UCC’s work on campus. The UCC connects with students, faculty and staff in a variety of ways in order to serve students. Call 607-777-2772 for appointments. See for more information about UCC services, programs and staff, as well as links to additional resources.
[ top ]

Interpersonal Violence Prevention Program

The mission of the Interpersonal Violence Prevention Program (, housed within the Division of Student Affairs , is to reduce the risk of interpersonal violence to Binghamton University students and to minimize the traumatic impact to students after any assaults through education, coordination, and advocacy. Call 607-777-3062 for additional information.

[ top ]

Decker Student Health Services Center

All students born on or after January 1, 1957, are required to submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. All students are also required to acknowledge receipt of information about meningitis and meningococcal vaccine and identify whether or not they have chosen or declined to be vaccinated. These are New York State Public Health Laws and a condition of class registration. Details about immunization requirements are available under the For New Students option at Immunization information is entered online at in accordance with the instructions found in the Education section of that site. Questions may be directed to the Decker Student Health Services Center at 607-777-2221.

All students must complete the Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening questions in the online medical history form found at and may (if indicated) need to provide proof of a negative PPD, negative IGRA, or chest x-ray performed in the U.S. or Canada within one year prior to entrance to Binghamton University. This information must be submitted to the Decker Student Health Services Center online no later than the fifth Friday after classes begin, in the student’s first semester of full-time status or readmission. It is recommended that students complete the entire online medical history form. A physical examination is encouraged.

New students may submit their completed forms online at the time of admission and send supporting documentation to the Decker Student Health Services Center. After entering their information online, transfers may submit copies of their health forms from their former schools as documentation, providing they contain all the information required by the Decker Student Health Services Center.

The Decker Student Health Services Center, located in the Health Service building, is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., when classes are in session; summer and holiday hours vary. The clinic is staffed by physicians, including a part-time psychiatrist, nurse practitioners, registered professional nurses, and an HIV test counselor. Walk-in services are available from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. with scheduled appointments in the afternoon. Urgent care needs are evaluated throughout the day. The Decker Student Health Services Center does not have an inpatient (overnight) service. Emergency medical care is provided by a student-run ambulance service 24 hours per day, seven days each week, year round.

Office visits are prepaid by the student health fee; no office charge is incurred at the time of the visit. The health fee also makes many medications and common medical supplies available at no cost when ordered by the Decker Student Health Services Center medical staff. However, students are responsible for paying bills related to most laboratory tests, certain elective immunizations and injectable medications, and any off-campus referrals.

The Decker Student Health Services Center does not routinely issue medical excuses for missed classes, exams, papers and other academic assignments. Students are encouraged to make individual arrangements with their instructors when illness interferes with coursework. Students may sign release-of-information forms to allow the Decker Student Health Services Center staff to discuss their medical problems with their instructors, should the instructor choose to phone the clinic.

All student health records are confidential, and no information is released to anyone without the signed authorization of the student to do so. Exceptions to this policy are in cases of a court-ordered subpoena, where concern is for the safety of the student or others or when the Health Service Center is required to report certain conditions to the public health department.

Students sometimes have medical problems or accidents requiring care that is not provided at the Health Service Center. Care in the community is often very costly, and for this reason all students are strongly advised to carry adequate insurance.

DOMESTIC STUDENTS: Undergraduate students taking 12 or more credits are required to enroll in the student sickness and accident plan unless information is submitted naming an alternate coverage. Information on the process to waive the Student Sickness and Accident Plan can be found at Graduate students, part-time students and dependents of enrolled students are encouraged to consider enrolling in this campus program, but are not obligated to do so.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: International students are required to enroll in a separate health insurance program, which is different from the domestic student health insurance plan described above. Information regarding international student health insurance can be found on the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website at

Web-based information about the Decker Student Health Services Center is available at

[ top ]

International Student and Scholar Services

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services provides programs and services for Binghamton University students who are in the United States on non-immigrant visas. The office is the central reference source for 2,841 international students and approximately 70 international scholars on campus (Fall 2015 enrollment figures). Services include issuance of required federal visa documents; assistance with immigration regulations governing enrollment, employment and travel; administering the mandatory health and accident insurance program; and publishing a monthly electronic newsletter, which provides important and timely information on a variety of topics. The office conducts an orientation program for all new international students, coordinates a variety of cross-cultural programs and acts as liaison between students and other University offices, student groups and U.S. and foreign government agencies.

International students on non-immigrant visas are required to visit the Office of International Student and Scholar Services when they arrive on campus, and are encouraged to maintain close contact with the office throughout the year.

[ top ]

Services for Students with Disabilities

Binghamton University is firmly committed to the provision of equal access and opportunity for all students, regardless of disability. Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) offers a wide range of assistance to Binghamton University students with physical, learning, or other disabilities. Students registering with SSD are respected as adults and are expected to take an active role in the arrangement and management of their services and accommodations.

Key services include supportive counseling, consultation, advocacy for appropriate reasonable accommodations, academic support services, access to adaptive computer technology, and the loan of specialized equipment. Physical access features include automatic doors on all academic buildings, accessible on-campus housing through Residential Life, and assistive listening systems for patrons with hearing impairments in the various lecture halls and the Anderson Center for the Arts. Off-Campus College Transport operates wheelchair-accessible transportation to, from, and on campus; and disability parking is available at strategic locations throughout the campus.

For a comprehensive overview of office philosophy, disability documentation guidelines and support services, we invite you to visit the SSD website at Students with questions or requests related to their individual needs may visit us in the University Union (Room UU-119) or contact us by phone (607-777-2686 voice/TT), mail (Services for Students with Disabilities, Binghamton University, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, New York 13902-6000), or e-mail (

[ top ]

Veterans Services

The University welcomes veterans. The Admissions Office recognizes the maturity of veterans as a positive factor and is sensitive to the impact that extenuating circumstances may have upon academic records. For these reasons, admission criteria for veterans often vary from those used for other applicants. Each veteran is urged to submit, as part of the application, a personal statement on his or her behalf and a military transcript if available, which the Admissions Office will consider carefully as the admission decision is made.

Enrolled students may be eligible for educational benefits from the Veterans Administration under Chapter 30 — Montgomery GI Bill; Chapter 31 — Vocational Rehabilitation; Chapter 32 — Veterans Educational Assistance Program; Chapter 33 — Post 9/11 GI Bill; Chapter 35 — Survivors/Dependents; Chapter 1606 — Selected Reserves; Chapter 1607 — Reserve Education Assistance Program; or Section 901 —Educational Assistance Test Program.

Upon acceptance to the University and prior to each semester of attendance, veterans who are enrolling should contact the TRIO/Veterans Office in order to complete and submit the appropriate forms relating to their benefits.

[ top ]

Academic Credit from Military Transcript

Binghamton University will award one credit for Basic Training in one of the branches of the U.S. military, as indicated on the Joint Services Transcript or the ACE transcript; additional credits may be awarded for other military experience and will be evaluated on an individual basis by the academic advising offices. Students with foreign military service on a college transcript should contact their academic advising office for more information. If a student produces a college or university transcript which shows more than one credit for basic training, the number of credits on that transcript may awarded to the student.

[ top ]

Eight Keys to Veterans' Success

Binghamton University recognizes the significant value that student veterans bring to our campus and believe that it is important that we ensure that veterans receive the best possible educational experience. We are committed to implementing, and sharing, promising practices as outlined in the “Eight Keys to Veterans' Success."

  • Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
  • Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
  • Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
  • Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
  • Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
  • Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
  • Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
  • Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
[ top ]

Campus Pre-School and Early Childhood Center

The Campus Pre-School and Early Childhood Center offers full- and half-day programs for children from 18 months of age through pre-K. It is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri., for child care. The center is staffed with dedicated professionals who offer developmentally appropriate opportunities to advance perceptual skills, large and small motor coordination, science and nature study, socialization, art, music and movement in a nurturing classroom atmosphere. Children are encouraged to develop independence and celebrate the joy of discovery in a safe, stimulating environment.

[ top ]


The Campus Pre-School and Early Childhood Center gives enrollment priority to children of students, then to faculty and staff. Children from the Binghamton community are enrolled as space permits. There is usually a waiting list, so contact the office at 607-777-2695 for an information packet. Tuition discounts are available to Binghamton University graduate and undergraduate students.

The Campus Pre-School and Early Childhood Center is a not-for-profit corporation operating under a formal memorandum of understanding with the University. It is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and licensed by the state of New York. The facility is located behind the East Gym.