- Recreational Trails of Broome and Tioga Counties - Great resource for day hikes, parks and state forests located in the Souther Tier.
- Finger Lakes Trail - Explore the Pennsylvania-New York state border. Resource to help plan either a day hike or backpacking trip.
- Ithaca, Syracuse, & the Finger Lakes Region Hiking - Gives descriptions and ratings of trails and parks, useful for both day hikes and backpacking trips.
- Central New York Orienteering - Learn about Orienteering in central New York State.
- Triple Cities Hiking Club - Our local hiking club is very active and offers hikes every weekend throughout the region.
- NY State Forests - List of all state forests by region. Click on Region 7 for hiking opportunities within a 2 hour drive of BU.
Car Camping (drive in and pitch a tent)
- New York State Dept. of Parks, Recreation & Historical Preservation - Official site for NY state parks. Great for finding places to day hike and car camp. Click on Central Region for areas 20 minutes - 3 hours driving time from BU.
- NYS DEC campgrounds - List of campgrounds in the Adirondacks and Catskills.
- Chenango Valley State Park - Popular car camping destination 20 minutes from Binghamton University with 216 campsites and 24 cabins.
Backpacking (ruffin' it)
- Adirondack Mountain Backcountry Guide - Gives High Peaks trail conditions, rules and regulations, trip planning advice and much more.
- The Long Trail - Hike the entire length of the state of Vermont, or enjoy some weekend trips. Detailed information provided by the Green Mountain Club.
- Appalachian Trail - Everything you need to know about hiking the AT, whether you are going for 3 months or for a weekend get-away.
- Catskills Mountain Club - Where to backpack in the Catskills, trip ideas, weather resources, photos and much more.
- North Country Trail Association -Includes maps and conditions for this 4,600 mile long trail.
- Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association - A nonprofit organization where hikers can share their experiences and knowledge.
- Rails To Trails - Allows you to find rail trails throughout North America.
- Southern Tier Bicycle Club - A recreational cycling club for the Southern Tier, offers group rides.
- Road Rides of the Southern Tier - Great resource for finding local cycling routes.
- Wallkill Valley Rail Trail - A 12.2 miles rail trail located in New Paltz New York.
Canoeing & Kayaking
- Ahwaga Canoe Club - A social canoe and kayak club located in the Twin Tiers region of New York and Pennsylvania state.
- American Canoe Association - Dedicated to helping people enjoy the outdoors using kayaks, canoes, and rafts since 1880.
- American Whitewater - Find local paddling clubs and see what rivers are running.
- Maine Island Kayak Company - Offers kayaking trips and courses.
- City of Little Falls - The official website of the City of Little Falls outlines the local climbing scene.
- A Climbing Guide to Moss Island - This is a great source for the Little Falls climbing area which covers everything from geology to route access.
- Rockclimbing.com - Find all the routes for every type of climbing under the sun on this page. Also, see the forums and articles for information on gear reviews and techniques.
- Climbing Access Fund - The Access Fund is the national advocacy organization that keeps U.S. climbing areas open and conserves the climbing environment. Founded in 1990, the Access Fund supports and represents over 1.6 million climbers nationwide in all forms of climbing: rock, ice, mountaineering, and bouldering.
- The Gunks - Find out more about guides, events, hiking and climbing in the Shawangunks of New York.
Cross Country & Telemark Skiing
- Cross Country Skiing in Upstate New York - Search for cross country skiing trails by region.
- Cross Country Ski Areas Association - Find ski areas, get trail conditions and learn about ski and snowshoe equipment.
- New England Nordic Ski Association - Official site for NENSA, great resource for finding nordic races and results.
- Nordic Skiing in New York State - Find nordic ski trails in New York State.
- Osceola Tug Hill X-Country Ski Center - Features 35km of groomed and tracked trails, located in Camden NY.
- xcskiworld.com - A great resource and overall guide of the nordic world.
- Greek Peak Nordic Center - Cross country skiing and snowshoe trails right down the road from Greek Peak.
- Audubon New York - Official site for the Audubon society of New York State.
- Broome County Department of Parks & Recreation - Lists and describes parks close to home.
- Binghamton University Nature Preserve- Official site of the BU nature preserve. Includes photos, maps, events and more.
- National Park Service - A great resource for finding national parks throughout the country.
- Pennsylvania State Parks - A detailed listing of all state parks in Pennsylvania.
- The Waterman Center - Is dedicated to increasing environmental awareness and outdoor recreation.
- Cayuga Nature Center - Discover ways to explore the wonders of the natural world first hand.
Wilderness Medical Training
- NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute - The National Outdoor Leadership School offers many courses in wilderness medicine and emergency response.
- Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities - A school dedicated to teaching Wilderness and Emergency Medicine.
- Wilderness Medical Society - Informs its members and the public about preventing, recognizing, and treating medical problems encountered in wilderness situations.
- Wilderness Medical Associates - Offers practical, expert training in wilderness and rescue medicine.
Other Outdoor Organizations
- Adirondack Mountain Club
- American Mountain Guides Association
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Colgate Univeristy Outdoor Education
- Cornell Outdoor Education
- New York / Pennsylvania Hydrologic Information
- National Outdoor Leadership School
- Outdoor Industry Association
- The Outdoor Network
- Wilderness Education Association
- New York State Outdoor Education Association