Financial Information

[ top ]

Estimated Basic Costs

As a state-assisted public university, Binghamton has moderate costs. For a full listing of fees and payment plans, see the Student Accounts Office. For the 2016-17 academic year, increases are expected for housing and meal rates, as well as for some fees.

Undergraduate Costs (for the Fall 2016 Semester)

Tuition and fees for New York residents:


— Summer Session and part-time students tuition only:

$270 per credit

Tuition and fees for non-residents:


— Summer Session and part-time students:

$816 per credit

Double residence-hall room and Dining Plan C:


Graduate Costs (for the Fall 2015 Semester)

Tuition and fees for New York residents:


— Summer session and part-time students tuition only:

$453 per credit

Tuition and fees for non-residents:


— Summer session and part-time students:

$925 per credit

All costs are subject to change without prior notice. For updated information, see the Student Accounts webpage: after June 2016.

[ top ]


[ top ]

Matriculated Students, Full Time

Matriculated students are charged a full semester’s tuition for a schedule of 12 credit hours or more.

Per semester



New York Residents



MBA students


MA Social Work


Nursing DNP Resident


Out-of-state Residents



MBA students


MA Social Work


Nursing DNP Non Resident


[ top ]

Matriculated Students, Part Time Tuition Only

Students taking fewer than 12 credit hours are considered part-time students and are charged by the credit hour.

Per Credit Hour, Each Semester



New York Residents



MBA students


MA Social Work


Nursing DNP Resident


Out-of-state Residents



MBA students


MA Social Work


Nursing DNP Non Resident


[ top ]

Non-Matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students enrolled for 11 credit hours or fewer are charged tuition by the credit hour in accordance with the level of the individual course or courses.

Per Credit Hour



New York residents



Out-of-state residents



Non-matriculated students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours are charged minimum and maximum rates as follows.

Per Semester

New York Residents





Out-of-State Residents





[ top ]

Residence Requirements

For tuition billing purposes, mere presence in New York state does not in itself constitute legal residence in the state. Students who are defined as New York state residents are those who, prior to the beginning of the semester, have established a permanent domicile in New York state. Students in college may not gain residential status unless they can establish that their previous domicile has been abandoned and a new one established in New York for purposes other than attending the University. Proof of domicile is based on intention to remain in New York state. Factors relevant in determining domicile are residence of parents (in case of unemancipated students), site of driver’s license and motor vehicle registration, place of voter registration, financial independence, residence for personal income tax purposes, etc.

An unemancipated student’s domicile is that of the parent or legal guardian. Any student claiming emancipation to establish a domicile in New York must submit evidence of emancipation and of the establishment of domicile. Evidence of emancipation must include the establishment of financial independence. Factors relevant to financial independence include, but are not limited to, employment on a full- or part-time basis, sources and extent of other income, place of residence during summer and school vacations, parental claim of the student as a dependent exemption on federal and state income tax returns, independent filing by student of federal or state income tax return, etc.

Students on non-immigrant alien visa types A3, B1, B2, C1, C2, C3, D1, F1, F2, H1, H2, H3, J1, J2, K1, K2, M1, M2, O1, O2, O3, P1, P2, P3, P4, Q or R are probably not eligible to be considered New York state residents, regardless of their length of stay. Students who are holders of A1, A2, E1, E2, H1, H4 and all G, I and L visas are probably eligible to be considered as New York state residents if domiciled in New York state; however, the residency application must be filed by the student and reviewed by the Student Accounts Office.

In accordance with legislation amendment 7784, under Section 355 of New York Education Law, a student who attends a New York state high school for at least two years and earns a New York state high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma may be eligible to pay the in-state tuition rate. Such students should complete Part A of the Residency Application and submit it to the Student Accounts Office prior to the end of the registration period for each term. Additionally, undocumented students should also complete Part B of the Residency Application, which is the "Student Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status" and also submit the Part B to the Student Accounts Office.

[ top ]

Residency Determination Appeal Process

The Office of Student Accounts processes all residency applications for tuition billing purposes. Students and prospective students are notified in writing of the residency decisions. Students who wish to appeal their residency determination may file an appeal with the University Residency Appeals Committee, Binghamton University, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, New York 13902-6000, whose decision is final.

[ top ]

Tuition Refunds

Refunds are determined on the basis of the date courses are removed from a student’s record. Non-attendance in a course does not constitute removal of a course. To drop courses, students must complete the necessary forms in the Financial Aid and Student Records Office. After completing these forms, students must complete the Request for Refund forms available in the Student Accounts Office.

Students who cancel registration in whole or in part are entitled to refund of tuition in accordance with the following schedule. (This applies to semester-length courses. In all other cases, consult Student Accounts.)

Refund during:

First week


Second week


Third week


Fourth week


Fifth week


Mandatory fees are non-refundable after the first week of classes for semester-length courses. The first day that classes are offered, as scheduled by Binghamton University, is considered the first day of the semester; the first week of classes, for purposes of refunds, is deemed to have ended when seven calendar days, including the first day of scheduled classes, have elapsed.

Students required to withdraw for disciplinary reasons are not entitled to any refund of tuition or fees.

Students who withdraw to enter military service (active duty) are granted full tuition and University fee refunds for a semester in which academic credit is not received.

Students who withdraw for medical reasons may request a full tuition refund. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. The rates listed below are those assessed on a semester based upon full time attendance. Fees that are prorated for based upon part time attendance are notated.

[ top ]

Undergraduate Fees

State University of New York application


Academic Record Fee


Campus Life Fee*


Career Resource Fee


Academic Support Service Fee


Health Fee* $186
ID Card Fee $5
Intercollegiate Athletic Fee* $287.50
Recreation Fee* $56
Technology Fee* $366
Transportation Fee* $92.50
University Fee* $12.50
Health Insurance (Undergraduate)** fall $738.75
Health Insurance (Undergraduate)** spring $1,034.25
Activity Fee, full-time student, per semester $99
Academic Excellence and Success Fee $187.50

*Fees are prorated for part-time students based upon number of credits enrolled.

**Mandatory for all undergraduate full-time students unless Insurance Waiver Form is filed. Optional for all other students.

[ top ]

Graduate Fees

State University of New York application, per program, online (no paper applications)


Non-degree application


Full-Time Activity Fee, nine or more credits


Part-time Activity Fee, less than nine credits

$7.25 credit

Academic Record Fee $5
Health Fee* $186
ID Card Fee $5
Recreation Fee $56
Technology Fee* $366
Transportation Fee* $92.50
University Fee* $12.50
Academic Excellence and Success Fee $187.50

*Fees are prorated for part-time students based upon number of credits enrolled.

Other Fees

Health insurance**



Health insurance**



Administrative Fee


Late Payment Fee


Returned Check Fee


Late Add/Drop Fee, per transaction


Parking Fee, per semester


Parking Fee, per year


Replacement ID Card Fee


Replacement Diploma Fee


**Mandatory for all undergraduate full-time students unless Insurance Waiver Form is filed. Optional for all other students.

[ top ]

Graduate Degree Completion Fees*

Dissertation Processing Fee


Thesis Processing Fee


Binding Fee for additional paper copies (optional)

$10 per copy

Copyrights Fee (optional)


*Please see the Graduate School Student Handbook at for complete details.

[ top ]

Mandatory Fees

(All students are required to pay these fees in order for the University to make these services available to the entire campus community. These are not user fees and cannot be waived.

Mandatory Fees:

Academic Excellence and Success Fee: The Academic Excellence and Success Fee is used to improve student/faculty ratios and instruction, reduce time to degree, and increase student diversity and research opportunities.

Academic Record Fee: This fee is to assist in the processing and storage of student permanent records. For more information, visit the Registrar's website at

Academic Support Services Fee: Tutorial services for undergraduate students are partially supported by this fee, allowing tutorial services at all levels of academic performance. For more information visit

Activity Fee: Undergraduates—This fee funds approximately 170 student organizations and clubs. The Student Association allocates funds annually. For details, contact the Student Association at 607-777-6503. Graduates—This fee is used to provide funds to each graduate department for speakers, programs, activities and conferences. For details, contact the Graduate Student Organization at 607-777-4247.

Intercollegiate Athletic Fee: The athletic fee, charged to undergraduate students only, supports Binghamton University's Division I intercollegiate athletics program and campus athletics facilities. Athletic fee revenues are used to cover all types of costs related to the athletics program, including expenses such as travel, officiating, facilities preparation, telephone, sports equipment and uniforms. This fee is charged only to undergraduate students. More information is available at the Athletics Department website,

Campus Life: The campus life fee, charged to undergraduate students only, enables the University and students to provide programming opportunities during the academic year, with special emphasis on Late Nite Binghamton programs on weekends. More information on Late Nite Binghamton is available at

Career Resource Fee: This fee supports technology-based career resources that provide job, internship and career information for undergraduate students. For more information, visit the Career Development Center's website at

CCPA Program Fee: This fee is assessed to all students enrolled in the College of Community and Public Affairs.

Health Office Fee: All students support and are eligible for services at the Decker Student Health Services, including medical care for illness and injury, psychiatry, women's health care, immunization services, health education consultations, and HIV testing. Many medications ordered by staff providers and medical supplies are covered by this fee, as is public health management of infectious disease outbreaks when these occur. The health fee does not cover health insurance. More information is available online at

ID Card Fee: This fee covers the expense of producing the University identification card and related security, financial, and service access components.

Recreation Fee: The recreation fee, charged to all students, enables Campus Recreation Services to offer programs intended to enrich the overall educational experience of students at the University. Programs include Club Sports, Wellness Services, Intramural Sports, Outdoor Pursuits and Open Recreation. More information is available at

SOM Fee: This fee is charged to all students of the School of Management.

Technology Fee: The technology fee, charged to all students, is used to support a number of services provided for student use by Computing Services and Educational Communications. Services include the Blackboard online course system, the campus computing network, Internet connections, classroom technology, e-mail service, computer PODs, the Help Desk and many other technology applications. More information is available at

Transportation Fee: The transportation fee, charged to all students, supports mass transportation (bus) services to and from campus. Contracts with Broome County Transit and Off Campus College Transit Inc. (OCCT) provide comprehensive coverage to the Greater Binghamton region. More information on OCCT is available at Broome Transit is the local county-operated bus service that covers an extended region.

Watson School Program Fee: This fee is assessed to all students enrolled in the Watson School.

University Fee: The University fee is mandatory for all SUNY students. This fee is charged to all enrolled students by authority of the Board of Trustees.

International Student Administration Fee: Supports certain federally mandated services and staff salaries in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for students with F and J visas. Questions about this fee should be directed to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at (607) 777-2510. For more information visit

[ top ]


Advance Deposit (credited to the student account balance):

all new undergraduates


all new graduate students


Room Deposit (credited to student account balance):

returning residents, fall


returning residents, spring


[ top ]

Dining Plan Rates

Undergraduates who live in one of the residence halls (other than Hillside or Susquehanna communities) are required to participate in a University dining plan. Graduates and undergraduates living in Susquehanna or Hillside communities may elect one of the resident dining plans. Information on 2013-14 plans will be available from Sodexho Campus Services in midsummer. For updated information on rates, see dining rates after June 2013.

[ top ]

Dining Plan Refunds

Refunds of dining plan payments are permitted only under one of the following circumstances:

  1. A student withdraws from the University.
  2. A student obtains a medical exemption from the dining plan from the University physician.

Students who register but do not attend the University receive a full refund of their entire dining plan payment.

The dining plan refund is computed on a prorated basis of the dining charge for the semester (see below). Students receive the appropriate refund, providing that the amount of funding in their account is equal to or greater than the anticipated refund.

For the purpose of prorating refunds, weekly increments are used and students eating for part of the week are charged for the full week. Refunds are prorated according to the following schedule:

Week 1

85 percent

Week 2

75 percent

Week 3

65 percent

Week 4

55 percent

Week 5

45 percent

Week 6

35 percent

Week 7

25 percent

Week 8

15 percent

Week 9

5 percent

There are no refunds after the ninth week of the semester.

Additional deposits of spending money made prior to or during the ninth week are prorated in the same manner as the initial payments to the dining plan. For this reason, students are advised not to make discretionary deposits until after the ninth week of the semester.

[ top ]

Outstanding Obligations

Students who owe money to the University, payments on a University loan or a Title IV financial aid repayment are denied registration privileges. Transcripts and diplomas are withheld until all debts are satisfied.

In addition, any debts owed to the University and not paid on a timely basis are forwarded to a collection agency and/or the New York State Attorney General’s Office for collection. Accounts forwarded to collection agencies or the Attorney General’s Office are assessed additional collection costs and interest charges.

[ top ]


Below are proposed rates for 2016-17 and are subject to change.

[ top ]

College-in-the-Woods, Dickinson, Hinman, Mountainview and Newing

College-in-the-Woods Semester Total Year
Double $4,402 $8,804
Double (Break Housing) $4,703 $9,406
Triple $4,813 $9,626
Double $4,941 $9.882
Single $5,379 $10,758
Old Digman Health and Wellness $4,402 $8,804
Double $4,402 $8,804
Triple $4,813 $9,626
Double $4,886 $9,772
Double (Break Housing) $5,187 $10,374
Designed Triple (Break Housing) $5,053 $10,106
Double $4,896 $9,792
Double (Break Housing) $5,187 $10,374
Single $5,379 $10,758
Single (Break Housing) $5,614 $11,228
Designed Triple $4,813 $9,626
Designed Triple (Break Housing) $5,053 $10,106

[ top ]

Other Housing

Semester Total Year
Hillside and Susquehanna - single $4,985 $9,970
Hillside and Susquehanna - super single $5,677 $11,354
Susquehanna - family apartment $6,914 $13,828
Documented and approved medical single $5,381 $10,762

For additional information on University housing, see the Residential Life website at

[ top ]

Housing Refunds

  • Continuing students assigned to University housing must cancel their fall semester housing by March 8, 2016. A student who participated in the March housing sign-ups must cancel their fall semester housing by June 6, 2016. A new student must cancel within 14 calendar days of notification of housing assignment until August 19, 2016. A request to cancel after the 14-day deadline and/or August 19, 2016 (whichever comes first) will be denied if the student is enrolled during the term of the housing license; he or she will be required to pay the entire room charge for the fall and spring semesters.
  • Residents who withdraw for the fall semester after November 27, 2016, but remain students at the University for the spring 2017 semester must fulfill the terms of the University Housing License for the spring semester and remain in University housing.
  • Fall 2016 residents may request permission to cancel their housing for the spring semester due to graduation, study abroad, exchange program, academic dismissal, transfer of schools, withdrawal, or military service. A Request for Housing Cancellation must be submitted and approved no later than November 18, 2016, at 4:30 p.m. to avoid a $200 late cancellation charge. Approved cancellations after November 18, 2016, will result in a $200 late cancellation charge.
  • New spring semester students must cancel their spring housing within 14 calendar days of notification of housing assignment until January 11, 2017. A request to cancel after this deadline and/or January 11, 2017, (whichever comes first) will be denied if the student is enrolled during term of the housing license; he or she will be required to pay the entire room charge for the spring semester
[ top ]

Accident and Sickness Insurance for Students

The student health fee does not pay for medical charges for off-campus providers or facilities. Students must have adequate accident and sickness insurance. Undergraduate students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the campus-sponsored plan, which offers worldwide coverage and a full choice of providers. Students who already have comparable health insurance coverage may waive enrollment and related charges. Information on the waiver process can be found at If the University plan is waived, please be sure that the current health insurance coverage can be used for inpatient/outpatient services and specialist referrals in the Binghamton community. Students are responsible for knowing the limitations and special considerations of their respective health plans.

The student’s status relative to insurance will be continued in subsequent academic years unless the student acts to change that status. A brochure detailing the cost and the provisions of this accident and sickness insurance is available through the Student Accounts Office or the Decker Student Health Services Center. Costs and benefits are subject to change from year to year. Call the Decker Student Health Services Center at 607-777-2221 for current information or with questions. The Decker Student Health Services Center website is Graduate students, part-time students and dependents of enrolled students are encouraged to consider enrolling in the campus program, but are not obligated to do so. International students are required to enroll in a separate health insurance program. Information regarding international student health insurance can be found on the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website at

[ top ]

Insurance for International Students

International students in non-immigrant status (F-1, J-1, etc.) and students participating in overseas study programs are required by the State University of New York to purchase a special SUNY health and accident insurance policy designed specifically for them. Dependents of J-1 students and scholars are required by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, to purchase insurance as well. Students are charged on a semester basis, with Fall coverage in effect Aug. 15-Jan. 15 and Spring coverage in effect Jan. 14-Aug. 15. Since Fall-semester coverage is for a five-month period and Spring coverage is for seven months, the insurance fee is higher in the Spring. Overseas study participants may select shorter coverage periods matched to the length of their program. Insurance rates are reviewed each year and are subject to change. The policy is comprehensive and provides benefits not found in standard insurance policies, such as medical evacuation and repatriation. Coverage for dependents is also available.

Deadline for submission of the international health insurance adjustment/waiver form is February 15 for the Spring semester and October 15 for the Fall semester. To file a waiver or adjustment request go to: Filing a request does not guarantee a wavier or adjustment. You must either be a Graduate Assistant (G.A.), Teaching Assistant (T.A.) or Research Assistant (R.A.) funded through Binghamton University and enrolled in employee health insurance, -or- you must meet the standards for comparable coverage outlined on the ISSS Health Insurance web page located through the above link.

The policy is administered by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (Room LSG 500 (ground floor) of Bartle Library on the Binghamton University campus, 607-777-2510, Detailed information on the policy, as well as claims assistance, may be obtained there. For policy information, visit

[ top ]

Payment Procedures

[ top ]

Electronic Billing

The Student Accounts Office creates your electronic bill (E-bill) based on actual registration for tuition and fees at the time the E-bill is generated. In the absence of registration, an E-bill will be generated if there is a balance from other charges such as room, dining (if applicable) or other miscellaneous charges such as Library Fines, Parking Fines, Room Damages, etc. E-BILL NOTIFICATION: Student Accounts sends semester E-Bill notifications via email to the STUDENT to their BU email address. The E-bill notification includes the balance due, the due date, and a link to access the E-bill statement on-line via QuikPAY.

If the student would like the billing notification sent to their parents, guardian or another person, they MUST add that person as an Authorized Payer on his/her QuikPAY account. This is the only way anyone other than the student can receive electronic E-bill notification. This is also the only way to gain access to view, print and pay your student's bill.

[ top ]

Billing Cycle

Binghamton University will generate monthly E-bill statements starting in August for the fall term and in January for the spring term. Students will receive a monthly E-bill statement via email (issued around the 1st of the month) with a balance due and a due date if a balance remains from a prior month or if there is new activity on the account. PLEASE NOTE: It is important to review your QuikPAY account regularly.

[ top ]

Due Date & Fees

If payment is not made in full by the due date on the E-bill statement, the account is subject to a $30 fee.

[ top ]

Payment Plan

Binghamton University has partnered with Nelnet Business Solutions to offer an affordable, web-based semester payment plan. The payment plan provides you with the opportunity to divide your student account payments into equal installments for a specified number of months. The payment plan option is offered to you interest-free, and depending on when you enroll, will allow you to spread your payments over a period of up to four months (Fall: Sep., Oct., Nov., Dec.; Spring: Feb., Mar., Apr., May). A non-refundable enrollment fee of $40 per term is required to activate the payment plan. Payment plans are available for the Fall and Spring terms and you must re-enroll each semester. You MUST sign up on-line, payment plans cannot be processed in the Student Accounts Office. For more information click on Payment Plan on the left menu.

[ top ]


Accounts that have not signed up for a payment plan and still have a balance on their account at the end of the 6th week of classes will have an Accounts Receivable (AR) hold placed on their record. If there is a hold on the student's record, he or she will not be permitted to participate in ANY registration activities (add or drops) or obtain transcripts until the balance is paid in full.

[ top ]


As a New York State agency, Binghamton University is required by Section 18 of the State Finance Law to follow certain collection procedures for past due debts. (For Section 18 details please visit NYS Finance Section 18 site.)

The law states: debts owed to the University that are not paid by the end of the term will be forwarded to a collection agency or the NYS Attorney General's office. Once a student's account is sent to a collection agency or the NYS Attorney General's Office, the student is made ineligible to attend the University until the debts are satisfied. Any registration for a future or upcoming term will be cancelled. The student will be assessed additional collection costs, penalties and interest. The debt will be reported to the major credit bureaus, thus negatively impacting the student's credit rating.

[ top ]

Paying Your Bill

[ top ]


  1. Log into BU Brain Self Service at
  2. Find the "Student Tools" menu. Click on the "Student Accounts" menu. Click on the "QuikPAY-Web Payments" and re-enter your username and password.
  3. Once in QuikPAY, click on "View Accounts" to view, print and pay the bill. Payment can be made by an electronic check or savings payment (account and routing numbers required) or with a credit card (we accept all major credit cards).
  4. If paying by mail, print your E-bill statement and mail to:

Student Accounts
P.O. Box 6003
Binghamton, NY 13902-6003

Please make your check or money order payable to Binghamton University. Payments must be received in the office by the due date listed on your E-bill statement.

[ top ]


  1. Log into BU Brain Self Service at
  2. Find the "Student Tools" menu. Click on the "Student Accounts" menu. Click on the "QuikPAY-Web Payments" and re-enter your username and password.
  3. On the left menu in QuikPAY you will find an "Add Authorized Payer" link. If the student would like the E-bill notification sent to his/her parents, guardian or another person, they MUST add that person/s as an Authorized Payer on their QuikPAY account. This is the only way for anyone other than the student to receive an E-bill notification and to gain access to view, print and pay your student's bill.

Each time an E-bill statement is posted, the student and any Authorized Payers listed on his/her account will receive E-bill notification via email. The student's E-bill notification will be sent to their Binghamton University email account.

[ top ]


If there is an overpayment on the student's account, the refund will be issued payable to the STUDENT regardless of the source of payment. The only refunds issued to someone other than the student are the proceeds of the Parent PLUS Loan that exceed the charges on the account.

Paper refund checks are printed ONCE a week. Students are notified via email to pick up their refund check. If the refund check is not picked up within 21 days the check is mailed to the permanent address of record.

However, if the student signs up for Direct Deposit they will receive a refund within TWO business days (depending on your bank). If the student wishes to receive refunds directly in his/her checking or savings account they may sign up for Direct Deposit at the BU Brain.

[ top ]

Privacy Protection

Federal regulations and student privacy protection policies prohibit us from giving detailed information to callers unless they:

  1. have the University ID (B#) for the student and
  2. are the student or an "Authorized Payer"

Also, for the student's protection, email correspondence with our office will be limited to general process and policy information only.

[ top ]

Confirmation of Enrollment

What is Confirmation of Enrollment?

We are required to confirm your acceptance of charges and your review of required policies, and to be assured students have reviewed and understand the Board of Trustees policies when they enroll in classes. We ask students to certify their understanding by completing the Confirmation of Enrollment form. If students fail to certify their understanding, we cannot offer them enrollment. If confirmation of enrollment is not completed by THE END OF THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES, course registration will be canceled and the seats will be made available to other students. No prior notification of cancellation will be sent. Students who register for classes during the first week of classes must immediately confirm their enrollment or they are subject to cancellation at the end of the week.

Students are asked to certify their understanding by completing the Confirmation of Enrollment process every term.

By “Confirming Enrollment,” I agree to:

  • Accept financial liability for tuition and fees.
  • Understand that changes to registration will be assessed according to the SUNY Board of Trustees refund/adjustment schedule (see Tuition Refunds, above).
  • Understand that all billing notification is electronic and it is my responsibility to monitor my account and give access to authorized payers.
  • Agree to make payment by the established deadline and acknowledge that late and/or partial payments are subject to additional fees.
  • Understand that outstanding balances will result in a hold that will prohibit access to all registration activities and transcripts.
  • Authorize Binghamton University to use any available financial aid to pay any balance due.
[ top ]

Financial Aid

Financial Aid and Student Records works with students to explore all federal and state funding options available. Financial aid consists of grants, loans, scholarships and part-time employment. Basic responsibility for financing higher education rests with students and their families; assistance from federal/state/institutional resources is offered to help families finance their student's education.

[ top ]

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students applying for financial assistance must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA is the standard application for federal, state and institutional aid. Students must file online at New York state residents should also complete a Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application upon completion of the FAFSA. The TAP link is provided on the FAFSA confirmation page. If missed, students can complete and sign a TAP application online with New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) at Students apply for most forms of financial assistance listed in this publication by filing these forms and submitting any other documentation that is requested to the school or HESC. More detailed information about the financial aid process, types of aid, guidelines, etc. is available at

[ top ]

Recommended FAFSA Filing Dates

It is recommended that returning students (other than newly admitted students) who wish to be considered for financial aid administered by the University complete and submit their FAFSA by April 1 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester. FAFSAs can still be submitted after these dates; they must be received before the last day of the student's enrollment during that aid year. Campus-based funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to students who file by recommended deadline and demonstrate the greatest financial need and academic achievement. If income information is not available at the time of filing, estimated income can be used. Note: a correction to update the FAFSA with actual income once the tax return is filed with the IRS (via the IRS Data Retrieval Tool), may be required before disbursement of any federal aid funds.

[ top ]

Information Required to Determine Eligibility for Financial Aid

In most cases, a financial aid award offer will be made without all of the required documentation being received. However, no funds will be disbursed to the student until all of the required documentation has been received and a financial aid counselor has reviewed the student’s application to verify the accuracy of the information provided. Students are notified via their official Binghamton e-mail address if additional information is needed or a change is made in eligibility based on the documents submitted and information verified.

A delay should be expected in the processing of a financial aid application if:

  • the FAFSA is not signed, completed correctly or in a timely manner
  • the requested documents are not received in a timely manner
  • the requested documents submitted are incomplete or illegible

If a student fails to submit the required documentation, any financial aid funds offered will be rescinded.

[ top ]

Eligibility Criteria

To receive federal/state-funded financial aid, students must meet general eligibility criteria established by the federal government/state agency and coordinated through Financial Aid and Student Records. Applicants must be matriculated students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; demonstrate need; not be in default on any student loans or owe a refund on a federal grant; registered with Selective Service, if required; and making satisfactory academic progress (see Determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress section and also visit In some cases, as noted, part-time students may receive federal or state-funded financial aid. Non-matriculated students may be eligible for federally-funded loans during a one-time, 12-consecutive-month period, if taking approved prerequisite coursework only. Some aid programs, as noted, are restricted to undergraduate students.

[ top ]

Additional Funding Needs

Study Abroad:Federal and state grants and loans you receive during the fall and spring semesters may be used to cover study-abroad charges for Binghamton University or another SUNY program. If you plan to attend a winter or summer abroad program, loans may be the only available aid and will be deducted from your fall or spring financial aid package. If you are attending a SUNY program, New York state’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) will be applied. If you’re attending a non-SUNY program, TAP is not available. Students who have met all degree requirements prior to attending a study abroad semester are not eligible for financial aid for the subsequent study abroad semester.

Summer or Winter Session(s): Attending Summer Session and/or Winter Session is/are often a way/ways to accelerate one's degree. Limited financial aid sources for the summer are available for matriculated, Binghamton University undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing. Students enrolled for at least six (6) credits during Summer Session may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants*, Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Parent Loans, Alternative Loans, and New York state Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grants (more TAP details below). *Students may be eligible for a Pell Grant for Winter Session only if registered for less than full time in the spring semester. Students may be eligible for a Pell Grant for Summer Session only if they will not use their full time, full year award during both the fall and spring semesters.

[ top ]

Responsibilities of Financial Aid Recipients

Financial-aid recipients are expected to complete the FAFSA application process annually by the recommended filing dates and deadlines, and to submit required documentation in a timely manner. Students must meet requirements for measuring satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree. (See Satisfactory Academic Progress section below for further information.) Students are obligated to report receipt of any additional outside sources, such as scholarships, grants or loans, to Financial Aid and Student Records.

[ top ]

Adjustments to Aid Offers

Federal, state or institutionally funded financial aid is an offer based on full-time enrollment and analysis of the information provided on the FAFSA and/or reports of financial assistance received on behalf of the student from another agency or group. The University reserves the right to make adjustments to financial aid offers due to unusual family circumstances, changes in enrollment or residency, income verification or failure to provide required documentation. See the following webpage for specifics about Special Circumstances and appeals:

The University further reserves the right to make proportionate adjustments in campus-administered financial aid if federal or state funding to the University changes and/or if more students than anticipated accept their aid packages. Students who do not meet the requirements determined by the University, are required to repay any financial aid funds they have received. Students who withdraw from the University before the end of an academic term may be required to repay a portion of their financial aid. For more information about withdrawal, go to

Again, since the aid is an offer, it may be adjusted at a later date due to the following reasons:

  • changes in funding;
  • corrections made to information on the FAFSA;
  • financial aid or scholarships received from outside sources exceed level of need or cost of attendance;
  • substantial change in family’s financial situation;
  • change in enrollment status (i.e., full time to part time);
  • withdrawal during the refund period or during the semester (refund schedule is available in the Student Accounts Office);
  • results from verification differ from original application;
  • graduate tuition scholarships not previously considered (i.e., tuition waivers);
  • resident assistants (RAs) that receive room and board credit;
  • enrollment in courses that exceed or do not fulfill graduation requirements;
  • change in student’s grade level;
  • change in residency (state residency or commuter status);
  • subsequent knowledge of loan default status;
  • failure to make satisfactory academic progress;
  • incomplete application;
  • failure to meet eligibility requirements;
  • applicable National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) guidelines;
  • retaking of passed courses (if more than one)

Should there be a revision to your initial offer, notification will be sent to the student's Binghamton University e-mail address.

[ top ]

Additional Terms and Conditions

  • Financial-aid offers are calculated every academic year upon receipt of new FAFSA information. Notifications are sent via e-mail to all students. Students are instructed to go online to Binghamton University’s self-service website, BU BRAIN Self Service, to view, print, accept or decline student loans.
  • Most components of a financial aid offer, except earnings from Federal Work Study employment, are credited by semester to a student’s account. If financial aid, excluding Federal Work Study earnings, exceeds the University’s charges, a refund is issued.
  • An offer that includes an estimated New York state TAP Grant is an approximation of eligibility based on information provided on the FAFSA. Students are required to complete and sign a TAP application online with New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) before actual and final eligibility for TAP is determined. An actual TAP grant may differ from the estimated amount, depending on documented information provided by the applicant to the state agency and verification of state tax return income.
  • TAP or any tuition scholarship is a financial resource. Therefore, it is included in the financial aid package and may affect eligibility for other funding sources.
  • An offer of Federal Work Study (FWS) does not guarantee a job.
  • Once employed, a student participating in FWS receives a biweekly paycheck based on the number of hours worked in a given pay period up to the Federal Work Study amount.
  • If there are unusual family circumstances (such as loss of employment or high medical expenses), students may file an appeal based on special circumstances. See the following webpage for more information:
  • A financial aid offer reflects the amount of funds available for the current academic year. To be considered for financial aid, students must file a new FAFSA each academic year. Aid offers may differ each year based on FAFSA information, availability of funds and grade level of the eligible student.
  • Graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships or fellowships through their respective academic departments. In most cases, the assistantship also includes a tuition scholarship. If the student should receive a tuition scholarship, it means that the tuition is paid by the department for a specific number of credit hours.
  • Graduate assistants will receive funding based on the contract agreement with the Graduate School. This offer may be withdrawn after the first two weeks of the term depending upon availability of positions. A graduate student who is offered a Graduate Federal Work Study (GFWS) Assistantship receives his or her assignment from the Graduate School. However, an offer of FWS does not guarantee a job.
  • Financial Aid and Student Records is notified of students receiving tuition scholarships by the Graduate School and/or academic departments. If notified after a financial aid package is completed, the package must be adjusted so that the student is not over-awarded. A revision e-mail notice will be sent to the student.
  • Students are required to notify Financial Aid and Student Records of any scholarship received (even if the scholarship is given directly to the student).
  • All financial aid resources must be used for educational expenses only.
[ top ]

How a University Withdrawal Affects Aid Eligibility

The University is required to perform a review of any student who withdraws from the University and is a recipient of federal financial aid in order to calculate the amount of aid that a student has earned. For this reason, it is extremely important that prior to withdrawing, students consult with Financial Aid and Student Records.

The formula used to calculate the percentage of federal aid earned due to a withdrawal: Number of calendar days in attendance during the term = percentage of aid earned divided by the number of calendar days in the term (if greater than 60 percent, no aid adjustment).

In other words, the regulations state that once a student has attended more than 60 percent of the term, the student is considered to have earned 100 percent of their aid and no adjustment to aid is needed. Likewise, any "unearned" aid must be returned to the federal government.

[ top ]


[ top ]

Federal Pell Grants

Pell grants are available to help full-time or part-time, matriculated undergraduate students pay for their educational expenses. Usually, only students with the highest levels of need are eligible for these grants. In 2016-17, Federal Pell Grants range from $591 to $5,815 and are based on enrollment. For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG grants provide assistance to matriculated undergraduate students with “exceptional need.” Financial Aid and Student Records is responsible for selecting eligible students and determining the amount of the award based on need and funds available.The maximum SEOG award is $600 per aid year. For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grants

Grants are awarded to students enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) and are based on financial need. These New York state grants range from $1,000 to $1,800. For details about EOP, see the section under Undergraduate Admissions and visit:

[ top ]

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP provides grants to full-time, matriculated undergraduate students, which ranged from $500 to $5,165 in 2015-16. Limits for minimum and maximum awards for 2016-17 are determined by pending action of the New York State Legislature. Applicants must be New York state residents and U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; be matriculated and enrolled full time in a degree program; meet income criteria; and be making satisfactory academic progress. Students may receive TAP funding for up to eight semesters of study as an undergraduate. For complete details, please visit: TAP is not available to graduate students.

[ top ]

Part-Time TAP

Part-Time TAP is available for matriculated students taking 6 to 11 credits who in the previous academic year have earned two consecutive semesters of 12 credits each (24 credits total) and maintained a “C” average. Available beginning in 2007-08 for students who have completed requirements as first-time freshmen in 2006-07.

[ top ]

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

APTS is an undergraduate grant program financed by New York state and awarded by Financial Aid and Student Records. The program provides aid to eligible, part-time undergraduate students to help pay tuition expenses up to $1,000 per semester.

To be considered for an award, students must be matriculated; enrolled in 3-11 credit hours; maintain satisfactory academic progress; be residents of New York state; be either U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; meet the income limits; not be in default of a federal student loan; and not have used up Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility. Students must submit an application by the deadline listed on the application. Applications are available in Financial Aid and Student Records and online at beginning July 1. For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

State University of New York Empire State Diversity Honors Scholarship Program

The University participates in the SUNY Diversity Honors Scholarship Program, which provides assistance to undergraduates who are residents of New York state and have demonstrated high academic achievement and who will contribute to the diversity of the student body. Awards for 2015-16 are $1,000; awards for 2016-17 are determined by pending action of the New York State Legislature. No application is required, as eligible students are offered an award if funding is available.

[ top ]


Loans are financial aid awards that must be repaid. They are funded through federal or private sources. Use an online calculator to determine payments at or see the Repayment Estimator chart below:

[ top ]

Ten-Year Loan (120 Equal Payments)

Amount Borrowed $5,000 $10,000 $15,000 $20,000 $25,000
Undergraduate Federal Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans - 4.29% interest rate monthly payment $52 $102 $154 $205 $256
Graduate/Professional Federal Unsubsidized Loan - 5.84% interest rate monthly payment $55 $110 $165 $220 $275

Federal Parent PLUS/Graduate PLUS Loan - 6.84% interest rate monthly payment

$58 $115 $172 $230 $288
[ top ]

Federal Perkins Loans

This low-interest loan is offered to matriculated, undergraduate students with “exceptional need.” Binghamton students are awarded up to $1,500 (based on grade level). No interest is charged while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Interest is a fixed rate of 5 percent and repayment begins nine months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits, with a maximum of 10 years to repay. More details at: Important note: According to the Department of Education, the Perkins Loan program is expected to end on September 30, 2017. No replacement loans are anticipated at this time.

[ top ]

Federal Nursing Loans

To be considered for a Nursing Loan, undergraduate or graduate students must be accepted for admission or enrolled at least half time in the Decker School of Nursing. The amount of this loan is based on financial need and is limited to $3,000 per academic year. No interest is charged while the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits. Interest is a fixed rate of 5 percent and repayment begins nine months after the student leaves school, with a maximum of 10 years to repay. More details at:

[ top ]

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is a need-based program that allows eligible freshmen to borrow federal funds up to $3,500 per academic year; sophomores up to $4,500; juniors and seniors up to $5,500. The federal government pays the interest while the student is in school.Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits. Loans are generally repaid over a ten-year period, but other repayment options are available. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted from the loan before it is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. More details at: Beginning July 1, 2012, graduate students are not eligible for subsidized loan funds.

[ top ]

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to students who may not qualify for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, or who may qualify for only a partial Direct Subsidized Loan. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits. The borrower is responsible for the interest that accrues while in school and during the six-month grace period. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted from the loan before it is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. The combined loan total (both subsidized and unsubsidized) may not exceed the federally set annual limits: freshmen, $5,500; sophomores, $6,500; juniors and seniors, $7,500; and graduate students, $20,500 (eligible for unsubsidized only). Additional funding is available through this program for independent undergraduate students and dependent students whose Parent PLUS Loans have been denied. More details at:

[ top ]

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available to eligible graduate and professional students enrolled in at least 6 credits. Students may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance each academic year. In addition, students must not have an adverse credit history. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted before the loan is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. Borrowers may choose to begin repayment within 60 days after final disbursement of the loan for that academic year or defer payment until 6 months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits. Note: Interest does accrue during periods of deferment. More details at:
[ top ]

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance, minus other aid, per academic year for each matriculated dependent enrolled in at least 6 credits. These loans are part of the Federal Direct Loan Program, whereby federal funds are borrowed directly from the Department of Education. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted before the loan is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. Parent PLUS borrowers may choose to begin repayment within 60 days after final disbursement of the loan for that academic year or defer payments until 6 months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits. Note: Interest accrues during the periods of deferment. More details at:

[ top ]

Alternative Loans

Many banks offer a variety of credit and/or collateral-based loans that students and/or parents may apply for. Alternative loans are for educational purposes only. Once approved by the lender, Financial Aid and Student Records will be sent an electronic or paper request to certify the loan. Certification is based on eligibility criteria such as enrollment and academic progress verification, and is limited to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received, including federal loans. Lenders offer a variety of terms and repayment options. Please note that the interest rates and fees are variable and may be higher than federally-funded loans. Students/families are encouraged to take advantage of all federal loan options first and research alternative loans thoroughly before borrowing. More details: Additional resources for determining costs and out-of-pocket expenses are also available online at and

[ top ]

Emergency Loans or Short-Term Collateralized Loans

Emergency short-term loans are available to students enrolled at the University. Supported by the Binghamton University Foundation and the University Women through the Wanda Bartle Student Loan Fund, emergency loan funds are administered by the Foundation for students in good financial standing with the University. More details are available at

[ top ]

Part-Time Employment

[ top ]

Federal Work Study (FWS)

This need-based program provides employment on- and off-campus to eligible students as an opportunity to earn money to help defray college expenses and offers meaningful work experiences. Off-campus jobs are with area employers, contributing to the local business community. FWS is offered to eligible students new to the University, on a first-come, first-served basis. FWS is also offered to eligible continuing students who held a FWS job in the previous academic year. An offer of FWS does not guarantee placement in a FWS job. Most graduate FWS awards are in the form of assistantships and must be applied for through the University’s Graduate School. Students employed through FWS work an average of eight (8) to ten (10) hours per week. More details at:

[ top ]

Other On- and Off-Campus Employment

Regardless of financial need, students may find information about part-time on- and off-campus employment by visiting the Student Employment website at In addition, you can review job listings on the eReruiting website at Many students find jobs in a variety of offices and departments on campus, as well as at various community businesses.

[ top ]

Studying away from Campus

On a limited basis (required coursework not offered at Binghamton University; hardship; special circumstances), Binghamton University permits the use of federal financial aid for studying away from campus. Approvals are based on one of the noted circumstances, as well as on the premise that the study-away experience will complement and enhance a student’s overall educational experience. The student must obtain approval to verify academic requirements and complete a consortium agreement by the semester deadline before financial aid may be considered and processed. Request for Approval of a Financial Aid Consortium and Consortium Agreements forms are available in Financial Aid and Student Records.

[ top ]

Satisfactory Academic Progress

There are Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines for undergraduate and graduate students receiving federal and/or New York state aid, in addition to academic policy set forth by Binghamton University. For details related to federal and/or state aid guidelines, go to:

Note: Where any question of eligibility exists, students or prospective students should contact Financial Aid and Student Records.

[ top ]

Federal Financial Aid

Federal regulations require that students meet specific standards that include both qualitative (grade point average) and quantitative (coursework completed — i.e., attempted vs. earned and within the maximum time frame) measures of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to receive Title IV student financial assistance — i.e., Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Nursing Loan, Federal Direct Loan [subsidized and unsubsidized]. Students must meet these standards whether or not they received Title IV funding during a prior period of enrollment. Students who fall below the minimum standards at the end of a term may be eligible for Title IV financial aid in the following term and will be considered in "Federal Warning" for one semester only. Students are expected to meet SAP requirements in subsequent terms or they will lose Title IV eligibility. For more detailed information about federal SAP, visit the following Financial Aid webpage:

SAP Review: Academic records are reviewed at the end of each semester, including Summer, to determine SAP eligibility for the following semester. The academic progress of students readmitted to the University is reviewed at the time of readmission. Students who have lost federal aid eligibility and believe that a correction of an error, a grade change or the recording of summer courses and grades will re-establish eligibility for federal aid, must have the necessary changes reflected on their academic record (transcript) in order to be considered eligible for aid for that semester. Any changes processed subsequent to the end of the semester (within the aid year) will not entitle the student to retroactive reinstatement of federal aid for that semester unless exceptional circumstances have been approved by the appropriate school official.

Appeals: Students who fail to meet the minimum standards, may appeal the loss of aid if there are extraordinary or unusual circumstances beyond their control that resulted in their failure to meet the standards. Documentation of these circumstances is required as part of the appeal review process. An assessment of the student’s academic situation, ability to regain satisfactory academic progress by the end of the appeal period and special needs, if any, are part of this process. For complete details, visit

[ top ]

State Financial Aid

The following are state aid programs administered by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) and the New York State Education Department:

  • Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
  • Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
  • Memorial Scholarship for Families of Deceased Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Police Officers, Peace Officers and Emergency Medical Service Workers
  • Vietnam/Persian Gulf Veterans Full-time Tuition Award
  • New York State Volunteer Recruitment Service Scholarship
  • New York State World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship
  • Scholarship for Academic Excellence
  • Regents Professional Opportunity Scholarship
  • Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program
  • Aid for Part-time Study Program
  • Part-time Tuition Assistance Program (Part-time TAP)
  • Vietnam/Persian Gulf Veterans Part-time Tuition Award
  • New York State Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program

To be eligible for the above listed programs students must meet the following requirements:

  • Meet one of the United State citizen requirements
  • Meet New York state residency requirements (except for World Trade Center Scholarship Recipients)
  • Enroll as a full-time student (except for awards designated above as part-time), courses that do not count towards a student's degree also do not count for determining enrollment status
  • Be matriculated in a degree program
  • Must have a declared major if student has 56 or more accumulated credits
  • Meet the good academic standing, academic progress and program pursuit requirements listed below
  • Must have a U.S. high school diploma, or the recognized equivalent

All undergraduate students must meet the conditions of academic progress and program pursuit in this section of the publication to continue receiving state financial assistance.

Academic Progress: The academic progress chart in this section of the publication states the number of graduation credits and the minimum grade-point average students must meet to remain eligible for future state payments. Academic performance expectations are quite low at the beginning, allowing for a time of adjustment to college work, but after several semesters, the expectations more closely approximate the overall minimum of 2.0 GPA necessary to qualify for a degree.

[ top ]

State Student Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Chart

State Aid Academic Progress Chart for Bachelor’s Degree as proposed by the Governor in the 2011-12 New York State Executive Budget
Before Being Certified for This Payment
Payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th**
A Student Must Have Accrued at Least This Many Credits
Credits 0 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 90 105
With at Least This Grade Point Average
GPA 0.00 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

For example, note on the chart for the bachelor’s degree that students must complete 27 credits with a 1.8 GPA to be eligible for the fourth payment of a New York state award. Thus, a student who has accrued 26 or fewer credits is not eligible for the fourth payment of a New York state award. Likewise, a student with less than a 1.8 GPA is not eligible for a fourth payment of a New York state award. The student needs to reach the stated minimums to be eligible for the next award. (See “Appeals”.) **Although the academic progress standards allow 10 semesters for completion of a bachelor’s degree, the maximum award period at the undergraduate level is four years, except for approved five-year degree programs or in the case of EOP students.

Transfer students may be granted beneficial placement. Beneficial placement is determination of placement on the chart in accordance with either the number of payments a student has received or the number of credits earned, whichever is more beneficial to the student.

Undergraduate Program Pursuit: In addition to meeting the criteria outlined on the Academic Progress Chart, State Education Department regulations require students who receive New York state awards to complete a minimum number of credits toward the degree each semester as follows:

  • In each semester of the first year of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of six credits of course-work with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.
  • In each semester of the second year of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of nine credits of coursework with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.
  • In each semester of the third and fourth years of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of 12 credits of coursework with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.

Grades of I must be made up within one semester to have the credits counted.

Students who do not complete the minimum number of credits in a given semester are ineligible for New York state financial aid in the following term or until additional credits are completed to reach the minimum level.

Only courses that count toward a student’s degree may be used for meeting the program-pursuit requirement.

Appeals: Students who fall below the minimum criteria under Academic Progress or Program Pursuit may be eligible to receive one appeal during their undergraduate career. The appeal is intended to accommodate only extraordinary or unusual circumstances, that is, circumstances beyond the student’s control and not merely the result of poor judgment or academic irresponsibility. Documentation of these circumstances by a third party is required as part of the appeal review process. Appeals are first routed through the appropriate academic advisor and then forwarded to Financial Aid and Student Records for approval. Procedures for recommending the grant appeals, by academic officers, follow University policies relating to appeals procedures for academic suspension from the University. If granted, the appeal becomes part of the student’s financial aid record and the student is expected to make minimum progress thereafter.

The maximum number of Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) semester payments is eight for an undergraduate student. Students who participated in a five-year undergraduate degree program or EOP are granted exceptions to the above semester payment schedule. The satisfactory program-pursuit levels depend on the total number of payments students have received (including any payments as undergraduates). Students who fail to meet the prescribed standards for academic progress are ineligible for state financial assistance until the minimum standards have been met through additional coursework.

[ top ]

Assistantships and Fellowships

All applicants to the Graduate School are evaluated and considered for fellowships and assistantships. No separate application for funding is required by Binghamton. To be considered for University funding, students must submit completed applications by the published application deadline. Application and funding deadlines vary by department. See deadlines.International applicants should generally apply at least one month before these deadlines.

Decisions on the awarding of stipends are made by the department or school to which the applicant is seeking admission. Applicants for fellowship and assistantship support are notified by the department or school as soon as possible after decisions have been made. Assistantship and fellowship awards to new and continuing students are made on a competitive basis, normally for a period of one academic year. The graduate committee of the program determines the procedures and criteria for renewal of the award in subsequent academic years.

Recipients of assistantships and fellowships must pursue a full-time program of study. The recipient’s obligation to provide service in exchange for the stipend is clearly described in the letter of appointment, as is the stipend amount and other important terms and conditions of the appointment.

Graduate students who wish to apply for federal loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must be registered for six or more credits for the loan funds to be disbursed.

[ top ]

Tuition Scholarships for Assistants and Fellows

Scholarships covering part or all of the cost of tuition may be awarded to enrolled graduate students who qualify on the basis of merit, pursuant to guidelines established by the chancellor of the State University of New York.

Tuition scholarship recipients who are eligible must establish New York state residency before classes begin. In the second year, and before classes begin, the student must then apply for residency using “The Application for New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes,” which is available from the Student Accounts Office and must be filed there as well. International students and students who remain financially dependent on their parents are not eligible, and therefore need not apply for residency.

Tuition scholarship support is used to establish financial aid loan eligibility. Students who apply for financial aid will find their eligibility reduced by tuition scholarship at the time the scholarship is applied, and should consult with their financial aid counselor.

Tuition scholarship funds may not be used to cover any courses that are not graduate courses including: 100-, 200- or 300-level courses, courses taken on an audit basis, 400-level courses not individually approved for graduate credit or physical education courses.

Students who withdraw or reduce enrollment from full-time to part-time prior to the last day of the semester forfeit the tuition scholarship award. Such students become liable for repayment of any tuition covered by tuition scholarship funds.

Tuition scholarship awards provide for remission of tuition only; fees may not be waived. Students receiving a tuition scholarship are expected to agree to and sign a Terms and Conditions Statement as described below.

[ top ]

Terms and Conditions

  • Tuition scholarship support covers tuition costs at resident rates only, except in approved exceptional cases. If a student is not a New York State resident, he or she must establish residency the week before classes begin. To establish residency, he or she normally needs to obtain a New York voter registration card, a New York driver’s license or state identification card and New York registration for his or her vehicle (if he or she owns one).
  • Exceptions to this requirement are made for students who are not eligible to become residents of New York. These include international students on temporary (F and J) visas. If a student is being claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by someone who is not a resident of New York, or for other compelling reasons cannot establish residency, he or she may request approval from the Graduate School for a maximum of one semester of tuition scholarship support at non-resident rates.
  • Graduate students with tuition scholarship support are required to maintain full-time registration as defined for their level. Registration and fee payments must be completed before the first day of classes each semester. Continuing students must advance register each semester.
  • Tuition scholarship awards do not cover fees, and they do not cover all courses. Undergraduate courses, audited courses, physical education courses and some graduate courses are not covered, nor do they count toward full-time status. At the beginning of each semester, students should make themselves aware of these limitations on tuition scholarships.
  • Students who resign assistantships or fellowships may become liable for repayment of tuition scholarship awards. They should consult the Graduate School in such circumstances.
  • Master’s candidates may receive a tuition scholarship for a maximum of 4 semesters.
  • Doctoral students who enter a graduate program with a master’s degree in the same field may receive a maximum of 8 semesters of support.
  • Doctoral students who enter a graduate program with a bachelor’s degree may receive up to 8 semesters of support, and only under extenuating circumstances, with prior written approval by the Graduate School, receive funding beyond that, with a maximum of 12 semesters of support.
  • Some graduate programs have additional limits.
  • The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that all graduate students who receive funding from Binghamton University or the Research Foundation provide proof of their identity and employment eligibility (I-9) before employment begins.
  • Recipients of assistantships are assigned duties in support of teaching or research. These responsibilities normally require between 15 and 20 hours per week. Specific information regarding an assignment is provided by the student’s department or school.
  • Assistantship and fellowship recipients may not simultaneously hold other appointments in the University, regardless of the source or amount of funding. Holders of assistantships or fellowships are committed on a full-time basis. In exceptional circumstances, a student may request to take on a minimal additional responsibility that will require no more than five hours of service weekly. Such requests should be made on the Extra Service Request form.
  • Once-a-semester evaluations are submitted by faculty supervisors for each assistant’s performance during the award period. Renewal of assistantships for subsequent semesters is contingent upon satisfactory performance of assistantship responsibilities and satisfactory academic progress. Students must maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.0 to retain good standing in the Graduate School. A lower GPA results in probation. Students on probation are not eligible to receive offers of new or renewed funding.

Individual departments, in conjunction with the Graduate School, are required to ensure that students meet the above terms and conditions. By signing the form, the student agrees to meet them; the student’s failure to meet them will result in a temporary hold on his or her paycheck.

[ top ]

Enrollment Requirements and Employment Limitations

A student holding a fellowship, assistantship or traineeship appointment must maintain full-time enrollment throughout the period of the award. Since the award of an assistantship or fellowship carries the expectation that the recipient is a full-time student, students receiving these stipends may not concurrently be otherwise employed without special permission from the Graduate School. A student’s total obligation may not exceed 20 hours per week. Students holding full-time jobs are not eligible for fellowships or assistantships.

[ top ]

Teaching and Research Requirements for Graduate Students, Assistants and Trainees

A significant number of master’s and doctoral students hold assistantships or traineeships awarded by the University to enable them to pursue study toward their degrees. As in the case of fellowships or scholarships, these assistantships and traineeships are awarded on a competitive basis, with academic merit being the primary determining criterion, but with financial need also taken into account in some cases.

Several categories of assistantships are awarded by the Graduate School. Research assistants help faculty members in their research work. Graduate assistants and trainees usually assist faculty in research efforts and may also assist in the teaching of undergraduate courses. Teaching assistants focus on helping faculty in the teaching of courses. Research Foundation appointments for full-time graduate students performing duties related to their educational requirements may carry the title of research project assistant. The assistants in all of these categories normally serve approximately 15 to 20 hours per week in research or teaching while pursuing regular full-time study toward their degrees.

These research and teaching assignments are in accordance with the requirement stipulated in guidelines issued by the chancellor of the State University of New York to the effect that all graduate degree candidates are required to demonstrate mastery both of research capability and of teaching competence. In every instance, the research or teaching service performed by assistants is conducted under the supervision and evaluation of a faculty mentor. This service is apprenticeship training in partial fulfillment of the requirements of their master’s or doctoral degree programs, as stipulated by the chancellor of the State University of New York; these requirements must be fulfilled in an equivalent manner by all degree candidates. Assignments as assistants or trainees, therefore, are intrinsic to the teaching and research apprenticeships required for the completion of degree requirements. At the same time, the stipends support the most academically meritorious students in completing their degree requirements in the shortest possible time.