Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching
Nature of the Program
The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching recognizes consistently superior teaching at the graduate, undergraduate, or professional level in keeping with the State University's commitment to providing its students with instruction of the highest quality.
For More Information
For complete details about the Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching, please visit the following website: http://system.suny.edu/academic-affairs/faculty-staff-awards/excellence-in-adjunct-teaching/.
The primary criterion is skill in teaching.
Teaching Techniques and Representative Materials
There must be positive evidence that the candidate performs superbly in educational
environments. The nominee must maintain instructional policies that adapt readily
to student needs, interests and problems. Mastery of teaching techniques must be demonstrated
Candidates' evaluations of students' work must be strongly supported by evidence. When available, student evaluations (in the form of student questionnaires administered and compiled by persons other than the nominee) may provide a clear idea of the nominee's effectiveness in teaching.
Additional consideration, as appropriate, may be given to:
- Outstanding support for the intellectual growth of individual students;
- Demonstrated use of relevant contemporary data from their discipline(s) in their teaching. Evidence may be scholarly and/or widely recognized experience in the field;
- Number of students per course; and
- Different teaching techniques employed.
- Nominees must be Adjunct Faculty as generally defined by the specific SUNY institution. Individuals serving in full-time professional or academic positions at a SUNY institution are not eligible for this award;
- Nominees must have taught, over the proceeding five years, a total number of courses equivalent to one-half of a three-year full-time teaching load in the appropriate department;
- Nominees may also serve in adjunct roles at other educational institutions; and
- Nominees must be employed by the nominating campus at the time of the nomination.
Please use the checklist of required documents to compile the nomination packet. Click here for the nomination checklist.
Nomination dossiers should be submitted to the Dean's Office of the nominee's school no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2017. A list of names of nominees must be submitted by the Dean's Offices to Allie Dugan in the Provost's Office no later than Friday, September 29, 2017. Completed nomination dossiers must be submitted electronically by the Deans' Offices no later than Friday, October 13, 2017, to the Office of the Provost at firstname.lastname@example.org.