General Education Assessment
Faculty Senate Policies
General Education at Binghamton University is assessed according to the legislation of the Faculty Senate. For the most recent revision approved by the Faculty Senate, please see the Policy on the assessment of General Education and procedures for assessment of General Education. Revisions approved by the Faculty Senate on May 6, 2014. (PDF)
Learning Outcomes for General Education
Course Portfolio Assessment
The core of General Education assessment is the periodic collection of course portfolios, a process facilitated by the Provost's Office.
Portfolios for the Spring 2018 semester will be due Friday, May 18, 2018.
If you will need additional time to complete your course portfolio, please contact Liz Abate, Senior Assistant for Undergraduate Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-777-2146.
A template for the General Education Learning Outcomes Assessment Report is available in Microsoft Word format.
The following reports have been prepared by the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, based on a review of the submitted course portfolios:
- A - Aesthetics, Fall 2016
- C - Composition, Fall 2015
- Report: http://www.binghamton.edu/academics/provost/documents/ge-assessment-c-fall-2015.pdf
- Video of "Teaching General Education C Courses" presentation, March 31, 2017: https://binghamton.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=9dc3c46c-f251-4096-a964-1a2009bdbfb2. NOTE: After clicking the event recording link, you will need to hover over the video and click the Maximize Video button in the upper right-hand corner to enlarge the recording.
- FL1, FL2, FL3 - Foreign Language, Fall 2015
- H - Humanities, Fall 2016
- G - Global Interdependencies, Spring 2015
- L - Laboratory Science, Fall 2015
- N - Social Science
- O - Oral Communication, Spring 2015
- Report: http://www.binghamton.edu/academics/provost/documents/ge-assessment-o-spring-2015.pdf
- Video of "Teaching General Education O Courses" presentation, February 17, 2017: https://binghamtonu.webex.com/binghamtonu/ldr.php?RCID=4a9ea04fe49fb65562184b551bb93bf8. NOTE: After clicking the event recording link, you will need to hover over the video and click the Maximize Video button in the upper right-hand corner to enlarge the recording.
Following is a schedule indicating the categories for which course portfolios will be collected in upcoming academic years:
Portfolios have been submitted for the following categories; reports based on these
portfolios are in process.
Pluralism in the U.S.