Monthly resources from our B-Healthy Agent Emails!
Happy Valentine's Day
Here are your February B-Healthy Resources
- Heart Disease in Women (AHA)
- Cardiovascular Health Guide (AHA)
- 10 President's Day Crafts (PatCatan)
- 18 Outdoor Winter Activities (MoneyCrashers)
- Calories Burned During Winter Activities (CalorieLab)
- Health Benefits from Friendships (Mayo Clinic)
- How Your Social Life Can Help You Live Longer (TedTalk)
- 10 Ways Exercise Can Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease (ACE)
- Facts About Heart Disease (CDC, PDF)
- Keeping Your Heart Healthy (IHS, PDF)
- Heart-Health Valentine's Day Tips (AHA)
- Why Healthy Snacking is Important (SFGate)
- Healthy Snacks to Make at Home (ACE)
- 55 Creative and Healthy Snack Recipes (Delish)
HAppy new year!
Here are your January B-Healthy Resources
- 21 Resolutions You'll Want to Keep (health.com)
- Tips to Keeping Your Resolutions (Rochester Review, PDF)
- Tips and Resources for Living Well (HHHealth, PDF)
- Benefits of Decluttering (US News)
- How to Keep a Tidy Desk (Huffington Post)
- Unclutter Your Desk (Cleaning Inst., PDF)
- Checklist for Happiness and Productivity (Homey Homey Club, PDF)
- The Happy Secret to Better Work (Ted Talk)
- 10 Ways to Find Happiness (Oprah.com)
- Five Tips for Boosting Body Image (ACE)
- Healthy Eating for Healthy Weight (CDC)
- Tips for Managing Your Weight (AHA, PDF)
- Calculate Your BMI (NIH)
- Quotes About Confidence (bustle.com)
- Free Compliments For Your Coworkers (Pinterest, PDF)
Here are your December B-Healthy Resources.
- Facts about World AIDS Day (worldaidsday.org)
- #LetsEndIt Campaign Posters (worldaidsday.org, PDF)
- USDA Apple Facts
- Healthy Apple Recipe (ACE)
- An Apple a Day (Chelan Fresh, PDF)
- Exotic Fruits and Veggies (University of Kentucky, PDF)
- Types of Root Veggies (K-State, PDF)
- Importance of Fruits and Veggies (Harvard)
- Resources and Facts on Drunk and Drugged Driving (youth.gov)
- NY Drunk Driving Facts (CDC, PDF)
- Drugged Driving Facts (NIH, PDF)
- Binghamton AOD Services
- 5 Ways to De-Stress (Harvard)
- 30 Quick Ways to De-Stress (Pintrest, PDF)
- Tips for Healthy Holiday Eating (UCLA, PDF)
- Healthy Eating Guide (Including Recipes!) (AHA)
Here are your November B-Healthy Resources.
- How to Manage Stress (ACE)
- Coping With Stress (Cornell, PDF)
- 101 Ways to Cope With Stress (EWU, PDF)
- Become a Random Act of Kindness Activist (RAK)
- Five Ways to Celebrate (HuffPost)
- 100 Random Acts of Kindness (CND Foundation, PDF)
- History of the Great American Smokeout (ACS)
- Tips for Quitting (NIH, PDF)
- Binghamton's Tobacco Free Initiative
- Take your Workout off the Beaten Path (ACE)
- Ten Reasons Hiking is Good for You (livestrong.com)
- Hiking 101 Handout (Pinterest)
- Nature Preserve Trail Map (PDF)
- Hiking in Broome County (CNY Hiking)
- 10 Tips for a Thinner Thanksgiving (WebMD)
- Staying Fit on Thanksgiving (health.com)
- Tips for Feasting on Turkey Day (Altru.org, Printable)
- Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes (eatingwell.com)
- Yogurt Parfait Recipes (eatingwell.com)
- Tips to Keep your Parfait Healthy (livestrong.com)
Here are your October B-Healthy Resources.
- You Are What You Eat: Food Chart (NIH, PDF)
- Recipe Cards (WSU, PDF)
- NYS Harvest Calendar (ny.gov, PDF)
- Positive Thinking Can Reduce Stress (mayoclinic.org)
- Positive Quote For the Office (JPG)
- Power of Positive Thinking (TEDx)
- Why Walk or Bike? (walkbiketoschool.org)
- Have a Walking Meeting (ACE)
- 6 Ways to Add Walking to Your Day (ACE)
- Join Steps-to-BHealthy (BU)
- Mental Health Facts (mentalhealth.gov)
- Tips for Work Life Balance (MHA)
- Mental Health in the Workplace (WHO)
- Mental Health Printable: Take Charge of Your Mental Health (NAMII)
- 5 Tips for Workplace Wellness (clevelandclinic.org, PDF)
- Health In Our Youth (ACS, PDF)
- BU Health Education (BU)
Here are your September B-Healthy Resources.
- Top 10 Reasons to Eat More Fruits and Veggies (pbh)
- Take the Pledge (pbh)
- Healthy Eating Tips (ACE, PDF)
- Yoga Health Benefits (ACE, PDF)
- 10 Minute Foundational Yoga Routine (ACE)
- Yoga For Your Kids (UAEX, PDF)
- Ovarian Cancer Facts (OCA)
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Printable (NOCC)
- Prostate Cancer Facts (PCF)
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Printable (cancer.org)
- Encouraging Coworkers Can Help Relieve Stress (Forbes)
- Motivational Quotes For the Workplace (officevibe.com)
- Tips For a Fun Routine (foodandhealth.com)
- Ideas For Indoor Physical Activity (AAHPERD, PDF)
- Youth Fitness Video (ACE)
- Short Guided Meditations (UCLA)
- Relaxation Techniques (BDI, PDF)
- Relax With a New Book (businessinsider.com)
Here are your April B-Healthy resources.
- Lady Gaga and Prince William discuss mental wellness
- Mental health and exercise: when is it too much? (MHA)
- 31 ways for 31 days! How to work on your wellness (MHA)
- Break up with your "risky business" (MHA)
- Fill the void (MHA)
- Healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes
- BU Bike Share
- Reasons to Ride (Bikeleague.org)
- Bicycle commuting growth by state (Bikeleague.org)
- Smart Cycling tips (Bikeleague.org)
- Smart Cycling videos (Bikeleague.org)
- Bike laws for New York (Bikeleague.org)
- FREE easy lunch recipe book (EatingWell)
- Understanding PTSD and PTSD treatment (PTSD.va.gov)
Get ready for the 11th annual health fair!
Here are your March B-Healthy resources.
- See what's on the menu (Plus1 Wellness Meals)
- Science-backed reasons to read (Huffington Post)
- How to read a nutrition label (FDA)
- Portion sizes are getting a reality check (FDA)
- Sleep Fit Facts (ACE)
- "Inside Your Bedroom" (National Sleep Foundation)
- Try this sleep diary (National Sleep Foundation)
- 4 alternatives to morning coffee (ACE)
- Pre diabetes handout (ADA)
- Are you at risk for Type 2 diabetes? (ADA)
Our vision board contest winner is...
Kirsten Rowe! Congratulations and thanks for submitting.
Here are your February B-Healthy resources.
- How to improve your self love (Huffington Post)
- "Have Faith in Heart" (AHA)
- Six ways to make a friend (Psychology Today)
- Robert Waldinger's TedX Talk (TED)
- "Reflections on True Friendship" (NY Times)
- Take the kindness quiz (randomacts.org)
- Suggested servings from each food group (AHA)
- "Added sugar is not so sweet!" (AHA)
- "Eat Smart" recipes (AHA)
- Exercise Mind and Body (AHA)
January kicks off an awesome year-to-come!
Here are your January B-Healthy resources.
- 50 resolutions and how to achieve each of them (ACE)
- Fitness investments that really pay off (ACE)
- Health trends you'll see in 2017 (ACE)
- A S.M.A.R.T guide to goal setting (ACE)
- Register for Campus Rec Personal Training Services!
- Professor Bryant's experience with CR's Personal Training Services
- Reasons vision boards work and how to make one (Huffington Post)
- The amazing power of giving a compliment (P&G)
- Learn more about the Binghamton University JC Mentor Program
December loves to celebrate with friends and family - but always has a designated driver!
Here are your December B-Healthy resources.
- Guide to healthy holiday eating
- Gift ideas that are thoughtful AND won't break the bank
- Drugged driving by the numbers (MADD)
- Safe party tips (MADD)
- Understanding BAC (NHTSA)
- When and how to wash your hands (CDC)
- Miriam Sidibe's TED Talk on hand washing as cost-effective disease prevention
- What is HIV/AIDS? (AIDS.gov)
- 10 things you can do to commemorate World Aids Day (CDC)
- Seth Berkley's TED Talk addressing the importance of vaccinations
November combats stress, discourages tobacco products, raises awareness for diabetes in America AND still finds time to be thankful.
Here are your November B-Healthy resources.
- Healthy Thanksgiving tips
- Stress facts (ISMA)
- How to identify stress (ISMA)
- Free downloads from the International Stress Management Association (printable PDFs)
- Diabetes month fact sheet (American Diabetes Association)
- Diabetes statistics (American Diabetes Association)
- Diabetes myths debunked (American Diabetes Association)
- Tobacco-related cancers fact sheet (ACS)
- Quit like a champion: your body after smoking (ACS)
- Benefits of quitting over time (ACS)
October stands up to bullies, promotes family togetherness and dresses up for Halloween!
Here are your October B-Healthy resources.
- A decade together against bullying (PDF)
- Daily/weekly themes and events (Stomp Out Bullying)
- Unity Day (PACER)
- Eat better, eat together (printable PDFs)
- Reasons to eat together (PSU)
- Easy family-favorite recipes (picky-eater approved!) (Food Network)
- 5 habits that will improve your emotional wellness (Huffington Post)
- The path to mental health begins with knowledge (printable educational brochures by DBSA)
- Depression education toolkit (Cornell)
September stands up to cancer, promotes family fitness and encourages personal wellness
Here are your September B-Healthy resources.
- Cancer prevention tips (SU2C)
- Driving Cancer research forward (SU2C)
- AACR Undergraduate Student Caucus and Poster Competition (AACR)
- What is Family Health and Fitness Day? (Fitness Day)
- Encouraging Family Health and Fitness (PBS)
- Activities for kids at your local park (PBS)
- Youth Fitness: Cool Down and Stretch (ACE)
- Building a better breakfast (PDF)
- 34 Healthy Breakfasts for Busy Mornings (Greatist)
- What ACE Pros are Eating for Breakfast (ACE Fitness)
- 4 Things to Try for Self Improvement Month (Homedics)
- Three Powerful Ways to Motivate Yourself (ACE)
- The Key to Success: Consistent Action (ACE)
- Benefits of Exercise on Mental Health (ACE)
- 42 Ways to Improve Yourself (Lifehack)
- Know the Warning Signs of Suicide (NAMI)
- Take the stigma-free pledge (NAMI)
- Mental Illness by the Numbers (NAMI)
- Mental Health Printable PDFs (NAMI)
National Walking Day and Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Plus another BingPing
Here are your April B-Healthy resources.
- Walking for your health
- How to burn more calories walking
- Walking the road to fitness and health
- Choosing the right sneakers
- Four weeks of healthy living tips
- Sexual assault statistics
- What is sexual violence?
- Prevention is possible
- TedTalk: Callisto
National Nutrition Month, Red Zone, the 10th Annual Health Fair plus another Bing Ping
Here are your next batch of B-Healthy resources. We didn't get some of them out to you last month, but the topics are so important there's no reason they should only be our focus one month of the year!
- Black History Month
- 10th Annual Health Fair
- The Benefits of Snacking
- The U.S. Snack Obsession
- Healthy Snack Ideas
- RedZone Pipe Dream Article
- National Day of Unplugging
- TedTalk: Feel Like the World is Becoming Less Friendly?
De-stress December, AIDS awareness, plus another BingPing!
As we strive to create and sustain a welcoming and respectful campus for all persons, regardless of identity, it’s important to stay informed of the conversation and the resources for our students, faculty and staff.
- Letter from University Leadership
- Letter from the SA E-Board
- Letter from Provost Neiman
- Diversity fellows benefit Binghamton
- Reporting for faculty and staff / Reporting for students / Reporting with the UPD
- Drunk Driving Statistics
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- TedTalk: Ramona Pierson discusses the affects of drunk driving
- World AIDS Day
- What everyone should know about HIV
Giving thanks and National Diabetes month, plus another BingPing
We'd like to take a moment to express how thankful we are for you. It is because of your participation as an agent and care for your colleagues that we are able to move the Healthy Campus Initiative forward.
- Wounds You Can't See
- TedTalk: Remember to say thank you
- Diabetes Fact Sheet
- Diabetes in the US
- Benefits of Compassion
Positive Attitude and Breast Cancer Awareness month, plus another BingPing
If you’re still figuring out the best way to share documents and information with your department or area, here’s one idea:
- Schedule a day and time each week to share a resource — for example, each Monday morning you can put a resource in everyone’s mailbox, or send an e-mail with a document or link.
There’s no right or wrong way to get the information out there!
- TedTalk: Happiness and Human Potential
- Exercise benefits the brain
- Decrease workplace stress
- Decrease daily stress
- Breast Cancer Awareness by the numbers
- Test your Breast Cancer IQ
- National Mammography Day - what you need to know
- Our favorite fall foods
We've made the Greatist list, Self-Improvement Month, $10 off Wellness Services, and more free fitness classes each month
It's the start of a new semester Healthy Campus Agents!
Here's your next installment of B-Healthy resources to share will your colleagues. We will always include a number of items in each e-mail including: posters to hang, reproducible handouts to give to your members and links to items that can be sent via e-mail. The options are endless.
Men's Health and National Outdoors month, Steps-to-BHealthy success and free fitness classes every week
Summer may be a great time to think about how you can take a more active Agent role in your area this coming year. Each of our monthly mailings will contain highlights on current health/wellness topics, as well as information on upcoming programs. We will always include a number of items in each e-mail including: posters to hang, reproducible handouts to give to your members and links to items that can be sent via e-mail. The options are endless.
- Printable checklist for men's health
- Men's health facts
- Link between nature and well-being
- Guide to being tick-free
National Bike month, 95 flags at Commencement, free fitness classes every week and more
- Get started cycling
- Consumer Reports helmet guide
- National Stroke Association effects of a stroke
- National Stroke Association risks and prevention
National nutrition month, National Walking Day, a free UCTD class and more