20 Events Hosted by Greek Life Organizations at Binghamton That Help Give Back
Posted by Junior Rachel Fisher on May 10, 2016
Being in a sorority has not only allowed me to make friends and memories that will last a lifetime, but it has also given me the first-hand experience of understanding the importance of an organization coming together to give back to those in need. Greek Life may only be about 13 percent of the student population, but when we all come together to fundraise and give back, our impact is profound and powerful on the Binghamton University campus and beyond.
As co-chair of Alpha Epsilon Phi's Mr. Greek God Competition, I learned the ins and outs of planning and organizing a philanthropy event. After seeing the success of our event and how supportive the rest of the Greek Life community was in making our event so great, I became curious as to what other fraternities and sororities did to give back to their causes. After interviewing representatives from some of the different organizations, I've learned that as great as each organization is on their own, they're even that much better when multiple organizations come together. Let's see what events each organization hosts and how the rest of the Greek Life community supports them!
Mr. Greek God Competition and Phi Hoops
Mr. Greek God Competition
- One representative from each fraternity trains for months to participate in what is, essentially, a male “beauty pageant.” The winner is determined based both on his performance in the actual competition as well as on his fundraising efforts conducted up to the day of the event.
- Each year the event raises at least $20,000 for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation and Sharsheret.
- A basketball tournament is held, composed of fraternity teams that fundraise a lot of money to participate. The money is then donated to the Variety Learning Child Center
Sponsors: Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Epsilon Phi's events would not be possible without the support of the rest of the Greek Life community. It's with their help, participation and donations that AEPHI is able to host such incredible events and donate such large amounts of money to their philanthropies each year.
- A brother (this year a cancer survivor) sits in a rocking chair for 48 hours straight.
- The event features Miss New York, news stations and a guest rocking chair for all sponsors.
- Raised over $12,000 this year to help fight cancer
Sponsors: Alpha Epsilon Pi
"For this year's Rock-a-Thon event, eight groups from Greek Life sponsored AEPI's event. Each organization came at various points to be in the guest rocking chair and helped gather donations for the cause. We appreciate all of their help!" -- Aaron Jiji, brother of Alpha Epsilon Pi
Dodging for Donations and Date Auction
Dodging for Donations
- Dodgeball tournament held in the Mandela Room that is open to everyone on campus
- Raises funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Participants perform a skit and audience members bid on them
Sponsors: Delta Phi Epsilon
Proceeds donated to: The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and The Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
"This year, 15 Greek Life organizations attended and participanted in our Date Auction. Each Greek Life organization also helped raise donations for the event, and without their help this event would not have been possible." -- Lauren Filler, Delta Phi Epsilon Co-Philanthropy Chair
Phi Football and Bonnamu
- Charity flag football competition where about 10 teams of eight compete against each other
- Talent show/music competition in which acts sang, dance and show off their musical talent
Sponsors: Phi Mu
Proceeds donated to: Chidren's Miracle Network Hospital
"The rest of the Greek Life community is very encouraging and helpful when it comes to running these events. We had a lot of participation from other sororities and fraternities for our Phi Football event, and we appreciated it so much!" -- Samara Rynecki, Phi Mu Secretary
Phinding Love and Spelling Bee
- A spinoff of a 70's dating game show, where a bachelor or bachelorette asks three mystery bachelors or bachelorettes questions to see who is the best match is. The bachelor or bachelorette then picks his or her favorite person and the two win a prize to go on a date together
- Run like a traditional spelling bee but with a more "college-level" word list
- Participants compete until there is a first, second and third place winner
Sponsors: Phi Sigma Sigma
"The Greek Life community supports Phi Sigma Sigma with these events by participating and attending. Ticket sales are the bulk of the money made for donations, so high attendance by different organizations allows us to make as much as we can to support our philanthropies." -- Jennifer Mason, Phi Sigma Sigma Philanthropy Chair
Letters to Santathon and Fireman's Challenge
Letters to Santathon
- Greek organizations, club teams, and many other student groups write letters to help kids in need get their wishes granted. Macy's donates $2 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for every letter writen to Santa.
- While students write letters, there are raffles, holiday music, performances, cookies and hot chocolate
- Last semester this event raised over $40,000 for Make-A-Wish.
- PIKE partners with the Binghamton Fire Department to put on the Fireman's Challenge. Teams of ten compete in events related to firefighting, such as a truck pull, a smoke search and a hose haul, in a carnival-like atmosphere in the Events Center parking lot.
- This event supports the Clark Burn Center, which is a special burn unit affiliated with Upstate University Medical Center in Syracuse.
Sponors: Pi Kappa Alpha
"For all of PIKE's events, fraternities and sororities from every council come out in large numbers to have a good time for a good cause. When Greeks come together for a common cause, it shows the entire Campus Community how much good students can do for the world, and demonstrates why Greek students are leaders at Binghamton." -- Michael Kotowski, Pi Kappa Alpha President
Light Up a Life: BU Chanukah Toy Drive
Light Up a Life: BU Chanukah Toy Drive (Co-sponsored with Sigma Delta Tau)
- Hundreds of toys are donated and money is raised help children who are battling illness.
- Raises awareness about the work that the New York Chai Lifeline Organization does.
- This past year, over $16,000 was raised and over 150 toys were collected
Sponsors: Sigma Alpha Epsilon
"The Greek community is an instrumental part in helping us execute our philanthropy events and maximizing our success. I believe it is imperative that organizations cross-collaborate with each other, because we are ultimately one team. And the team that works together, achieves the most success, which is why the Greek community here at Binghamton is consistently successful in executing their individual chapter philanthropy events." -- David Ostern, Sigma Alpha Epsilon President
- Different groups dress up in recyclable materials and model them down a runway.
- The funds they raise at this event are donated to philanthropies
Sponors: Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi
"SAEPI appreciates all sorority and fraternity involvement with our events. In addition, the other Greek Life organizations are great at sending people to our events and helping to publicize them!" -- Whitney Davis, sister of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi
Charity Kickball Tournament and Planting a Pinwheel Garden
Charity kickball tournament
- Held every year in the fall for anyone that wants to particiapte
- Raises funds for Prevent Child Abuse America
Planting a Pinwheel Garden
- In the spring, Sigma Delta Tau sells pinwheels and plants a beautiful pinwheel garden to raise awareness of their causes.
- The money earned is donated to their philanthropies
- Sponors: Sigma Delta Tau
"The rest of the Greek Life community is key in helping SDT benefit our wonderful organizations. Many Greek groups donate, co-sponsor and attend our events. Without the major support of Binghamton’s Greek community, our programs wouldn't be possible!" -- Sadie Biale, Sigma Delta Tau Co-Philanthropy Chair
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and Pancakes for Humanity
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
- Brothers and members from four other fraternities and sororities, while wearing bright pink heels, walk a mile loop around campus to raise awareness about sexual assault, gender violence and domestic violence.
Pancakes for Humanity
- Brothers provide and cook pancakes, served all-you-can-eat for only $3.
Sponsors: Tau Alpha Upsilon
"The rest of the Greek Life community provides great support for these events. Other Greek organizations consistently take part in our events by either donating money to the cause, having members come out and support, or helping table and promote for the events." -- Ryan Mirchin, Tau Alpha Upsilon President
Car Smash and Non-Perishable Goods Drive
- Every year during Spring Fling, people are given the opportunity to smash a junkyard car with a hammer, allowing them to relieve any stress they may be carrying.
Non-Perishable Goods Drive for Johnson City Middle School students
- Raised approximately $300 this year; and they plan on going to Wal-Mart and buying cans of food in bulk so that underprivileged kids in the area can receive proper nutrition.
Sponsors: Tau Epsilon Phi
"The rest of the Greek Life community helps support TEP's events by word of mouth. It’s extremely easy to tell your friends to “go stop by our table” when they have the chance. Also, social media is a wonderful thing. After we share our GoFundme pages on Facebook, other people from different Greek Life organizations become notified and share it, too. There are sponsorship packages that Greek Life organizations can purchase. If another organization donates a specific amount of money, they’ll be featured on the event's sponsored list. This helps everyone because it improves our relationship with the organization, and the amount of money donated to help those less fortunate increases." -- Harrison Karp, Tau Epsilon Phi Philanthropy Chair
Bowling for Troops and Shack-a-Thon
Bowling for Troops
- Will engage the entire Binghamton community, and will be a fun and competitive way to say thank you to our servicemen and women
- Help build homes for those in need through a partnership with Habitat for Humanity
Sponsors: Theta Chi
"Binghamton University is fortunate to have a cooperative and supportive Greek Life community. Theta Chi is part of the Interfraternity Council (IFC). Meetings take place each week to discuss ongoing progress and reports of 18 other chapters. Here, Theta Chi mentions their philanthropy events that are upcoming or in-the-works and organizations offer to help out/tag-team events to lighten the load and strengthen Greek Life relationships. They are all there to help build each other up and assist in anyway possible." -- Zach Schleier, brother of Theta Chi
These are just some of the amazing events the Greek Life community hosts to help those in need! If your organization sponors any other extraordinary events, e-mail us at email@example.com to be featured!
Rachel Fisher is a junior majoring in psychology from Hewlett, N.Y. Rachel works for Undergraduate Admissions as a campus tour guide and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi. She's looking to pursue a career in marketing/communications and event planning.
Have questions, comments or concerns about the blog? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.