Faculty / Staff Handbook X

X. Campus Resources and Facilities

X.A. Changes in the Use of University Space and Space Request Process

X.B. University Properties and Services

X.C. Secretarial Services

X.D. University Telephone Equipment and Services

X.E. Campus Mail Services

X.F. Discriminatory and Gender-Based Language

X.G. Use of Health Center

X.H. Use of Recreational Services

X.I. Motor Vehicle Registration and Parking

X.J. Lost and Found Property

X.K. Non-Credit Instructional Activities and Administrative Requirements

X.L. Educational Communications

X.M. Questionnaires and Surveys

X.N. Visiting Speakers

X.O. Guidelines for Sponsoring Campus Events

X.P. Guidelines for Sponsoring Campus Events Requiring Extraordinary Security

X.R. Child Protection Policy

X.S. Title IX

X.A. Changes in the Use of University Space and Space Request Process

Unit directors have responsibility for managing space assigned to their department. If additional space is needed and cannot be accommodated within a unit's existing space allocation, a space request form must be submitted to the respective vice president, or to the respective dean, in the case of academic departments. The dean or vice president can reallocate space within their division to accommodate the request. (All changes in space function or occupants must be reported to the Course Building and Academic Space Management Office within 14 days of the change.)

The Space Management Council (SMC), which is comprised of the five vice presidents, the senior vice provost/chief financial officer, the director of athletics, and the associate vice president for facilities management, the director of Course Building and Academic Space Management, and a Faculty Senate representative, reserves the right to reallocate space, as needed, to align with University priorities. When the University relocates all or a portion of a unit into new space, the space vacated by the unit becomes part of the University's pool for reassignment.

The SMC reserves the right to allocate space for a specific time period. Such space is considered part of the University's pool of space, not the division's space allocation. If the unit occupying the space desires to extend the allocation, the space request process must be followed.

The vehicle for requesting space is the Space Request Form. An analysis of all existing assigned space must also be provided by the requesting unit detailing room function, room occupant(s), occupant type (FT, PT, perm, temporary) and precise, daily utilization factors.

  • Request Process - The director, department chair or principal investigator completes a Space Request form (available at https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/cbasm/resources.html), provides analysis of existing space use, obtains necessary signatures, and forwards to their dean or AVP, as appropriate. If space is available from within the dean's or AVP's space allocation, space assignments can be made at the discretion of the dean or AVP. If space is not available and the dean or AVP supports the request for space, the dean or AVP, or representative thereof, in conjunction with the director of the Office of Course Building and Academic Space Management and the Physical Facilities director of Design, develops a space proposal that is forwarded by the dean or AVP to the Provost for consideration by the SMC.

SMC decisions will be relayed to the affected department by the director of Course Building and Academic Space Management. Once space recommendations are approved, the director, dean or designee is responsible for submitting a service request for any work needed by Physical Facilities. Approval of space changes does not constitute an approval of funding for any work that must be accomplished. Funding must be obtained separately.

Space use changes within space currently assigned to a department may be made by the controlling department as needed, but must be reported to the director of Course Building and Academic Space Management for the Campus Physical Space Inventory (PSI) to be updated.

X.B. University Properties and Services

X.B.1. General

University letterheads, forms, other stationery, stamps, mailing services, computer services, and duplicating services are charged to schools, departments, or programs. These services are not to be used for personal purposes or in connection with private, professional activities conducted for profit. Similarly, the services of clerical, stenographic, technical, and other personnel of the University may not be used for personal purposes during regular working hours. It is appropriate, however, with the permission of the dean or department chair, to use such stationery and services in connection with the work of professional societies and public service organizations. It is also permissible to use stenographic services for certain scholarly manuscripts (excluding dissertations) when stenographic help is available.

University facilities may not be used for private instruction.

Movable equipment may not be sold, loaned, or taken from the place where originally assigned for use without the approval of the property control officer. No equipment should be discarded, loaned, taken from the campus, or transferred to another division or area without notification to and prior approval of the property control officer by means of Property Removal Authorization Form A. (Also refer to Management Procedure 401, https://www.binghamton.edu/operations/policies/policy-401.html). 

X.B.2. Use of Facilities After Closing Hours

All unauthorized persons must leave University buildings at the time they are closed.

A University Building pass must be obtained from and signed by the faculty or staff member in charge of an office, classroom, or laboratory, and by the building administrator for authorization to be in these areas after they are locked. A person in a locked area must, upon the request of a police officer or security services assistant, show both written permission to be in the building and a valid University ID. Failure to do so will result in the person being escorted from the premises.

Forcible entry into any building or facility is prohibited. Propping open exterior or interior doors that allow access to a locked facility is also prohibited.

Failure to observe these rules may lead to University disciplinary action and/or arrest. (Also refer to Management Procedure 806, https://www.binghamton.edu/operations/policies/policy-806.html.)

X.B.3. Use of Facilities by Outside Groups

External organizations who would like to plan an event or conference on the Binghamton University campus. Must make reservations through the appropriate department and obtain a  SUNY Revocable Permit and a Certificate of Insurance.

The Anderson Center maintains an active community and student rental program that includes its three theaters: Osterhout Concert Theater, Chamber Hall and Watters Theater. In addition, it supports the academic mission of both the music and theatre departments. To check availability, contact Marnie Wrighter at 607-777-5802 or wrighter@binghamton.edu. http://www.binghamton.edu/anderson-center/

The Events Center, which is the premier multi-purpose facility of its kind in the state, and the West Gymnasium are home to Binghamton University's NCAA Division I athletic programs. Demand for use of these spaces is high, but when facility schedules permit, outside organizations may rent spaces within these buildings. To check availability, contact Ze Zeon at 607-777-9366. http://www.binghamton.edu/events-center/

X.B.4. Anderson Center

The Anderson Center for the Performing Arts is a University office serving the campus arts departments and the broader communities of the University and the Southern Tier. The staff of the center schedules and operates the physical facilities of the Anderson Center, and, with the arts departments, presents arts programming for the University and the community. The role of the center ranges from assisting users by providing services such as house, technical, and box office services to full promotion and presentation of a concert program booked by the center.

The performance spaces of the University - the Osterhout Concert Theater, the Chamber Hall, and Watters Theater - are primarily intended for performances by artists contracted by the Anderson Center, for rental activities, and for the performance activities of the departments of music and theatre. Use by other departments, schools, organizations, and student groups, other than those specified above, is subject to availability and is scheduled at the discretion of the director of the center in consultation with the appropriate groups. Offices wishing to schedule use of performance spaces should contact the center as early as possible during the academic year preceding the scheduled event. Use of the Osterhout Concert Theater, Watters Theater and Chamber Hall for regularly scheduled classes is permitted only by the Music and Theatre departments, subject to availability and review by the Anderson Center staff. 

Appropriate fees will be assessed for use of the facilities according to a fee schedule available from the Anderson Center for the Performing Arts office. Use of performance spaces implies the contracting of appropriate Anderson Center for the Performing Arts staff (e.g., technical, box office, house operations), as well as any necessary additional staff as determined by the director. Those desiring further information about timetables, scheduling criteria, and fees should inquire at the Anderson Center for the Performing Arts office.

X.B.5. Scheduling Activities

Please see the following contact information for scheduling activities:

  • General Purpose Classrooms: These rooms can be reserved by faculty, staff and authorized representatives of S.A. chartered organizations, University-recognized student and Greek groups using the B There Room Scheduling System (https://bthere.binghamton.edu/). Contact classrooms@binghamton.edu with any questions regarding reserving these rooms.
  • Anderson Center: Marnie Wrighter (wrighter@binghamton.edu). Schedules the Anderson Center (Osterhout Concert Theater, Chamber Hall and Anderson Center Reception Room), Watters Theater and Fine Arts Grand Corridor.
  • Benet Alumni Lounge: While primarily used for Advancement events, this room may be reserved for other events on a space available basis. Contact Alumni Engagement (777-2424) to request this space.
  • Center for Learning and Teaching Learning Studio LN 1324C: Shana White (smwhite@binghamton.edu).
  • Computer PODs: These rooms can be reserved by faculty, staff and students using the B There Room Scheduling System (https://bthere.binghamton.edu/) Contact Denise Hawkins (dhawkins@binghamton.edu) with any questions regarding reserving these rooms.
  • East Gym and Fields: If you are interested in making a reservation, please review the policies and complete the online request found on the Campus Recreation
  • Events Center: Ze Zeon (zezeon@binghamton.edu)
  • ITC Biotechnology Building Conference Rooms: Bill Kuhnel (wkuhnel@binghamton.edu)
  • ITC Center of Excellence Symposium Hall: Caroline Pasquale (cpasqual@binghamton.edu)
  • ITC Engineering and Science Building Rotunda and Multi-Purpose Rooms: Tammy Leighton (leighton@binghamton.edu)
  • Library Breezeway Tabling: These spaces can be reserved by faculty, staff and authorized representatives of S.A. chartered organizations, University-recognized student and Greek groups using the B There Room Scheduling System (https://bthere.binghamton.edu/). Contact mrcsm@binghamton.edu with any questions regarding reserving these spaces.
  • Memorial Courtyard: The Memorial Courtyard was designed to provide visitors with a peaceful place to remember, honor and celebrate the alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of Binghamton University. To schedule an event in the Memorial Courtyard, please contact Rebecca Hancock, coordinator of Donor Relations and Special Events, at rhancock@binghamton.edu at least one month prior to the event.
  • Old Champlain Hall Multi Purpose Room: Colleen Parks (cparks@binghamton.edu)
  • Outdoor Spaces (Peace Quad, Lois B. DeFleur Walkway, Library Fountain and Campus Perimeter): These spaces can be reserved by faculty, staff and authorized representatives of S.A. chartered organizations, University-recognized student and Greek groups using the B There Room Scheduling System (https://bthere.binghamton.edu/). Contact reserve@binghamton.edu with any questions regarding reserving these spaces.
  • Residential Life Spaces: Ryan Roosa (rroosa@binghamton.edu)
  • University Downtown Center Atrium: Monice DeGennaro (mdegenna@binghamton.edu)
  • University Union: These rooms can be reserved by faculty, staff and authorized representatives of S.A. chartered organizations, University-recognized student and Greek groups using the B There Room Scheduling System (https://bthere.binghamton.edu/). Contact reserve@binghamton.edu with any questions regarding reserving these spaces
  • West Gym and Fields: Ze Zeon (zezeon@binghamton.edu)
  • Zurack Center: Shana White (smwhite@binghamton.edu)

X.C. Secretarial Services

The Chancellor has issued guidelines concerning faculty use of secretaries based on an agreement by a committee representing CSEA and the University. For more information, see https://www.binghamton.edu/operations/policies/policy-622.html.

X.D. University Telephone Equipment and Services


X.E. Campus Mail Services


X.F. Discriminatory and Gender-Based Language

It is the University's policy (as it is of the State of New York and of the State University) to use nondiscriminatory language and to eliminate unnecessary or irrelevant gender-based distinctions in official publications. The Office of Communications and Marketing will implement this policy in all publications it produces. All offices preparing publications and documents for direct reproduction or printing are expected to comply with this policy. Additionally, faculty and staff should ensure that any documents they produce as employees of this institution are free of discriminatory and gender-based language. Further information is available from the Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and from the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

X.G. Use of Health Center

Faculty and staff members on duty may receive emergency treatment/first aid at the Decker Student Health Services Center. Faculty and staff are expected to consult their own physicians for medical advice and medication.

X.H. Use of Recreational Services

The Department of Campus Recreational Services offers a multifaceted program that is designed to encourage positive lifestyle choices and promote lifelong learning through both wellness and physical activity for Binghamton University students, faculty and staff. More information on program offerings, the registration process, and faculty and staff fees is available by calling 607-777-PLAY(7529) or online at http://play.binghamton.edu.

The Recreation Center at the East Gym houses a 10,000 square foot fitness center, FitSpace, a five-lane indoor swimming pool, basketball, volleyball and badminton courts, three multipurpose rooms, a Wellness Suite, an Outdoor Pursuits rental center and locker rooms. Faculty and staff have access to check in to the Recreation Center on Mondays-Fridays from 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for morning and lunchtime open recreation activities only. All other access requires membership.

Open Recreation programming provides unstructured activities and drop-in hours for basketball, volleyball, badminton, pickleball, swimming, disc golf, tennis, walking/jogging, racquetball and squash. No advanced registration is needed for outdoor activities such as disc golf, tennis and walking/jogging on the track, or to use the outdoor exercise area, FitCourt. These activities are designed to meet the overall needs and interests of the university community for informal recreation. Schedules vary and are posted online.

The Fitness and Wellness area offers a variety of programming for the University community. The FitSpace fitness center has 65 cardio machines, over 70 strength training stations, a functional training area and room for stretching.  Group Fitness offers members a variety of different classes a week, including yoga, Zumba, spinning and Les Mills BodyPump. The Wellness Services Suite provides clientele with the opportunity to work one-on-one with a personal trainer and registered dietician or relax and get a massage. Specialty Wellness classes foster mind and body wellness through seminars, activities and workshops which cover a diverse range of topics.

In support of the University-wide B-Healthy initiative, Campus Recreation has developed the Health and Wellness Incentive Reimbursement Pilot Program. This pilot program will allow eligible faculty and staff to apply for a 50 percent reimbursement of their FitSpace fitness membership after completing a set number of exercise sessions. Learn more about B-Healthy and the fitness reimbursement pilot program at https://www.binghamton.edu/bhealthy/

Intramural Sports programming offers competitive and recreational athletic activities within a variety of individual and team sports. Individual sports have included tennis, racquetball, billiards and table tennis. Team sports have included flag football, basketball, volleyball, indoor & outdoor soccer, softball, dodgeball, kickball, bowling and arena flag football. 

Outdoor Pursuits programming provides wellness-based outdoor adventure programs that highlight environmental awareness and personal challenge in a dynamic and positive setting. Outdoor Pursuits leads non-credit recreational trips and programs in a variety of activities including hiking, backpacking, bicycling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing, and kayaking. Outdoor Pursuits also offers a challenge ropes course program that provides groups and individuals with a high-impact opportunity to learn about risk-taking, leadership, personal perceived limits and performance under pressure, as well as to give and receive support from others.

X.I. Motor Vehicle Registration and Parking


X.J. Lost and Found Property

New York State University Police has primary responsibility for lost and found property, and has implemented a detailed procedure regarding it. The finder of lost property of $10 or more in value, and all cash, eyeglasses, wallets and purses, checkbooks, and items with an identifiable owner, is required to return the property to the owner or to report such findings and deposit such property in University Police (AD-G35). (Also refer to Management Procedure 805, https://www.binghamton.edu/operations/policies/policy-805.html).

X.K. Non-Credit Instructional Activities and Administrative Requirements

Non-credit continuing education offerings of the University embrace a wide variety of programs, resources, and services. Offerings designated as non-credit instructional activities include any formally organized and scheduled course, workshop, seminar, conference, institute, short course, or personal development program involving instruction. 

The registration of enrollees in non-credit instructional activities is required for reporting purposes. Student records must be maintained by the sponsoring unit. 

Non-credit instructional programs may be co-sponsored by a community organization if a school, college, or administrative unit of the University also serves as a sponsor.

Lectures, artist series, theater productions, mass media programs, and other activities that normally do not involve active discussions or analysis on the part of the audience are generally reported as cultural and educational programs. The approval procedures applicable to non-credit instructional activities normally do not apply to these activities unless they are part of a formally organized non-credit instructional activity.

X.L. Educational Communications

The Educational Communications Center (https://www.binghamton.edu/clt/ecc/) provides instructional support through the design, installation and maintenance of instructional technologies in the classrooms and across campus.  Additionally, the center exists to produce and distribute general instructional aids, appropriate training on devices, and basic instructional design for leveraging related equipment.  The center also provides facilities, equipment and personnel in the creation and distribution of Distance Learning/Rich Media materials for online consumption.

X.M. Questionnaires and Surveys

Questionnaires and surveys concerning information and statistics about the University must be channeled through the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA), which will ensure that the appropriate offices respond and will undertake review of the questionnaires as necessary. Since many of these questionnaires must be forwarded to the central staff in Albany for official submission by the State University, accuracy is essential. The purpose of this procedure is to avoid both inconsistencies in general University statistics and conflicting statements from different units within the total University. OIRA also provides assistance in designing and administering surveys to University students, faculty and staff for a variety of planning and assessment purposes.

OIRA produces official statistics about the university (student headcounts, majors, faculty, credit hours, retention/graduation rates, etc.) on its website, https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/oir/index.html. If you do not find the data you need, you can log a data request by clicking the "Data Request Form" menu option on OIRA's home page. OIRA also produces ad-hoc analyses and reports addressing a variety of issues related to University planning and effectiveness.

X.N. Visiting Speakers


X.O. Guidelines for Sponsoring Campus Events


Requests for non-credit use of any University facility by a non-University organization or a University organization sponsoring a conference or event must be made to the appropriate endorsing department or administrative office, e.g. sports camps to Athletics, onstage performing arts to Anderson Center, etc.

Scheduling of Events

In order to ensure appropriate scheduling of facilities and the observance of regulations concerning use and financial responsibility requirements, all requests for external organization use of University facilities must be submitted to the endorsing department based on the following schedule:

  1. Meetings, information tables, etc. - At least four (4) weeks prior, but no sooner than six (6) weeks prior to the event.
  2. Conferences (not involving dormitory facilities), tournaments, seminars, athletic events, workshops, etc. - At least eight (8) weeks prior, but no sooner than six (6) months prior to the event.
  3. Annual University conferences or conferences involving dormitory facilities - At least three (3) months prior, but no sooner than twelve (12) months prior to the event.

All requests for reservations more than twelve (12) months prior to the event shall be subject to approval by the Campus Events Coordinating Committee. Requests for use of facilities made after the minimum deadlines may be accepted by the University if workload allows.

Priority of Scheduling

  1. Official University use of all facilities shall have first priority.
  2. Requests for use of facilities for official purposes by Binghamton University affiliated groups, SUNY Central administration and New York State government agencies will be given approval over other non-University organizations.
  3. Once a commitment for facility usage has been made to a non-University organization, the organization will not be cancelled or displaced other than as provided for in the paragraph on cancellation (see below). 


Requests should be made on forms or in other approved correspondence provided by the endorsing department and should contain all necessary information including but not limited to:

  1. name and function of the group;
  2. name of individual responsible for the event;
  3. purpose of the meeting;
  4. preferred meeting date;
  5. University facilities (rooms, spaces, parking, etc.), food service, electronic media equipment, personnel required and other special needs;
  6. budget and sources of funds;
  7. number of attendees;
  8. liability statement, including certificate of insurance with declarations page naming the State of New York, State University of New York and Binghamton University as additional insured.


  1. All requests will be reviewed by the endorsing department for conformity with State University regulations and Binghamton University policy, including the following conditions:
    • Eligibility of the group;
    • Consistency of the purposes of the event with the general objectives of the University;
    • Filing and executing the necessary documents.
  2. Both the reserving organization and the purpose of the proposed event will be subject to approval by the endorsing department as being compatible with these guidelines. When a clear determination of eligibility cannot be made, the request will be forwarded to the Campus Events Coordinating Committee for a final determination.


Reserving organizations and facility managers will be notified by the endorsing department of the determination of eligibility and available dates. Scheduling and detailed service request arrangements will be the responsibility of the endorsing department.


Binghamton University reserves the right to cancel any prior facility use authorization for extraordinary circumstances such as, but not limited to, those involving consideration of public health, welfare and safety. In addition, any individual or group of individuals who fail to comply with the University regulations, any special regulation which may apply to a particular facility or these guidelines may suffer cancellation of the facility use authorization and also may be denied any subsequent authorization. A fully executed revocable permit must be in effect prior to the event.


All information and promotional materials prepared by a reserving organization in conjunction with an event scheduled on the campus must state who the sponsoring group is and must not in any way imply sponsorship by Binghamton University unless specifically approved by the University. Prior approval of the material may be required by the University. Public advertisements for non-University organization activities are subject to approval by the conference coordinator as the University president's designee.


  1. Faculty or staff requests - The proposed use of space by faculty or staff for non-credit use will be subject to endorsement by the appropriate academic department chair, administrative office or other officially recognized University unit. The endorsing department is responsible for all damages, losses, or unrecovered expenses incurred during or as a result of the activity.
  2. Student or student group requests - The proposed use of space by students and student groups will be subject to endorsement by an organization recognized by the student government and must meet criteria established by the administrator of the spaces utilized and this policy.
  3. Non-university groups
    • The proposed use of space by non-University groups is subject to approval.
    • Individuals with room or building responsibility responding to personal or telephone inquiries concerning the type of facilities and/or services available should not convey any impression that a commitment of facilities or services has been or will be made.


It shall be understood and agreed to by a requesting individual or organization that said individual or organization shall be solely responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, rules, orders, regulations, codes, and requirements of federal, state and local governments. In addition, the individual or organization shall indemnify and hold harmless the State University of New York, the State of New York, and Binghamton University from and against any damage, fine, judgment, expense or charge suffered, imposed, assessed or incurred for any violation or occasion by any act, neglect, or omission of the organization, its servants, employees, or agents.

In the event of any damage or injury to the equipment or facilities provided by the University under these guidelines caused by the negligence or improper conduct of the individual or organization, its agents or employees, the individual or organization shall cause the said damage or injury to be repaired or remedied as speedily as possible at its own cost and expense. Notwithstanding the above, if any loss is the result of negligence on the part of the University, the individual or organization shall be released of its responsibility for replacement of lost or damaged equipment or facilities.

Financial Arrangements

  1. Billing - The endorsing department will be responsible for billing appropriate users for utilization of University facilities.
  2. Food service - All required food service will be provided by the Binghamton University Dining Services. The organization requesting food service shall be financially liable for the number of meals and food requested, and shall guarantee to have guests appear for food service promptly as scheduled. A guaranteed number of guests may be required for each meal. Additional costs incurred by the University Dining Service due to failure to meet these arrangements shall be paid by the reserving organization.
  3. Insurance - Non-University organizations must carry adequate insurance covering their interests as well as naming the State University of New York, New York State, and Binghamton University as an “additional named insured" for the dates University facilities are to be used, and with limits as determined by SUNY policy.

More information is available, here

X.P. Guidelines for Sponsoring Campus Events Requiring Extraordinary Security

From time to time campus organizations sponsor events that generate a great deal of controversy within the community. These situations often require special attention, not only from the sponsor, but from the University, since these programs may create an environment that may threaten the safety of those attending and/or involved.

Please contact University Police at 607-777-2393.

X.R. Child Protection Policy


X.S. Title IX

Title IX became federal law on June 23, 1972.  It prohibits sex discrimination in any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.   In addition to equal opportunity in athletics, Title IX supports students who may be victims of harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault.  Title IX also protects pregnant and parenting students.

The Title IX Coordinator is available to take reports of incidents of harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault, as well as any concern related to Title IX compliance.

Faculty and staff members who become aware of incidents of dating violence, domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault have an obligation to report them to the Title IX Office unless they are specifically designated confidential. More information about reporting obligations can be found here. The Title IX Coordinator is also available to present trainings to faculty and staff members who may be interested in learning more about Title IX, University processes, legal requirements, reporting process and/or responding to disclosures. The Title IX Coordinator can be reached at abaker@binghamton.edu or 607-777-2486.