Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students
Disaster Cycle Services (DCS) is one of the five lines of service within the American Red Cross. DCS responds to an emergency every 8 minutes. From small house fires to multi-state natural disasters, members of the DCS team go where needed to provide safe shelter, hot meals, and care and compassion to people in need. DCS consists of three core processes – Prepare, Respond and Recover – and five pillar processes – Engage Volunteers and Employees; Information Management and Situational Awareness; Deploy Material, Workers, and Technology; Align with Government; and Mobilize the Community. The internship is an unpaid development experience for mission-focused students enrolled in a degree program.
Red Cross interns are involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our organization, gaining perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission, as well as service delivery at the local and national levels. This internship is for students who want to help develop plans for effective service delivery.
- Learn about the Red Cross mission, values, programs and services;
- Learn about the Red Cross Disaster Cycle Services which responds to over 65,000 Disasters annually;
- Become familiar with the Red Cross Preparedness programs and how community preparedness affects the response and recovery phases of the Disaster Cycle;
- Become familiar with the Red Cross Disaster Response and Recovery programs, specifically how our organization meets the immediate disaster-caused needs of individuals, families and communities;
- Help identify, develop and organize new partnership opportunities with businesses, organizations, schools and others to achieve established preparedness and readiness goals;
- Attend staff meetings to learn about the Red Cross programs and factors that influence decisions;
- Be exposed to, interact with and communicate with diverse populations and provide appropriate service(s) to them;
- Help gather and organize pertinent data for reports and meetings;
- Assist with general office and administrative work related to Disaster Cycle Services.