Financial Information

Rates contained in this Bulletin reflect estimated costs for the 2020-2021 academic year and are subject to change pending New York State Division of the Budget, New York State Legislature, SUNY Board of Trustees or University action. This section was updated on April 20, 2020, to reflect the most recent approved rates. Please contact the Office of Student Accounts with any questions.

For the most current tuition and fee rates please visit the Office of Student Accounts website at

For the most current Housing and Dining rates please visit the Office of Residential Life website at
[ top ]


[ top ]

Matriculated Students, Full-Time

Per Semester




New York Residents



MBA students






Nursing DNP



Pharmacy PharmD




Out-of-State Residents



MBA students





Nursing DNP  


Pharmacy PharmD  


[ top ]

Matriculated Students, Part-Time

Per Credit Hour/Per Semester




New York Residents









Nursing DNP



Pharmacy PharmD




Out-of-State Residents









Nursing DNP



Pharmacy PharmD



[ top ]

Non-Matriculated Students, Full-Time

Per Semester
  Undergraduate Graduate
New York Residents $3,535 $5,655
Out-of-State Residents $12,330 $11,550
[ top ]

Non-Matriculated Students, Part-Time

Per Credit Hour/Per Semester

  Undergraduate Graduate
New York Residents $295 $471
Out-of-State Residents $1,028 $963
[ top ]

Non-Resident, Online

Per Credit Hour/Per Semester (12+ credits)

Undergraduate $353/$4,240
Graduate $565/$6,785
MBA $750/$9,000
MSW $654/$7,850
Nursing DNP $1,281/$15,370


[ top ]

Residency Requirements

The colleges and universities that comprise the State University of New York system were established to provide a quality education at a reduced rate for the benefit of qualified residents of New York state. Residency classification is determined for all students in accordance with SUNY's administrative policy, "Establishment of Residency for Tuition Purposes." Students who are classified as non-residents can request reclassification and must support their request with documentation that shows compliance with policy and current state law. For more information, visit SUNY's Residency Policy can be found at
[ top ]

Residency Determination Appeal Process

Students who wish to appeal their residency determination may file a written appeal with the University Residency Appeals Committee, Binghamton University, PO Box 6000, Couper Administration Bldg., Room 614 A&B, Binghamton, New York 13902-6000. Decisions made by the University Appeals Committee are final.

[ top ]

Tuition Refunds/Adjustment

SUNY Board of Trustees Tuition Refunds/Adjustment Schedule (Fall and Spring semesters only; Summer and Winter sessions have separate refund schedules):

Students who drop courses or withdraw from the University are entitled to a refund of tuition only. Fees are refundable only within the first week of classes and are nonrefundable thereafter. The following refund schedule applies to courses that are a full semester's duration.
  • First Week - 100 percent, tuition and fees
  • Second Week - 70 percent, tuition only
  • Third Week - 50 percent, tuition only
  • Fourth Week - 30 percent, tuition only
  • Fifth Week and after - 0 percent
Courses scheduled for less than a semester's duration have a separate refund schedule. Consult the Office of Student Accounts website for these refund schedules.

The date used to determine the tuition liability for a dropped course is the date the student or department drops the course in the online system. Non-attendance in a course will not result in removal of the tuition charges from the bill.

The academic course drop deadline is not related to the deadlines for determining tuition liability.

Students required to withdraw for disciplinary reasons are not entitled to any refund of tuition or fees.

Students who withdraw to enter military service (active duty) are granted full tuition and University fee refunds for a semester in which academic credit is not received.

Students who withdraw for medical reasons may request a full tuition refund. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. The rates listed below are those assessed on a semester based upon full-time attendance. Fees that are prorated based upon part-time attendance are notated.

[ top ]

Mandatory and Enrollment Fees

[ top ]

Undergraduate Fees

Academic Excellence Fee*   $262.50
Academic Support Fee*   $14.50
Academic Transcript Fee   $5.00
Activity Fee*   $99.00
Athletic Fee*   $313.00
Campus Life Fee*   $34.00
Career Resource Fee   $13.00
College Fee*   $62.50
Health Fee*   $194.00
ID Card Fee   $5.00
Recreation Fee*   $59.00
Technology Fee*   $391.50
Transportation Fee*   $97.50

*Fees are prorated for part-time students based upon number of credits enrolled.

[ top ]

Graduate Fees

Academic Excellence Fee* $262.50
Academic Transcript Fee $5.00
Activity Fee* $65.00
College Fee* $62.50
Health Fee* $194.00
ID Card Fee $5.00
Recreation Fee* $59.00
Technology Fee* $391.50
Transportation Fee* $97.50

*Fees are prorated for part-time students, registered for 1 to 9 credits, based upon number of credits enrolled. Full-time rate for fees is charged to graduate students registered for 10 or more credits per term.

[ top ]

Other Fees


Domestic Health insurance**



Domestic Health insurance**



Administrative Fee



Late Payment Fee



Late Add/Drop Fee, per transaction



Optional Alumni Fee*



Replacement ID Card Fee



Replacement Diploma Fee



Returned Check Fee



* Please visit the Alumni Office FAQ for information regarding the refund process for this fee.

**Mandatory for all undergraduate full-time students unless Insurance Waiver Form is filed. Optional for all other students.

[ top ]

Graduate Degree/Certificate Completion Fees*

Dissertation Processing Fee


Thesis Processing Fee


Copyrights Fee (optional)


Certificate Processing Fee (add-on certificates and certificates of completion only)


*Please see the Graduate School Manual at for complete details.

[ top ]

Broad Based Fees

Academic Excellence and Success Fee: The State University of New York instituted the Academic Excellence and Success Fee to provide the financial resources necessary for building and enhancing academic and student success. The fee is charged to all undergraduate and graduate students.

Academic Transcript Fee: This fee is to assist in the processing and storage of student permanent records. For more information, visit the Registrar's website at

Academic Support Fee: Tutorial services for undergraduate students are partially supported by this fee, allowing tutorial services at all levels of academic performance. For more information, visit

Activity Fee: Undergraduates — This fee funds approximately 190 student organizations and clubs. The Student Association allocates funds annually. For details, contact the Student Association at 607-777-6503. Graduates — This fee is used to provide funds to each graduate department for speakers, programs, activities and conferences. For details, contact the Graduate Student Organization at 607-777-4247.

Campus Life: The campus life fee, charged to undergraduate students only, enables the University and students to provide programming opportunities during the academic year, with special emphasis on Late Nite Binghamton programs on weekends. More information on Late Nite Binghamton is available at

Career Resource Fee: This fee supports technology-based career resources that provide job, internship and career information for undergraduate students. For more information, visit the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development's website at

CCPA Program Fee: This fee is assessed to all students enrolled in the College of Community and Public Affairs.

College Fee: The University fee is mandatory for all SUNY students. This fee is charged to all enrolled students by authority of the Board of Trustees.

ID Card Fee: This fee covers the expense of producing the University identification card and related security, financial and service access components.

Intercollegiate Athletic Fee: The athletic fee, charged to undergraduate students only, supports Binghamton University's Division I intercollegiate athletics program and campus athletics facilities. Athletic fee revenues are used to cover all types of costs related to the athletics program, including expenses such as travel, officiating, facilities preparation, telephone, sports equipment and uniforms. More information is available at the Athletics Department website,

International Student Administration Fee: Supports certain federally mandated services and staff salaries in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services for students with F and J visas. Questions about this fee should be directed to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at 607-777-2510. For more information visit

Recreation Fee: The recreation fee, charged to all students, enables Campus Recreation Services to offer programs intended to enrich the overall educational experience of students at the University. Programs include Club Sports, Wellness Services, Intramural Sports, Outdoor Pursuits and Open Recreation. More information is available at

SOM Fee: This fee is charged to all students of the School of Management.

Student Health Services Fee: The health fee is not health insurance. All students are charged this fee to support services and programs at the Decker Student Health Services Center, University Counseling Center and Health Promotion and Prevention Services. These services include medical care for illness and injury, psychiatry, individual counseling, crisis appointments, group counseling sessions, women's health care, vaccination services, health education programs, alcohol/other drug counseling, HIV testing and laboratory services as well as a dispensary for antibiotics and over-the-counter medications. More information is available online at

Technology Fee: The technology fee, charged to all students, is used to support a number of services provided for student use by Computing Services and Educational Communications. Services include the Blackboard online course system, the campus computing network, Internet connections, classroom technology, email service, computer PODs, the Help Desk and many other technology applications. More information is available at

Transportation Fee: The transportation fee, charged to all students, supports mass transportation (bus) services to and from campus. Contracts with Broome County Transit and Off Campus College Transit Inc. (OCCT) provide comprehensive coverage to the Greater Binghamton region. More information on OCCT is available at Broome Transit is the local county-operated bus service that covers an extended region.

College Fee: The University fee is mandatory for all SUNY students. This fee is charged to all enrolled students by authority of the Board of Trustees.

Watson College Program Fee: This fee is assessed to all students enrolled in the Watson College.

[ top ]


Admission Deposit (credited to the student account balance):

All new undergraduate students 


All new graduate students


All new pharmacy students


[ top ]

Dining Plans

All resident students are required by the University to purchase a resident dining meal plan, with the exception of students living in Hillside and Susquehanna communities. Students living in Hillside, Susquehanna or off campus may purchase one of the commuter meal plans. Visit for further information regarding dining plans, dining plan rates and dining plan policies.
[ top ]

Outstanding Obligations

Students who owe money to the University, payments on a University loan, or a Title IV financial aid repayment, are denied registration privileges. Transcripts and diplomas are withheld until past due balances are paid in full.

In addition, any past due balances owed to the University and not paid on a timely basis are forwarded to a collection agency and/or the New York State Attorney General’s Office for collection. Accounts forwarded to collection agencies or the Attorney General’s Office are assessed additional collection fees and interest charges.
[ top ]

Health Insurance for Students

The student health fee does not pay for medical charges for off-campus providers or facilities. Students must have adequate health insurance coverage. Undergraduate students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the campus-sponsored plan, which offers worldwide coverage and a full choice of providers. Students who already have comparable health insurance coverage may waive enrollment and related charges. Information on the waiver process can be found at If the University plan is waived, please be sure that the current health insurance coverage can be used for inpatient/outpatient services and specialist referrals in the Binghamton community. Students are responsible for knowing the limitations and special considerations of their respective health plans.

The student’s status relative to insurance will be continued in subsequent academic years unless the student acts to change that status. Information detailing the cost and the provisions of this accident and sickness insurance is available through the Student Accounts Office or the Decker Student Health Services Center. Costs and benefits are subject to change from year to year. Call the Decker Student Health Services Center at 607-777-2221 for current information or with questions. The Decker Student Health Services Center website is Graduate students, part-time students and dependents of enrolled students are encouraged to consider enrolling in the campus program, but are not obligated to do so. International students are required to enroll in a separate health insurance program. Information regarding international student health insurance can be found on the Office of International Student and Scholar Services website at

[ top ]

Insurance for International Students

International students in non-immigrant status (F-1, J-1, etc.) and students participating in overseas study programs are required by the State University of New York to purchase a special SUNY health and accident insurance policy designed specifically for them. Dependents of J-1 students and scholars are required by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, to purchase insurance as well. Students are charged on a semester basis, with Fall coverage in effect Aug. 15-Jan. 14 and Spring coverage in effect Jan. 15-Aug. 14. Since Fall-semester coverage is for a five-month period and Spring coverage is for seven months, the insurance fee is higher in the Spring. Overseas study participants may select shorter coverage periods matched to the length of their program. Insurance rates are reviewed each year and are subject to change. The policy is comprehensive and provides benefits not found in standard insurance policies, such as medical evacuation and repatriation. Coverage for dependents is also available.

Deadline for submission of the international health insurance adjustment/waiver form is February 15 for the Spring semester and October 15 for the Fall semester. Visit the International Student and Scholar Services website for information on filing the health insurance waiver request. Filing a request does not guarantee a wavier or adjustment. You must either be a Graduate Assistant (GA), Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) funded through Binghamton University and enrolled in employee health insurance, -or- you must meet the standards for comparable coverage outlined on the ISSS Health Insurance web page located through the above link.

The policy is administered by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (Floor 1R, Room 142 of Old Champlain Building on the Binghamton University campus, 607-777-2510, Detailed information about health insurance for international students and scholars is available on the ISSS website.

[ top ]

Payment Procedures

[ top ]

Electronic Billing

The Office of Student Accounts generates an electronic bill (E-bill) for tuition and fees based on class registration on the date the bill is generated. In the absence of registration, an E-bill will be generated for other charges assessed to the student account such as room, dining or other miscellaneous charges. The Office of Student Accounts sends all E-bill notifications via email to the student's email address. The E-bill notification includes the balance due, the due date, and a link to the University's billing and payment portal, QuikPAY.

If the student would like his/her E-bill notification sent to his/her parent(s), guardian or another person, he/she must add that person as an Authorized Payer on his/her QuikPAY account. Authorized Payers receive electronic E-bill notification and access to view, print and pay the bill.

[ top ]

Billing Cycle

Binghamton University generates semester E-bill statements in August for the fall term and in January for the spring term. Students will receive a monthly E-bill statement via email if new semester charges are assessed due to changes to class registration, housing assessment or meal plan, as well as miscellaneous charges, along with any past due balance owed. All bills are issued the first week of the month.

It is important to make payment immediately for balances due to avoid holds and late fees. The Office of Student Accounts encourages students and authorized payers to check their QuikPAY accounts weekly throughout the semester to ensure all balances are paid in full.

[ top ]

Due Date & Fees

If payment is not made in full by the due date on the E-bill statement, the account is subject to a $30 fee.

[ top ]

Payment Plan

Binghamton University has partnered with Nelnet Business Solutions to offer an affordable, web-based semester payment plan. The payment plan provides students with the opportunity to divide the balance due into equal installments for a specified number of months. The payment plan option is offered to students and families interest-free. Depending on when you enroll, the plan allows students and families to spread the balance into monthly payments over a period of up to four months (Fall: Sep., Oct., Nov., Dec.; Spring: Feb., Mar., Apr., May). A non-refundable enrollment fee of $40 per term is required to activate the payment plan. Payment plans are available for the Fall and Spring terms only, and you must re-enroll each semester. Payment plans must be processed online through the student's QuikPAY account. Semester payment plans cannot be processed in the Student Accounts Office.

[ top ]


Accounts that have not signed up for a payment plan and still have a balance on their account at the end of the sixth week of classes will have an Accounts Receivable (AR) hold placed on their record. An AR hold prevents the student from registering for upcoming semesters, receiving grades, receiving official academic transcripts and receiving their diploma.

[ top ]


As a New York state agency, Binghamton University is required by Section 18 of the New York State Finance Law to follow certain collection procedures for past due debts.

Past due balances owed to the University that are not paid in full by the end of the term will be forwarded to a collection agency or the NYS Attorney General's office. Once a student's account is sent to a collection agency or the NYS Attorney General's Office, the student is made ineligible to attend the University until the past due balance is paid in full. Any registration for a future term will be canceled. The student will be assessed additional collection costs, penalties and interest. The debt will be reported to the major credit bureaus, thus negatively impacting the student's credit rating.

Per State Finance Law, § 18, State agencies are authorized to assess interest or late payment penalty charges on overdue debt. State agencies or their representatives may charge collections fees to cover the estimated cost of processing, handling and collecting delinquent debts. If the debt is not paid within 90 days of your presumed receipt of the Section 18 notice, the amount can be as much as 22 percent of the outstanding debt. Per § 302.I(j) of Chapter V, Title 8 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations, no person shall receive credit or other official recognition for work completed satisfactorily, or be allowed to re-register, until all tuition, fees and all other charges authorized by Binghamton University have been paid or student loan obligations have been satisfied. Per State Finance Law Section § 19, State agencies are authorized to charge a return check fee when a check/electronic check is dishonored. Per State Tax Law § 171-f, State agencies are authorized to certify to the Department of Taxation and Finance that past due legally enforceable debts should be offset against any tax refunds, contracts or other State payments.

[ top ]

Paying Your Bill

[ top ]


Please visit for instructions on how to pay your bill.

[ top ]


Please visit for instructions on how to add an authorized payer.

Each time an E-bill statement is posted, the student and any Authorized Payers listed on his/her account will receive an E-bill notification via email. 

[ top ]


The Office of Student Accounts will refund credit balances on your account. A credit balance may be the result of an adjustment to charges, an overpayment made by you, or an overpyament created by financial aid that you receive.

Refunds are made payable to the student regardless of who made the payment. The only refund made payable to someone other than the student is a refund from the Parent PLUS Loan. Parent PLUS Loan refunds are made payable to the recipient indicated on the Parent PLUS Loan application.

Students are notified via email when a refund is processed. Direct deposit refunds are processed daily. Refund checks are printed once a week on Thursdays. If the refund check is not picked up within 14 days, the check is mailed to the permanent address on record. 

To sign up for direct deposit please visit for instructions.

[ top ]

Privacy Protection

Federal regulations and student privacy protection policies prohibit us from giving detailed information to callers unless they:

  1. provide the University ID (BNumber) for the student and
  2. are the student or an "Authorized Payer"

For the student's protection, email correspondence with the Student Accounts Office will be limited to general process and policy information only.

[ top ]

Confirmation of Enrollment

What is Confirmation of Enrollment?

We are required to confirm students' acceptance of charges and their review of required policies, and to be assured students have reviewed and understand the Board of Trustees policies when they enroll in classes. We ask students to certify their understanding by completing the Confirmation of Enrollment Form. If students fail to certify their understanding, we cannot offer them enrollment. Students will automatically be removed from their courses if they do not complete this process by the fifth day of classes.

Students are asked to certify their understanding by completing the Confirmation of Enrollment process every term.

By “Confirming Enrollment,” I agree to:

  • Accept financial liability for tuition and fees.
  • Understand that changes to registration will be assessed according to the SUNY Board of Trustees refund/adjustment schedule (see Tuition Refunds/Adjustment Schedule).
  • Understand that all billing notification is electronic and it is my responsibility to monitor my account and give access to authorized payers.
  • Agree to make payment by the established deadline and acknowledge that late and/or partial payments are subject to additional fees.
  • Understand that outstanding balances will result in a hold that will prohibit access to all registration activities and transcripts.
  • Authorize Binghamton University to use any available financial aid to pay any balance due.
[ top ]

Financial Aid

Financial Aid and Student Records works with students to explore all federal and state funding options available. Financial aid consists of grants, loans, scholarships and part-time employment. Basic responsibility for financing higher education rests with students and their families; assistance from federal/state/institutional resources is offered to help families finance their student's education.

[ top ]

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students applying for financial assistance must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA is the standard application for federal and institutional aid. Students must file online at New York state residents should also complete a NYS Student Aid Payment Application upon completion of the FAFSA. The link is provided on the FAFSA confirmation page. If missed, students can complete and sign an application online with New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) at Students apply for most forms of financial assistance listed in this publication by completing these applications and submitting any other documentation that is requested to the school or HESC. Please note that an initial and separate application is required for the NYS Excelsior Scholarship Program. Refer to the HESC website for more program information as well as application dates and deadlines. More detailed information about Binghamton's financial aid process, types of aid, guidelines, etc. is available at

[ top ]

Recommended FAFSA Filing Dates

It is recommended that returning students (this means all students other than newly admitted students) who wish to be considered for financial aid administered by the University complete and submit their FAFSA by March 1 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester. FAFSAs can still be submitted after these dates but must be received before the last day of the student's enrollment during that aid year. (Note: it can take up to one week from the date of filing for this office to receive a FAFSA from the Department of Education.) Campus-based funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to students who file by the recommended deadline, and demonstrate the greatest financial need and highest academic achievement.

[ top ]

Information Required to Determine Eligibility for Financial Aid

In most cases, a financial aid offer will be made without all of the required documentation being received. However, no funds will be disbursed to the student until all requirements (i.e., verification documents, tax return information, etc.) have been received and a financial aid counselor has reviewed the student’s application to verify the accuracy of the information provided. Students are notified via their official Binghamton University email address if additional information is needed or if there was a change in eligibility based on the documents submitted and information verified.

A delay should be expected in the processing of a financial aid application if:

  • the FAFSA is not signed, completed correctly, or filed in a timely manner
  • the requested documents are not received before the deadline provided
  • the requested documents submitted are incomplete or illegible

If a student fails to submit the required documentation by the deadline provided, all financial aid offers will be rescinded.

[ top ]

Eligibility Criteria

To receive federal/state-funded financial aid, students must meet general eligibility criteria established by the federal government/state agency and coordinated through Financial Aid and Student Records. Applicants must be matriculated students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; not be in default on any student loans or owe a refund on a federal grant; registered with Selective Service, if required; and making satisfactory academic progress. (See Determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress section and also visit In some cases, as noted below, part-time students may receive federal and/or state aid. Non-matriculated students may be eligible for federally-funded loans during a one-time, 12-consecutive-month period, if taking approved prerequisite coursework only. Some aid programs, as noted, are restricted to undergraduate students.

[ top ]

Additional Funding Needs

Summer or Winter Session(s): Attending Summer and/or Winter Session is often a way to accelerate one's degree. Limited financial aid sources are available for matriculated, Binghamton University undergraduate and graduate students in good academic standing attending Summer Session. Students enrolled in at least six (6) credits may be eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Parent Loans, Alternative Loans*, and New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grants (more TAP details below). Financial aid is not available for Winter Session.

*Alternative Loans may be available to students registered for fewer than six (6) credits based on individual lender policies.

Education Abroad: Federal and state grants and loans may be used to cover study-abroad charges for Binghamton University or another SUNY program. If you plan to attend a winter or summer abroad program, loans may be the only available aid and will be deducted from your fall or spring financial aid package. Students who have met all degree requirements in a semester prior to attending an abroad semester, are not eligible for financial aid funding for the subsequent abroad semester.

[ top ]

Responsibilities of Financial Aid Recipients

Financial-aid recipients are expected to complete the FAFSA application process annually by the recommended filing dates noted, and to submit required documentation in a timely manner. Students must meet requirements for measuring satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree. (See Satisfactory Academic Progress section below for further information.) Students are obligated to report receipt of any additional outside sources, such as scholarships, grants or loans, to Financial Aid and Student Records.

[ top ]

Adjustments to Aid Offers

Federal, state or institutional financial aid is an offer based on full-time enrollment and analysis of the information provided on the FAFSA and/or reports of financial assistance received on behalf of the student from another agency or group. The University reserves the right to make adjustments to financial aid offers due to unusual family circumstances, changes in enrollment or residency, income verification or failure to provide required documentation. See the following webpage for specifics about Special Circumstances and appeals:

The University further reserves the right to make proportionate adjustments in campus-administered financial aid if federal or state funding to the University changes and/or if more students accept their aid packages than anticipated. Students who do not meet the requirements determined by the University are required to repay any financial aid funds they have received. Students who withdraw from the University before the end of an academic term may be required to repay a portion of their financial aid. For more information about a semester withdrawal, go to

Again, since the aid is an offer, it may be adjusted at a later date due to the following reasons:

  • changes in funding
  • incomplete application
  • corrections made to information on the FAFSA
  • financial aid or scholarships received from outside sources exceed level of need or cost of attendance
  • substantial change in family’s financial situation
  • change in enrollment status (i.e., full-time to part-time)
  • withdrawal during the tuition refund period or during the semester (schedule is available in the Student Accounts Office)
  • results from federal verification that may change eligibility
  • resident assistants (RAs) that receive room and board credit
  • enrollment in courses that exceed or do not fulfill graduation requirements
  • change in residency (state residency or commuter status)
  • notification of federal loan or grant overpayment
  • subsequent knowledge of loan default status
  • failure to meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines
  • failure to meet eligibility requirements
  • applicable National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) guidelines
  • retaking of a passed courses (if more than once)
  • change in student’s grade level
  • graduate tuition scholarships not previously considered (i.e., tuition waivers, assistantships, etc.)

Should there be a revision to an initial offer, notification will be sent to the student's Binghamton University email address.

[ top ]

Additional Terms and Conditions

  • To be considered for financial aid, students must file a new FAFSA each academic year. A financial aid offer reflects the amount of funds available for the current academic year. Aid offers may differ each year based on FAFSA information, availability of funds and grade level of the eligible student.
  • Financial aid offer notifications are sent via email to all students. Students are instructed to go online to Binghamton University’s portal, and login to BU BRAIN Self Service, Financial Aid tab, to view, print financial aid plan, and accept/decline student loans.
  • Most components of a financial aid offer, except earnings from Federal Work Study employment, are credited by semester to a student’s account. If financial aid exceeds the student's semester charges, a refund is issued.
  • An offer that includes an estimated New York state TAP Grant or Excelsior Scholarship is an approximation of eligibility based on information provided on the FAFSA. Students are required to complete and sign a NYS Student Aid Payment Application and/or Excelsior Scholarship application with New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) before actual and final eligibility is determined. An actual award may differ from the estimated amount, depending on documented information provided by the applicant to the state agency and verification of income.
  • Any tuition-specific scholarship is considered a resource. Therefore, it is included in the financial aid package and may affect eligibility for other funding sources.
  • An offer of Federal Work Study (FWS) does not guarantee a job.
  • Once employed, a student participating in FWS receives a bi-weekly paycheck based on the number of hours worked in a given pay period up to the FWS amount.
  • If there are unusual family circumstances (such as loss of employment or high medical expenses), students may file an appeal based on special circumstances. See the following webpage for more information:
  • Graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships or fellowships through their respective academic departments. In most cases, the assistantship also includes a tuition scholarship. If the student should receive a tuition scholarship, it means that the tuition is paid by the department for a specific number of credit hours.
  • Graduate assistants will receive funding based on the contract agreement with the Graduate School. This offer may be withdrawn after the first two weeks of the term depending upon availability of positions. A graduate student who is offered a Graduate Federal Work Study (GFWS) Assistantship receives his or her assignment from the Graduate School. However, an offer of FWS does not guarantee a job.
  • Financial Aid and Student Records are notified of students receiving tuition scholarships by the Graduate School and/or academic departments. If notified after a financial aid package is calculated, the package must be adjusted so that the student is not over-awarded. A revision email notice will be sent to the student.
  • Students are required to notify Financial Aid and Student Records of any scholarship received (even if the scholarship is given directly to the student).
  • All financial aid resources must be used for educational expenses only.
[ top ]

How a University Withdrawal Affects Federal Aid Eligibility

The University is required to review a student's record if they withdraw from the University and receive federal financial aid in order to calculate the amount of aid that a student has earned. In addition, future aid eligibility may be impacted (see Satisfactory Academic Progress section). For this reason, it is extremely important that prior to withdrawing, students consult with Financial Aid and Student Records.

The formula used to calculate the percentage of federal aid earned due to a withdrawal: Number of calendar days in attendance during the term = percentage of aid earned divided by the number of calendar days in the term.

Federal regulations state that once a student has attended more than 60 percent of the term, the student is considered to have earned 100 percent of their aid and no adjustment to aid is needed. If the student has attended less than 60 percent of the term, any "unearned" federal aid must be returned to the federal government. Students will be notified within 30 days of the date their withdrawal was processed of any aid that must be returned.  

[ top ]


[ top ]

Federal Pell Grants

Pell grants are available to help full-time or part-time matriculated undergraduate students pay for their educational expenses. Only students with the highest financial need as determined by the FAFSA, are eligible for these grants.  In 2020-21, Federal Pell Grants range from $639 to $6,345 for full-time enrollment and are based on financial need and enrollment, which is frozen the day after the add/drop deadline each semester. This is referred to as the Pell Grant Recalculation Date (PRD). For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG grants provide assistance to matriculated, Pell eligible undergraduate students with “exceptional need.”  Financial Aid and Student Records is responsible for selecting eligible students and determining the amount of the award based on need and funds available. The maximum SEOG award is $500 per aid year. For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grants

Grants are awarded to students admitted/enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) and are based on financial need. These New York state grants range from $1,000 to $2,700. For details about EOP, please visit:

[ top ]

NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

To qualify for NYS aid funding, a NYS TAP Payment application must be completed each year. TAP provides grants to full-time, matriculated undergraduate students, which range from $500 to $5,165 in 2019-20. Limits for minimum and maximum awards for future years are determined by action of the New York State Legislature. Applicants must be New York state residents and U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; be matriculated and enrolled full time in a degree program; meet income criteria; and be making satisfactory academic progress. Students may receive TAP funding for up to eight semesters of study as an undergraduate. For complete details, please visit: TAP is not available to graduate students.

[ top ]

NYS Part-Time TAP

Part-Time TAP may be available for matriculated students taking 6 to 11 credits who in the previous academic year have earned two consecutive semesters of 12 credits each (24 credits total) and maintained a “C” average.

[ top ]

NYS Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other financial aid programs, allows students to attend tuition-free. For program information, eligibility and application information, please visit:  

[ top ]

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

APTS is an undergraduate grant program financed by New York state and awarded by Financial Aid and Student Records. The program provides aid to eligible, part-time undergraduate students to help pay tuition expenses up to $1,000 per semester.

To be considered for an award, students must be matriculated; enrolled in 3-11 credit hours; maintain satisfactory academic progress; be residents of New York state; be either U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens; meet the income limits; not be in default of a federal student loan; and have not exhausted Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility. Students must submit an application by the deadline listed on the application. Applications are available in Financial Aid and Student Records and online at beginning July 1. For complete details, please visit:

[ top ]

Additional NYS grants, scholarships and awards

For more information on what NYS offers in grants, scholarships and awards, please visit 

[ top ]

State University of New York Empire State Diversity Honors Scholarship Program

The University participates in the SUNY Diversity Honors Scholarship Program, which provides assistance to undergraduates who are residents of New York state, have demonstrated high academic achievement, and who will reflect the diversity of the student body. Awards for 2019-20 are $1,000; awards for future years are determined by action of the New York State Legislature. No application is required.

[ top ]


Loans are financial aid awards that must be repaid. They are funded through federal or private sources. Students can use an online calculator such as to determine payments or a loan simulator to determine repayment options, such as

[ top ]

Federal Perkins Loans

The Perkins Loan Program ended on September 30, 2017.   

[ top ]

Federal Nursing Loans

To be considered for a Nursing Loan, undergraduate or graduate students must be accepted for admission or enrolled at least half-time in the Decker School of Nursing. The amount of this loan is based on financial need and ranges from $3,300 to $5,200 per academic year, based on grade level. No interest is charged while the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits. Interest is a fixed rate of 5 percent and repayment begins nine months after the student leaves school, with a maximum of 10 years to repay. More details at:

[ top ]

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is a need-based program that allows eligible freshmen to borrow federal funds up to $3,500 per academic year; sophomores up to $4,500; juniors and seniors up to $5,500. The federal government pays the interest while the student is in school; therefore the borrower is not responsible for the interest that accrues while in school and during the six-month grace period. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits. Loans are generally repaid over a ten-year period, but other repayment options are available. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted from the loan before it is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. More details at:

[ top ]

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to students who may not qualify for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, or who may qualify for only a partial Direct Subsidized Loan. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits. The borrower is responsible for the interest that accrues while in school and during the six-month grace period. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted from the loan before it is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. The combined loan total (both subsidized and unsubsidized) may not exceed the federally set annual limits: freshmen, $5,500; sophomores, $6,500; juniors and seniors, $7,500; and graduate students, $20,500 (eligible for unsubsidized only). Additional funding is available through this program for independent undergraduate students and dependent students whose Parent PLUS Loans have been denied. More details at:

[ top ]

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available to eligible graduate and professional students enrolled in at least 6 credits. A separate application is required and available at and is contingent upon credit approval. These loans are part of the Federal Direct Loan Program, whereby federal funds are borrowed directly from the Department of Education. Students may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance each academic year. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted before the loan is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. Borrowers may choose to begin repayment within 60 days after final disbursement of the loan for that academic year or defer payment until 6 months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits. Note: Interest does accrue during periods of deferment. More details at:
[ top ]

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans are available to parents and stepparents of students enrolled in at least 6 credits. A separate application is required and available at and is contingent upon credit approval. These loans are part of the Federal Direct Loan Program, whereby federal funds are borrowed directly from the Department of Education. Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance, minus other aid, per academic year for each matriculated dependent enrolled in at least 6 credits. Interest is a fixed rate and an origination fee is automatically deducted before the loan is disbursed. Congressional action is required to determine interest rates and fees each year. Parent PLUS borrowers may choose to begin repayment within 60 days after final disbursement of the loan for that academic year or defer payments until 6 months after the student graduates or falls below 6 credits. Note: interest accrues during the periods of deferment. More details at:

[ top ]

Private Education Loans

Many lenders offer a variety of credit and/or collateral-based loans that students and/or parents may apply for. Private Education Loans are for educational purposes only. Once approved by the lender, Financial Aid and Student Records will be sent an electronic or paper request to certify the loan. Certification is based on eligibility criteria such as enrollment and academic progress verification, and is limited to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received, including federal loans. Lenders offer a variety of terms and repayment options. Please note that the interest rates may be variable or fixed and may be higher than federally-funded loans. Students/families are encouraged to take advantage of all federal loan options first and research private education loans thoroughly before borrowing. More details:

[ top ]

Short-Term Uncollateralized Emergency Loans

Short-term loans are available to students enrolled at the University. Supported by the Binghamton University Foundation and the University Women through the Wanda Bartle Student Loan Fund, emergency loan funds are administered by the Foundation for students in good financial standing with the University. More details are available at

[ top ]

Federal Work Study (FWS)

This need-based program provides funding to pay students for on- or off-campus employment and provides an opportunity to help defray college expenses and offers meaningful work experiences.  Off-campus jobs are with area employers, contributing to the local business community. FWS is offered to eligible students new to the University, on a first-come, first-served basis. FWS is also offered to eligible continuing students who held a FWS job in the previous academic year. An offer of FWS does not guarantee placement in a FWS job. Most graduate FWS awards are in the form of assistantships and must be applied for through the University’s Graduate School. Students employed through FWS work an average of ten (10) hours per week. More details at:

[ top ]

Student Employment 

Regardless of financial need, students may find information about part-time on- and off-campus employment by visiting the Student Employment website at In addition, you can review job listings on the hireBING by Handshake website at Many students find jobs in a variety of offices and departments on campus, as well as at various community businesses.

[ top ]

Studying away from Campus

On a limited basis, Binghamton University permits the use of financial aid for studying away from campus (taking coursework at another institution). Approvals are based on specific criteria — i.e., required coursework not offered at Binghamton University; hardship; special circumstances, etc. For more information go to:

[ top ]

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Federal Financial Aid

Federal regulations require that students meet specific standards that include both qualitative (grade point average) and quantitative (coursework completed — i.e., attempted vs. earned and within the maximum time frame) measures of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to receive Title IV student financial assistance — i.e., Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work Study, Federal Nursing Loan, Federal Direct Loans [subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS]. Students must meet these standards whether or not they received Title IV funding during a prior period of enrollment. Students who fall below the minimum standards at the end of a term may be eligible for Title IV financial aid in the following term and will be considered in "Federal Warning" for one semester only. Students are expected to meet SAP requirements in subsequent terms or they will lose Title IV eligibility. For more detailed information about federal SAP, visit the following Financial Aid webpage:

SAP Review: Academic records are reviewed at the end of each semester, including summer, to determine SAP eligibility for the following semester. The academic progress of students readmitted to the University is reviewed at the time of readmission. Students who have lost federal aid eligibility and believe that a correction of an error, a grade change or the recording of summer courses and grades will re-establish eligibility for federal aid, must have the necessary changes reflected on their academic record (transcript) in order to be considered eligible for aid for that semester. Any changes processed subsequent to the end of the semester (within the aid year) will not entitle the student to retroactive reinstatement of federal aid for that semester unless exceptional circumstances have been approved by the appropriate school official.

Appeals: Students who fail to meet the minimum standards may appeal the loss of aid if there are extraordinary or unusual circumstances beyond their control that resulted in their failure to meet the standards. Documentation of these circumstances is required as part of the appeal review process. An assessment of the student’s academic situation, and ability to regain satisfactory academic progress by the end of the appeal period are part of this process. For complete details, visit

[ top ]

State Financial Aid

The following are state aid programs administered by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) and the New York State Education Department:

  • Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
  • Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
  • Memorial Scholarship for Families of Deceased Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Police Officers, Peace Officers and Emergency Medical Service Workers
  • Veterans Tuition Awards
  • World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship
  • NYS Scholarship for Academic Excellence
  • Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program
  • Aid for Part-time Study Program
  • Part-time Tuition Assistance Program (Part-time TAP)
  • NYS STEM Incentive Program
  • NY-AIMS Scholarship
  • Masters in Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship

To be eligible for the above listed programs students must meet the following requirements:

  • Meet one of the United States citizenship requirements
  • Meet New York state residency requirements (except for World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship Recipients)
  • Enroll as a full-time student (except for awards designated above as part-time), courses that do not count towards a student's degree also do not count for determining enrollment status
  • Be matriculated in a degree program
  • Must have a declared major if student has 56 or more accumulated credits
  • Meet the good academic standing, academic progress and program pursuit requirements listed below
  • Must have a U.S. high school diploma, or the recognized equivalent

All undergraduate students must meet the conditions of academic progress and program pursuit in this section of the publication to continue receiving state financial assistance.

Academic Progress: The academic progress chart in this section of the publication states the number of graduation credits and the minimum grade-point average students must meet to remain eligible for future state payments. Academic performance expectations are quite low at the beginning, allowing for a time of adjustment to college work, but after several semesters, the expectations more closely approximate the overall minimum of 2.0 GPA necessary to qualify for a degree.

[ top ]

State Student Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Chart

State Aid Academic Progress Chart for Bachelor’s Degree as proposed by the Governor in the 2011-12 New York State Executive Budget
Before Being Certified for This Payment
Payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th**
A Student Must Have Accrued at Least This Many Credits
Credits 0 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 90 105
With at Least This Grade Point Average
GPA 0.00 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

For example, note on the chart for the bachelor’s degree that students must complete 27 credits with a 1.8 GPA to be eligible for the fourth payment of a New York state award. Thus, a student who has accrued 26 or fewer credits is not eligible for the fourth payment of a New York state award. Likewise, a student with less than a 1.8 GPA is not eligible for a fourth payment of a New York state award. The student needs to reach the stated minimums to be eligible for the next award. (See “Appeals”.) **Although the academic progress standards allow 10 semesters for completion of a bachelor’s degree, the maximum award period at the undergraduate level is four years, except for approved five-year degree programs or in the case of EOP students.

Transfer students may be granted beneficial placement. Beneficial placement is determination of placement on the chart in accordance with either the number of payments a student has received or the number of credits earned, whichever is more beneficial to the student.

Undergraduate Program Pursuit: In addition to meeting the criteria outlined on the Academic Progress Chart, State Education Department regulations require students who receive New York state awards to complete a minimum number of credits toward the degree each semester as follows:

  • In each semester of the first year of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of six credits of course-work with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.
  • In each semester of the second year of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of nine credits of coursework with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.
  • In each semester of the third and fourth years of New York state awards, students must complete a minimum of 12 credits of coursework with grades of A, B, C, D, F, P or I.

Grades of I must be made up within one semester to have the credits counted.

Students who do not complete the minimum number of credits in a given semester are ineligible for New York state financial aid in the following term or until additional credits are completed to reach the minimum level.

Only courses that count toward a student’s degree may be used for meeting the program-pursuit requirement.

Appeals: Students who fall below the minimum criteria under Academic Progress or Program Pursuit may be eligible to receive one appeal during their undergraduate career. The appeal is intended to accommodate only extraordinary or unusual circumstances, that is, circumstances beyond the student’s control and not merely the result of poor judgment or academic irresponsibility. Documentation of these circumstances by a third party is required as part of the appeal review process. Appeals are first routed through the appropriate academic advisor and then forwarded to Financial Aid and Student Records for approval. Procedures for recommending the grant appeals, by academic officers, follow University policies relating to appeals procedures for academic suspension from the University. If granted, the appeal becomes part of the student’s financial aid record and the student is expected to make minimum progress thereafter.

The maximum number of Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) semester payments is eight for an undergraduate student. Students who participated in a five-year undergraduate degree program or EOP are granted exceptions to the above semester payment schedule. The satisfactory program-pursuit levels depend on the total number of payments students have received (including any payments as undergraduates). Students who fail to meet the prescribed standards for academic progress are ineligible for state financial assistance until the minimum standards have been met through additional coursework.

[ top ]

Assistantships and Fellowships

All applicants to the Graduate School are evaluated and considered for fellowships and assistantships. To be considered for University funding, students must submit completed applications by the published application deadline. Application and funding deadlines vary by program. See deadlines. International applicants should generally apply at least one month before these deadlines. While there is no general funding application, certain programs, departments, schools and colleges may have specific funding requirements.

Decisions on the awarding of assistantships and fellowships are made by the department or school/college to which the applicant is seeking admission. Applicants for fellowship and assistantship support are notified by the department or school/college as soon as possible after decisions have been made. Assistantship and fellowship awards to new and continuing students are made on a competitive basis, normally for a period of one academic year. The graduate committee of the program determines the procedures and criteria for renewal of the award in subsequent academic years.

Recipients of assistantships and fellowships must pursue a full-time program of study. The recipient’s obligation to provide service in exchange for the stipend and/or tuition scholarship is clearly described in the letter of appointment, as is the stipend/tuition scholarship amount and other important terms and conditions of the appointment. Students receiving an assistantship or fellowship are expected to agree to and sign the appropriate terms and conditions statements, which are available on the Graduate School website.

[ top ]

Tuition Scholarships for Assistants and Fellows

Scholarships covering part or all of the cost of tuition may be awarded to enrolled graduate students who qualify on the basis of merit, pursuant to guidelines established by the chancellor of the State University of New York.

Tuition scholarship recipients who are eligible must establish New York state residency before classes begin. In the second year, and before classes begin, the student must then apply for residency using the Application for New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes, which is available from and must be filed with Student Accounts. International students and students who remain financially dependent on their parents are not eligible and therefore need not apply for residency.

Tuition scholarship support is used to establish financial aid loan eligibility. Students who apply for financial aid will find their eligibility reduced by the amount of the tuition scholarship at the time the scholarship is applied and should consult with their financial aid counselor.

Tuition scholarship funds may not be used to cover any courses that are not graduate courses including: 100-, 200- or 300-level courses, 400-level courses not individually approved for graduate credit, courses taken on an audit basis or physical education courses.

Students who withdraw or reduce enrollment from full-time to part-time prior to the last day of the semester forfeit the tuition scholarship award. Such students become liable for repayment of any tuition covered by tuition scholarship funds.

Tuition scholarship awards provide for remission of tuition only; fees may not be waived. Students receiving a tuition scholarship are expected to agree to and sign the appropriate terms and conditions statements, which are available on the Graduate School website.

Individual departments, in conjunction with the Graduate School, are required to ensure that students meet the above terms and conditions. By signing the form, the student agrees to meet them. The student’s failure to meet them will result in a temporary hold on his or her paycheck.

[ top ]

Enrollment Requirements and Employment Limitations

A student holding a fellowship, assistantship or traineeship appointment must maintain full-time enrollment throughout the period of the award. Since the award of an assistantship or fellowship carries the expectation that the recipient is a full-time student, students receiving these stipends may not concurrently be otherwise employed without special permission from the Graduate School. A student’s total obligation may not exceed 20 hours per week. Students holding full-time jobs are not eligible for fellowships or assistantships.

[ top ]

Teaching and Research Requirements for Graduate Students, Assistants and Trainees

A significant number of master’s and doctoral students hold assistantships or traineeships awarded by the University to enable them to pursue study toward their degrees. As in the case of fellowships or scholarships, these assistantships and traineeships are awarded on a competitive basis, with academic merit being the primary determining criterion, but with financial need also taken into account in some cases.

Research assistants help faculty members in their research work. Graduate assistants and trainees usually assist faculty in research efforts and may also assist in the teaching of undergraduate courses. Teaching assistants focus on helping faculty in the teaching of courses. Research Foundation appointments for full-time graduate students performing duties related to their educational requirements may carry the title of research project assistant. The assistants in all of these categories typically serve approximately 10 to 20 hours per week in research or teaching while pursuing regular full-time study toward their degrees.

These research and teaching assignments are in accordance with the requirement stipulated in guidelines issued by the chancellor of the State University of New York to the effect that all graduate degree candidates are required to demonstrate mastery both of research capability and of teaching competence. In every instance, the research or teaching service performed by assistants is conducted under the supervision and evaluation of a faculty mentor. This service is apprenticeship training in partial fulfillment of the requirements of their master’s or doctoral degree programs, as stipulated by the chancellor of the State University of New York; these requirements must be fulfilled in an equivalent manner by all degree candidates. Assignments as assistants or trainees, therefore, are intrinsic to the teaching and research apprenticeships required for the completion of degree requirements. At the same time, the stipends support the most academically meritorious students in completing their degree requirements in the shortest possible time.