Information for Faculty and Staff

Guidelines for General Education Courses

Before submitting a request for Gen Ed designation, please review the descriptions of the General Education categories in General Education Guidelines. All General Education courses must be 4 credits, except for B, O, S, and Y courses. Students must take a General Education course for a letter grade in order to fulfill the requirement, except where Pass/Fail is the only option, which will primarily occur in B, S, and Y courses.

How to Submit Courses for Designation

Faculty, instructors, and departments interested in submitting courses for General Education designation should use the General Education Course Submission Google Form.

For those who had courses with provisional Gen Eds approvals and was taught in the past two years can submit their course for a re-submission.  Use the General Education Course Re-Submission Google Form

Please note that these forms require a Binghamton University email address. For more information, please contact the Assistant Director for Undergraduate Education at

Frequently Asked Questions

Assessment of General Education

Information is available on the course portfolio assessment process for General Education, including links to the Faculty Senate legislation regarding assessment of General Education and reports on several of the General Education categories.

The University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee is the Faculty Senate committee which oversees the General Education program.

Joint Task Force for General Education Implementation

The Faculty Senate Executive Committee and the Provost have charged a Joint Task Force Highlights of Task Force Charge for the new Implementation Plan: Students have no additional course requirements; No major reallocation of resources; Wide consultation with campus and affected parties through working groups appointed by the Task Force with input from the FSEC.

Co-Chairs: Donald Loewen and Sara Reiter

Members: John Starks, Diane Sommerville, Natalija Mijatovic, Megan Benson, Alexsa Silva, Dave Clark, Les Lander

Support: Paul Gorelik