Regional chapter spotlight
By Steve Seepersaud
The Boston Chapter's April 25 event was historic in its own way. It was President Harvey Stenger's first alumni event in New England, the gathering drew the chapter's largest turnout to date and it was held at Boston's historic Algonquin Club.
More than 50 alumni had the opportunity to meet one another and hear about the latest campus developments from Stenger. Algonquin Club member Terence M. Keane, MA '76, PhD '79, ScD '11, hosted the reception (at left of photo above with Rose Zimering, MA '80, PhD '84, Stenger and Peter van Amson '85, MS '87).
"My training as a clinical psychologist at Binghamton opened many doors for me," said Keane, associate chief of staff for research and development with the VA Boston Healthcare System. "I’m deeply grateful for the many aspects of my education and training that prepared me to compete nationally and internationally in my field. Consequently, I want to give back to the University so that it can provide this generation of students even more than I was given. It’s the right thing to do."
Guests were excited to learn about the University's many growth opportunities such as the recent opening of the Southern Tier High Technology Incubator in downtown Binghamton, and the future Health Sciences Campus in Johnson City that will house the pharmacy and nursing schools.
"Hearing the growth and success of our University reinvigorated the pride that we feel as Binghamton alumni, and we look forward to future alumni being able to benefit from the resources available," said Pooja Raju Shankar '06, chapter leader.
The Boston Chapter had a volunteer project April 28 at Community Servings in Jamaica Plain as part of the Alumni Global Day of Service, and is planning summer events such as a cooking class and family picnic. Shankar says the success of the Algonquin Club event puts the chapter in good position to further build and strengthen the region's Binghamton alumni network.
"This reception brought together alumni of all generations and those who wanted to learn more about the activity on campus," she said. "Many alumni were thrilled to see familiar faces they have not seen in decades. We had new alumni relocate to the area and this is the first event that they attended. Former chapter leaders were also in attendance — which provided opportunities to share ways to create alumni engagement in the Boston area."
"What struck me personally about the event was how much I really liked every single person I met: those who graduated before I did and those who graduated last year," Keane said. "It really was a blast and I’m pleased that I played a small part in bringing this community together."
See more photos from this event at our Shutterfly site.
WANT TO MAKE SOME MEANINGFUL CONNECTIONS? DON'T MISS THESE UPCOMING ALUMNI EVENTS:
- Saturday, June 3 - A Cappella in the Park 2017 (Metro New York): All alumni, current students and new students are welcome! See Binghamton's a cappella groups perform live, then spend the night with us on the town at The Australian. Register now.
- Sunday, June 4 - Rumble Ponies Day at the Ballpark (Greater Binghamton): Join us for a day of baseball with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at the newly renovated NYSEG Stadium! Enjoy the game and an all-you-can-eat picnic after the game starts, including water, soda and beer. Bring your family and friends! Kids can enjoy the new jumper zone at no additional cost. Register now.
- Thursday, June 8 - Asian and Asian American Alumni Council Networking Reception (Metro New York): This informal gathering is organized to bring together students and alumni who share an interest in supporting the Asian and Asian American community. It is a great opportunity to meet fellow Binghamton alumni and students, expand your personal and professional network, and tour the museum. Register now.
- Thursday, June 8 - Summer Kickoff (Chicago): Kick off another beautiful Chicago summer with fellow Bearcats at the Boleo Rooftop Bar, one of the city's coolest venues. Register now.
- Tuesday, June 13 - Alumni Gathering at Woodbury Country Club (Metro New York): President Harvey Stenger will be in attendance and he'll share the exciting developments taking place on campus and within the Greater Binghamton community. Meet other alumni in the area and feel #BingPride while hearing how our University is growing in both size and reputation. There will be plenty of time to talk with other attendees and enjoy the beautiful outdoor patio area (weather-permitting). Register now.
- Thursday, June 15 - Potluck Picnic (Rochester): Enjoy spiedies – a Binghamton favorite – while connecting with friends and welcoming new alumni to the Rochester Chapter. Register now.
- Thursday, June 15 - Summer Happy Hour and New Alumni Welcome (D.C. Metro): Get the summer started off on a positive note by hanging out with fellow alumni and enjoying conversation and quality German brews. Register now.
- Thursday, June 22 - Cruise into Summer Celebration (Metro New York): You won't want to miss this great event that will showcase views of iconic landmarks including the Brooklyn Bridge, Freedom Tower, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and many others. Registration will include the three-hour cruise, a full dinner buffet and an open bar featuring beer, wine, mixed drinks and a variety of non-alcoholic beverages. Register now.
B-CONNECTED with other graduates! B-connected is a secure virtual community only for Binghamton University alumni. Update your personal profile, search for alumni, and submit and read Class Notes.
SHARE YOUR EXPERTISE WITH US! The Alumni Relations Office is asked to recommend alumni who are expert speakers. If you are well-versed in subjects including national security, politics, technology, career networking, environmental studies or etiquette, contact Melinda Holicky, associate director for alumni volunteer engagement. Include your name, class year and a brief biography. Supporting material could include a CV or link to your website.
SHOW YOUR PRIDE! The Binghamton University Bookstore is your one-stop shop for apparel, accessories and home decor goods.