Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science — Undergraduate Programs

[ top ]

Submit inquiries to:

Watson Academic Advising
Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science
Binghamton University
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, New York 13902-6000

The following Bachelor of Science degrees are offered by the Watson College. For full descriptions, please refer to the individual program sections of this Bulletin:

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Biomedical Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Computer Science

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Computer Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Electrical Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Industrial and Systems Engineering

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Information Systems (Dual Diploma)

Bachelor of Science (BS) – Mechanical Engineering

The bachelor of science programs in engineering disciplines are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, The bachelor of science program in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET,

The bachelor of science programs in engineering are licensure-qualifying programs. Students in a bachelor of science program in engineering who are within twenty credits of graduation, or who have graduated from one of Binghamton University's EAC/ABET accredited bachelor of science programs in engineering, are automatically eligible to sit for the NCEES FE exam (National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying, Fundamentals of Engineering exam).  

Please note: Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of programs in the Watson College, participate in certain activities or projects, and/or obtain professional engineering licenses.  Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the Watson College's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Administration in the Dean's Office.

Various accelerated degree (4+1) BS/MS programs and BS/MBA options are also available to Watson College juniors. For further information on BS/MS programs, refer to the combined programs section of this publication or contact the department of major. For information on BS/MBA options, refer to the combined programs section of this publication and contact the department of the major or contact the School of Management.

Other double degrees are possible and may be discussed on an individual basis in the Watson Advising Office.

[ top ]

Continuing Education Status

Individuals interested in taking courses for credit, but not in pursuing a degree program, may apply for admission as continuing education students. All continuing education students are subject to the administrative guidelines described elsewhere in this publication. Upon acceptance, they may enroll as space permits in Watson College courses for which they have completed the prerequisites. Courses taken under continuing education status may be accepted later to satisfy requirements in specific Watson College degree programs. A student may take a maximum of 24 credit hours as a continuing education student.

[ top ]

Academic Policies

The Watson College follows the academic policies described in the University Bulletin. Watson College students are expected to be familiar with and abide by the regulations in this section.

All matriculated students follow the requirements for graduation listed in the University Bulletin current at the time they are admitted. However, undergraduate students who interrupt enrollments for three or more consecutive semesters are governed by the University Bulletin in effect when they are re-enrolled. Exceptions are made for students eligible to return to Binghamton who were forced to leave because of involuntary call to military service.

[ top ]

Program Load and Planning

Undergraduate students are considered full time if they are registered for 12 credit hours or more. The maximum number of credits a Watson College student may take, without an approved petition, is 18. Overloads for engineering students up to 22 credits with a 3.3 GPA will be automatic after the first week of classes; however, Computer Science students must submit a petition to the undergraduate director. Others that wish to petition can still use the general academic petition for review.

Watson College students may drop below 12 credits without consent and be classified as part time. Students receiving financial aid should check with the Office of Financial Aid before dropping to part time, because their action may affect aid eligibility.

[ top ]

Requirements for Degrees

To receive any Watson College undergraduate engineering degree, students must satisfactorily complete 30 credits of residency, meaning courses taken entirely in the Watson College. The undergraduate computer science degree requires 40 credits of residency. Students must also complete 45 credits of upper level (300-400) coursework. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be made by petition to the Watson College Undergraduate Studies Committee and be approved by the dean.

Students must not be under any disciplinary action at the time of graduation. They must also pay or satisfactorily adjust all fees and bills.

For additional graduation requirements, consult the descriptions of the specific degree programs.

[ top ]

General Education Requirements

All Watson College students are subject to the University's General Education requirements (

[ top ]

Grading System

Students who enroll in courses offered outside of Watson College undergraduate programs are graded according to the grading system of the school offering the course. Such students may petition to have the Watson College’s undergraduate grading system apply.

Watson College undergraduate courses are graded in one of two ways:

  • A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, C–, D, F, W; or
  • Pass/Fail.

Watson College students must meet all degree requirements under the letter grade option. The only exceptions are for any General Education activity/wellness courses offered on a Pass/Fail basis. Computer science majors are allowed an additional four credits of free elective work on a pass/fail basis.

[ top ]


Instructors may temporarily submit a grade notation of Incomplete, which appears in grade reports as “I”. A grade of Incomplete must be removed and replaced with a permanent grade no later than the last day of classes of the semester following the one in which it was received; however, an instructor may set an earlier date for completion of the work. Students should work with their professor to construct a reasonable timeline for work to be completed. If the grade is not removed by the applicable date, and an extension has not been granted, the grade of "I" automatically becomes a grade of "F".

[ top ]

Appeal of Final Grade

Students seeking to appeal a final grade must first try to resolve the issue with the instructor issuing the grade and then the department chairperson before appealing to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Administration. The Associate Dean and the department chairpersons will not consider any appeal that is made on the basis of disagreement with the instructor over content of an exam answer, paper, or other assignment. Appeals are only considered by the department chairpersons and the Associate Dean when they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Instructor violated the terms of the syllabus
  • Instructor made an error in calculating or recording a grade
  • Instructor violated a university policy when he/she gave assignments, administered exams, or assigned grades
  • Instructor applied an inconsistent grading standard across students
  • Instructor did not allow the student to complete assignments or exams missed before the student added the course
  • Instructor violated a written agreement with the student

Students appeal their final grade by completing the Final Grade Appeal Form

Grade changes for Fall semester courses should be completed by the end of the second week of classes in the Spring semester and changes for Spring semester courses should be completed within four weeks of Commencement.

[ top ]

Watson College Policy for Course Withdrawal after the Official University Withdrawal Deadline

Under extraordinary circumstances, a student may seek a late withdrawal from a course via BU Brain. This is subject to the approval of both the instructor and Watson Advising. The following is required:

  • A complete description of extenuating circumstances
  • Accompanying official documentation (medical reports, etc.)

Both of the above are mandatory. A request must be received by the Watson Advising Office no later than 72 hours before the last day of classes in the current semester.

[ top ]

Repeating Courses

Under certain circumstances students may repeat a course in which a passing grade was earned; however, only the first passing grade counts in the grade point average. Both grades are displayed on the transcript, with the second passing grade noted as a repeated course. The repeated course counts toward full-time enrollment for the semester. As students make their decisions about repeating courses, they should consult Watson Advising for guidance.

When students repeat a course, whether due to a failing grade or to receive a better grade, those credits will be counted as attempted for purposes of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and federal aid calculations to determine rate of completion and maximum time frame rules. Please refer to the following website for additional information:

[ top ]

Add/Drop Policies

Students are expected to be familiar with the University-wide policies governing changes in their course registration, specifically the add/drop deadlines. Deadlines can be found on the University Calendar: No changes can be made to a student record after the degree has been conferred.

Note: If an academic petition is approved for a late add or late drop because of extraordinary circumstances, a late add/drop fee is placed on the student's account.

[ top ]

Change of Major

Watson Engineering students in their first semester of residence (within declared major) who wish to change their major, must receive approval from intended major/department (signed General Academic Petition). 

[ top ]

Academic Standing

[ top ]

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students’ academic progress is reviewed at the end of each regular semester to ensure that satisfactory progress is maintained. “Satisfactory progress” is defined as maintaining a 2.0 grade-point average (GPA). The GPA is calculated on a 4.0 system using the following grade-point equivalents:





































[ top ]

Academic Honors

Full time students who complete a semester with a 3.5 or better GPA are placed on the Dean’s Honors List. This honor is noted on the permanent transcript.

For graduation honors, the criteria are:

  • 3.50-3.69 GPA: cum laude
  • 3.70-3.84 GPA: magna cum laude
  • 3.85-4.00 GPA: summa cum laude
[ top ]

Academic Probation and Suspension

Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA for courses taken at Binghamton falls below 2.0 are placed on academic probation for the following semester, and are subject to the following restrictions:

  • They may not register for more than 14 credit hours.
  • They may not campaign for or accept any campus office or committee chairmanship.

Students are removed from probation after the fall and spring semesters if their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above.

Academic probation does not preclude students from receiving financial aid. Standards for financial eligibility are described in the Financial Information section of this publication.

Suspension: Students who, for a second time, fail to meet both the 2.0 cumulative GPA and the last-semester GPA given in the Academic Dismissal Index table below are suspended. Suspension lasts for one academic semester, not including summer. If approved for readmission after a semester away, the student must maintain the minimum semester average noted below to avoid dismissal. Returning students who meet their last-semester GPA requirement as indicated below, but still have a cumulative GPA under 2.0, are once again on probation.

Hours Attempted

Last Semester GPA









Suspension Appeal: Appeals will be considered for students, but only if the suspension is due to extreme circumstances. An appeal letter must be written by the suspended student. Any medically-related appeal must be supported by acceptable medical documentation and must include written statements by medical professionals. Any other type of extreme emergency situation must also be carefully and officially documented.

Suspension Readmission: Students who decide to request readmission after the minimum of one semester away from school due to suspension are required to contact the Watson Advising Office to discuss their academic plan and begin the readmission process.

Final Dismissal: Students who, after being suspended and readmitted, again fail to meet the required academic standards are dismissed. All dismissals are final.

Withdrawal and Readmission

Undergraduate students who withdraw from the Watson College during any semester and wish to remain in good standing must follow a formal withdrawal procedure. Mere absence from class does not constitute withdrawal. A grade of W is assigned when the student has withdrawn from all courses and thus from the University. Grades of W do not count as courses taken.

The Watson College applies the same withdrawal and readmission policies as established for the University, except that Watson College students may drop below a 12-credit program without permission.

Undergraduate students must apply for readmission through the Undergraduate Admissions Office if they have not been in attendance for at least three consecutive semesters. Re-enrollment applications are available on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website:

Students who interrupt enrollment for three or more consecutive semesters are governed by the University Bulletin in effect when they are re-enrolled. Summer sessions and the semester when a student officially withdraws are not included in this count. Exceptions are made for students eligible to continue at Binghamton, who were forced to leave because of involuntary call to military service.

Students who have missed fewer than three consecutive semesters may register online during their assigned registration time.

[ top ]

Student Organizations and Honor Societies

Please refer to the Watson College's student organization webpage:

All Watson College students are eligible to receive the services provided for all students at Binghamton, and to participate in the various student activities. Students should familiarize themselves with the University Bulletin sections on services for students and student activities.

Undergraduate Programs