Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science — Undergraduate Programs

[ top ]

Submit inquiries to:

Watson Academic Advising
Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science
Binghamton University
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, New York 13902-6000

The following Bachelor of Science degrees are offered by the Watson School. For full descriptions, please refer to the individual program sections of this Bulletin:

Bachelor of Science (BS) - Biomedical Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Computer Science

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Computer Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Electrical Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Industrial and Systems Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Information Systems (Dual Diploma)

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Mechanical Engineering

The bachelor of science programs in engineering disciplines are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, The bachelor of science program in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET,

Various 4+1 BS/MS programs and BS/MBA options are also available to Watson School juniors. For further information on BS/MS programs, contact the department of major. For information on BS/MBA 4+1 options, refer to the School of Management section of this publication.

Other double degrees are possible and may be discussed on an individual basis in the Watson Advising Office.

[ top ]

Continuing Education Status

Individuals interested in taking courses for credit, but not in pursuing a degree program, may apply for admission as continuing education students. All continuing education students are subject to the administrative guidelines described elsewhere in this publication. Upon acceptance, they may enroll as space permits in Watson School courses for which they have completed the prerequisites. Courses taken under continuing education status may be accepted later to satisfy requirements in specific Watson School degree programs. A student may take a maximum of 24 credit hours as a continuing education student.

[ top ]

Academic Policies

The Watson School follows the academic policies described in the University Bulletin. Watson School students are expected to be familiar with and abide by the regulations in this section.

All matriculated students follow the requirements for graduation listed in the University Bulletin current at the time they are admitted. However, undergraduate students who interrupt enrollments for three or more consecutive semesters are governed by the University Bulletin in effect when they are re-enrolled. Exceptions are made for students eligible to return to Binghamton who were forced to leave because of involuntary call to military service.

[ top ]

Program Load and Planning

Undergraduate students are considered full time if they are registered for 12 credit hours or more. The maximum number of credits a Watson School student may take, without an approved petition, is 18. Overloads for Engineering students up to 22 credits with a 3.3 GPA will be automatic after the first week of classes. However, Computer Science students must submit a petition to the undergraduate director. Others that wish to petition can still use the general academic petition for review.

Watson School students may drop below 12 credits without consent and be classified as part time. Students receiving financial aid should check with the Office of Financial Aid before dropping to part time, because their action may affect aid eligibility.

[ top ]

Requirements for Degrees

To receive any Watson School undergraduate engineering degree, students must satisfactorily complete 30 credits of residency, meaning courses taken entirely in the Watson School. Undergraduate computer science degrees require 40 credits of residency. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be made by petition to the Watson School Undergraduate Studies Committee and be approved by the dean.

Students must not be under any disciplinary action at the time of graduation. They must also pay or satisfactorily adjust all fees and bills.

For additional graduation requirements, consult the descriptions of the specific degrees.

[ top ]

General Education Requirements

All Watson School students are subject to the general education requirements (

[ top ]

Grading System

Students who enroll in courses offered outside of Watson School undergraduate programs are graded according to the grading system of the school offering the course. Such students may petition to have the Watson School’s undergraduate grading system apply.

Watson School undergraduate courses are graded in one of two ways:

  • A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, C–, D, F, W; or
  • Pass/Fail.

Watson School students must meet all degree requirements under the letter grade option. The only exceptions are for any general education activity/wellness courses offered on a pass/fail basis. Computer science majors (only) are allowed an additional four credits of free elective work on a pass/fail basis.

[ top ]


Instructors may temporarily submit a grade notation of Incomplete, which appears in grade reports as “I”. A grade of Incomplete must be removed and replaced with a permanent grade no later than the last day of classes of the semester following the one in which it was received; however, an instructor may set an earlier date for completion of the work. Students should work with their professor to construct a reasonable timeline for work to be completed. If the grade is not removed by the applicable date, and an extension has not been granted, the grade of "I" automatically becomes a grade of "F".

[ top ]

Watson School Policy for Course Withdrawal after the Official University Withdrawal Deadline

Under extraordinary circumstances, a student may seek a late withdrawal from a course through Workflow via BUBRAIN. This is subject to both instructor's and Watson Advising approval and requires the following:

  • A complete description of extenuating circumstances.
  • Accompanying official documentation (medical reports, etc.).

Both of the above are mandatory. A request must be received by the Watson Advising Office no later than 72 hours before the last day of classes in the current semester.

[ top ]

Repeating Courses

When students repeat a course in which they have earned a failing grade, the repeated course counts toward the rate of degree progress. Both the failing and passing grades are calculated into the grade point average and both are displayed on the student transcript. Under special circumstances students may repeat a course in which a passing grade was earned, however only the first passing grade counts into the grade-point average. Both grades are displayed on the transcript with the second passing grade noted as a repeated course. The repeated course counts toward full time enrollment for the semester. As students make their decision about repeating courses, students should speak with Watson Advising.
[ top ]

Add/Drop Policies

Students are expected to be familiar with the University-wide policies governing changes in their course registration, specifically the add/drop deadlines. No changes are made to an undergraduate record after two years have passed.

Add/Drop Deadline: The add and drop deadline is midnight on the Friday of the second week of classes.

Course Withdrawal: The course-withdrawal period extends from the drop deadline until the end of the ninth week. Students who drop courses online during this period will receive a grade of W. Deadlines for summer courses and variable-credit courses are adjusted accordingly.

All above-mentioned deadlines can be found on the University calendar website.

Note: If an academic petition is approved for a late add or late drop because of extraordinary circumstances, a late add/drop fee is placed on your student account.

[ top ]

Academic Standing

[ top ]

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students’ academic progress is reviewed at the end of each regular semester to ensure that satisfactory progress is maintained. “Satisfactory progress” is defined as maintaining a 2.0 grade-point average (GPA). The GPA is calculated on a 4.0 system using the following grade-point equivalents:































[ top ]

Academic Honors

Full time students who complete a semester with a 3.5 or better GPA are placed on the Dean’s Honors List. This honor is noted on the permanent transcript.

For graduation honors, the criteria are:

  • 3.50-3.69 GPA: cum laude
  • 3.70-3.84 GPA: magna cum laude
  • 3.85-4.00 GPA: summa cum laude
[ top ]

Academic Probation and Suspension

Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA for courses taken at Binghamton falls below 2.0 are placed on academic probation for the following semester, and are subject to the following restrictions:

  • They may not register for more than 14 credit hours.
  • They may not campaign for or accept any campus office or committee chairmanship.

Students are removed from probation after the fall and spring semesters if their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above.

Academic probation does not preclude students from receiving financial aid. Standards for financial eligibility are described in the Financial Information section of this publication.

Suspension: Students who, for a second time, fail to meet both the 2.0 cumulative GPA and the last-semester GPA given in the table below are suspended. Suspension lasts for one academic semester, not including summer. If approved for readmission after a semester away, the student must maintain the minimum semester average noted below to avoid dismissal. Returning students who meet their last-semester GPA requirement as indicated on the Academic Dismissal Index (see below), but still have a cumulative GPA under 2.0 are once again on probation.


Last SemesterGPA









Suspension Appeal:Appeals will be considered for students, but only if the suspension is due to extreme circumstances. An appeal letter must be written by the suspended student. Any medically-related appeal must be supported by acceptable medical documentation and must include written statements by medical professionals. Any other type of extreme emergency situation must also be carefully and officially documented.

Suspension Readmission:Students who decide to request readmission after the minimum of one semester away from school due to suspension are required to contact the Watson Advising Office to discuss their academic plan and begin the readmission process.

Final Dismissal: Students who, after being suspended and readmitted, again fail to meet the required academic standards are dismissed. All dismissals are final.

Dismissal Appeal:After at least one semester away from the school students may appeal the dismissal decision through the Watson Advising Office. The appeal should show some evidence of significant change or improvement. Only an approved appeal will permit readmission through the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

[ top ]

Withdrawal and Readmission

Undergraduate students who withdraw from the Watson School during any semester and wish to remain in good standing must follow a formal withdrawal procedure. Mere absence from class does not constitute withdrawal. A grade of W is assigned when the student has withdrawn from all courses and thus from the University. Grades of W do not count as courses taken.

The Watson School applies the same withdrawal and readmission policies as established for the University, except that Watson School students may drop below a 12-credit program without permission.

Undergraduate students must apply for readmission through the Undergraduate Admissions Office if they have not been in attendance for at least three consecutive semesters. Re-enrollment forms are available on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website.

Students who interrupt enrollment for three or more consecutive semesters are governed by the University Bulletin in effect when they are re-enrolled. Summer sessions and the semester when a student officially withdraws are not included in this count. Exceptions are made for students eligible to continue at Binghamton, who were forced to leave because of involuntary call to military service.

Students who have missed fewer than three consecutive semesters may register online during their assigned registration time.

[ top ]

Student Organizations and Honor Societies

Please refer to the organization webpage:

All Watson School students are eligible to receive the services provided for all students at Binghamton, and to participate in the various student activities. Students should familiarize themselves with the University Bulletin sections on services for students and student activities.

Undergraduate Programs