Search Target

For an Emergency:

From campus phones, dial 911.
From cell phones, call Binghamton University Police at 607-777-2393.

If a student is causing a disruption but does not pose a threat:

  • Ensure your safety in the environment. Use a calm, non-confrontational approach.
  • Set limits by explaining how the behavior is inappropriate.
  • If disruptive behavior persists, inform the student that disciplinary action may occur.
  • If the behavior escalates and you believe there is a safety risk, contact University Police at 607-777-2393 and report the incident.
  • For a consultation about a coordinated campus response, contact a member of the Student of Concern Committee at 607-777-2804.

Four Levels of Case Management Services

Binghamton University is committed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all, and meeting the various needs of our students on levels. One way we do this in through case management. Case management offers four levels of intervention for faculty, staff, students, and other concerns parties:

  • Consultation
  • Case Management
  • Students of Concern Committee
  • Threat Assessment Team

Phone Numbers

University Police 607-777-2393
The CARE Team 607-777-2804
Harpur's Ferry 607-777-3333
Offices of the Dean of Students: 607-777-2804

University Counseling Center 607-777-2772
Decker Student Health Services 607-777-2221
Office of Student Conduct 607-777-6210
Services for Students with Disabilities 607-777-2686
Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator 607-777-3062
International Students and Scholar Services 607-777-2510
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) 607-777-6655
Residential Life Main Office 607-777-2321
University Ombudsman 607-777-2388
Compliance Hotline 607-777-5049

Interpreter Services:
International Student and Scholar Services 607-777-2510
American Civic Association 607-723-9419

For LGBT Resources:
LGBTQ Center

Assisting students of concern

The Offices of the Dean of Students can assist by:

  • Helping to centralize information about students of concern; if the individual causes a problem in a classroom, chances are he/she is having problems in other places on campus
  • Providing advice about how to approach a student of concern; we work with many academic and Student Affairs offices that will provide assistance to you and the student
  • Coordinating disciplinary action and/or mental health assistance for the student in question if there is a need

Things to Consider as a Private Resource

  • Information should only be shared on a "need to know" basis
  • Be familiar with your job/office responsibilities and reporting guidelines
  • While it is important to respect the wishes of a student who has been assaulted as much as possible, you should never promise that you "won't tell anyone"—it may be a part of your job responsibility to report any knowledge of a crime
  • If you must report the assault to a supervisor or other campus office, you should disclose that information to the student and offer to set up a meeting with the student and person/office that you need to report to
  • For sexual assaults it is possible to make reports to UPD without including the name(s) of the student (s) involved

Providing help for students of concern

If you suspect you are dealing with a distressed or disruptive student, we recommend taking action at the first sign of a problem. Our end goal, of course, is to allow for the learning process to continue.

Signs to help identify a distressed student:

  • The once organized, timely and cooperative student does not seem to be that way now.
  • The student may be unusually quiet or absent.
  • The student may not communicate (doesn't talk or do assignments as needed, or appropriately).
  • The student's demeanor or appearance may change.
  • The student may be angry, belligerent or disorganized; we always recommend that behavior be addressed first and these students should be confronted regarding their behavior.
  • The student may be quietly distressed – perhaps depressed or forlorn; these students may take longer to notice than angry, belligerent or disorganized students.

Note: Allow the student to disclose what is distressing him/her. If others have information, the Office of the Dean of Students can help collect the information, as appropriate, in a case conference format.

Signs to help identify a disruptive student:

  • The student writes outrageously violent stories and doesn't want constructive – or any – feedback.
  • The student interrupts and curses at random times, but does not want to talk to the professor.
  • The student intimidates the professor and others.
  • The student stalks another person

Distressed students may be irritable, sad, unduly anxious, withdrawn, confused, lacking motivation or concentration, seeking unnecessary attention, or demonstrating bizarre, erratic or concerning behaviors including references to harming self or others.

Disruptive students interfere with a learning environment by behaving in a manner that is reckless, disorderly, paranoid, aggressive, defiant, destructive and/or threatening.

Guidelines for Responding to Students of Concern

Safety First: The welfare of the student and the campus community is our top priority when a student displays threatening or potentially violent behavior. Coordinated professional help and follow-up care are our most effective means of preventing suicide and violence.

Trust your instincts: If you experience significant unease about a student, seek consultation from your department chair, supervisor, the Students of Concern Committee or Health and Counseling Services. Promptly report safety concerns and student conduct code violations.

Listen sensitively and carefully: Vulnerable students need to be seen, heard and helped. Many students will have difficulty clearly articulating their distress. Do not be afraid to ask students directly if they have thoughts of harming themselves or others.

Be proactive: Engage students early on, setting limits on disruptive or self destructive behavior. You can remind students verbally or in writing (e.g., in the class syllabus) of standards and expectations for campus/class conduct, and of possible consequences for disruptive behavior. Refer to the Code of Student Conduct and emphasize respect and care in supporting a campus of inclusion.

De-escalate and support: Distressed students can be sensitive and easily provoked, so avoid threatening, humiliating, or intimidating statements. Help students connect with the University resources needed to achieve stabilization. Both the Students of Concern Committee and the University Counseling Center provide individual consultations regarding de-escalation, support, and referral for student services.

Participation in a coordinated and timely response: Share information and consult with appropriate University personnel to coordinate care for the student. Safeguard the student's privacy rights. Always report serious or persistent inappropriate behavior to the Dean of Students or the Students of Concern Committee as soon as possible. Misconduct may be formally addressed through the Office of Student Conduct process, and additional campus resources may be necessary to help reduce or eliminate the student's disruptive behaviors.

The Office of Student Conduct

The mission of the Office of Student Conduct is to support the mission of both the University and the Division of Student Affairs. Specifically, the Office of Stu-dent Conduct seeks to work collaboratively with other departments to create a safe, secure and civil environment where learning, growth and development can take place both inside and outside of the classroom.

For more information about the Office of Student Conduct and the Code of Student Conduct, visit

Case Management

The CARE Team provides support, advice, and help finding the appropriate resources to address issue(s) that students face.

Contact the case manager if you know a student who is:

  • behaving in a way that concerns you
  • experiencing difficulty beyond their ability to cope
  • missing
  • experiencing a family emergency or death of a family member


phone: 607-777-2804

Interpersonal Violence Program

The goal of IVP is to reduce instances and the traumatic impact of interpersonal violence through education, coordination and linking students with information and resources. The program provides private, student-centered services to support and assist survivors and/or their support networks.

The IVP program provides private, comprehensive victim-centered services to Binghamton University students, living on and off campus, who have questions about or have experienced interpersonal violence. The services are available to provide support and assistance to the assault survivor and/or their friends, parents, and family members. The IVP Advocate is here to answer questions, provide information, serve as an advocate by helping students access and navigate university and community resources and accompany students as they pursue their options, if requested.


phone: 607-777-2804

What about FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) permits communication about a student of concern if there is a health or safety concern and sharing knowledge is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or others.

Information can be shared with other University personnel if there is a "need to know."

Observations made about a student's conduct or statements made by the student are not educational records and are not protected by FERPA. Such information should be shared with appropriate entities (e.g. the Students of Concern Committee) if there is a legitimate health and safety concern.

Off-Campus Resources

Crime Victims Assistance Center:
607-722-4256 (24/7)

RISE Comprehensive Domestic Violence Services- (Greater Binghamton area):
607-754-4340 (Open 24/7)

New Hope Center (Owego area):
607-687-6866 (Open 24/7)

Family Planning of the Southern Tier:
607-723-8306 (hours vary)

Lourdes Hospital
169 Riverside Drive, Binghamton
Lourdes Primary Care and Walk-in Centers, Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
(X-rays available at all locations)
415 East Main St., Endicott 607-785-2460
276-280 Robinson St., Binghamton 607-771-7234
310 Shippers Rd., Vestal 607-251-2180
500 5th St., Owego 607-687-1122
Laboratory Services
169 Riverside Dr., Binghamton 607-798-5216
(Mon-Fri 6:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.; Sat/Sun 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.) 26 South Washington St., Binghamton 607-798-5723 (Mon-Sat 7 a.m.-1 p.m.)

UHS Binghamton General Hospital UHS Wilson Medical Center
10-42 Mitchell Ave., Binghamton 607-762-2200
33-57 Harrison St., Johnson City 607-763-6000
UHS Primary Care and Walk-in Centers Open 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.
91 Chenango Bridge Rd. Binghamton 607-648-4151
1320 E. Main St., Endicott 607-754-2323
4417 Vestal Pkwy E., Vestal 607-770-7365

Additional Resources

CPEP Hotline (24-hour access) 607-762-2302
CPEP Crisis Center 607-762-2231
UHS Outpatient Mental Health Clinic 607-762-2340
UHS New Horizons Addiction Treatment 607-762-3232
UHS Nurse Direct Physician Referral 607-763-5555

Last Updated: 2/28/20