By Steve Seepersaud
August 2, 2018
You know fall is one of the best times of year in Binghamton. Fall is one of the best times of year in Binghamton. There's the indescribable energy that's only felt during the fall in Binghamton, the weather is crisp and the trees come alive with fall colors. This alone should get you to come back for Homecoming, but there's so much more.
Here are just a few of the highlights on our very busy Homecoming schedule:
- 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5 – Homecoming Happy Hour: Stop by with your friends to have a drink and check out our collection of Binghamton University memorabilia. We'll head onto the patio to enjoy the fall evening together. Thanks to the generosity of Anita Borkenstein '86 and Randall Borkenstein '87, you can get a live-screened Binghamton T-shirt made by Muckles Ink, an alumni-owned business.
- 7 p.m. – Friday, Oct. 5 - Black Pearl: Treasure of Hidden Glory - The Black Student Union's 50th Anniversary Fashion Show and Banquet: This event will be a celebration of our culture and heritage, and will be the reclamation of the voyage on the Middle Passage.
- 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 – TIER Talks® presented by M&T Bank: In what is certain to be a stimulating session, alumni experts will discuss the crisis surrounding climate change. The talk will focus on the impact growing cities have on global warming, how the effects are felt far beyond large cities and how the crisis is communicated to the public. Speakers will be: Amy Hyatt ’78, U.S. ambassador to Palau; Tasfia Nayem ’14, formerly a climate change communicator for the federal Environmental Protection Agency; and Seth Schultz ’01, special advisor on science and innovation to the Global Covenant of Mayors..
- 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 – Tailgate '18: If you attend only one gathering all weekend, this should be it! (We hope you’ll attend others too, but you get the idea.) At this main Homecoming Weekend event, thousands of people will turn the Events Center lots into a virtual sea of green. Pack up your grills and be part of our annual tailgate or enjoy food served by your Alumni Association and other campus partners
- 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 – EOP 50th Anniversary Banquet: Someone Dreamed You Here: This special milestone celebration will honor EOP alumni, advocates and administrators who oversaw the pathway and guided thousands of students toward their degree attainment and professional advancement. Taris Rodney '08, Esq., agency attorney II with the New York City Administration for Children's Services, and Alumni Association board member, will deliver the keynote address.
- 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6 – Bing Brews and Bands: When Saturday’s campus events wrap up, the party isn't over. You enjoyed hanging out downtown with friends during your time as a student and, as alumni, you still enjoy it. Stop by some of the newest establishments in the city and enjoy microbrews and music by local bands.
See the full schedule of events! If you pre-register for Homecoming then check in at the Alumni Center,
we'll have free Binghamton gear for you.