Campus Recreation's Aquatics program offers lap swimming, recreational swimming, family swim, aquatic fitness classes, swim lessons and personalized aquatic training. The indoor pool at the Recreation Center has five lanes and is 25 yards long with depths ranging from 4 to 14 feet.
Students with a valid Binghamton University ID have access to the East Gym pool during open swim times and do not need a fitness membership to swim. Reservations are required. Day use lockers are available in the men's and women's locker room.
Lap swim offers five lanes (slow, medium, fast) for swimming laps. All swimmers must stay to the right and swim in a circular pattern within the lane when sharing the lanes with others (see illustration below).
Please note: Faculty and staff have access to the East Gym weekdays for morning and noon lap swims (check in by 12:30 p.m.). A Fitness Membership or Rec Only Membership is required for late afternoon, evening or weekend swims (including family swim hours).
Learn how to exercise effectively in the pool with an individual aquatic fitness session. Experience why aquatic fitness is different — water resistance and buoyancy add an extra challenge to your fitness routine!
Updates relative to COVID-19
- Swim lessons, recreational swim and family swim are unavailable for the fall 2020 semester.
- Mask or face coverings should be worn in the locker rooms and on the pool deck, only to be removed when swimming.
- After each 30 minute time slot, swimmers must exit the pool immediately in order for lifeguards to clean and sanitize the area/equipment. This includes swimmers who have registered for two 30-minute time slots in a row. Swimmers will not be allowed to remain in the pool while the lifeguard is cleaning.
- Swimmers will not be able to sign up for more than two 30-minute time slots per day. Any additional time slots past the maximum will be removed.
- Circle swimming (see above) is required. For more information regarding circle swimming, the lifeguard is able to answer any questions.