Jan 7 – 10, 2019
Binghamton in the City offers students the opportunity to engage with industry professionals through a variety of activities during the week. You will meet with alumni and industry leaders living and working in New York City.
The New York City Employer Visits are open to all students interested in exploring a variety of careers and industries. Designed for networking and career education, the Site Visits offer exposure to select career paths, industry trends, and organizational cultures. These visits also highlight industry expectations and give you a chance to expand your network. Metro Connections Night offers students an opportunity to network with nearly 140 alumni in various industries in one location.
How to Register for Employer Visits
You must complete and update your hireBING profile prior to registering for any employer visits. Registration opens Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018.
- Login to hireBING
- On the top of the page, click "Jobs"
- Search for "NYC Employer Visits" in left side keyword box
- Click on "NYC Employer Visits"
- The list of Employer Site Visits will appear as Jobs on this screen
- Click on the name of the visit you wish to find more information about or apply to
- Click on green "Apply Now" button at the top right of the page Note: If you do not meet the employer qualifications, you will receive an alert that informs you that you do not, however your application will still go through.
Attend any one of the following information sessions. Please note the various locations of the information sessions.
Wednesday, Oct 24, Noon – Watson Commons
Thursday, Oct. 25, Noon – SOM Lounge
Thursday, Oct. 25, 7 p.m. – C4
Friday, Oct. 26, Noon – UU-209
Monday, Oct. 29, 1:15 p.m. – Harpur Edge (limited space)
Monday, Oct. 29, 5:30 p.m. – UU-120
Tuesday, Oct. 30, Noon – UU-209
Tuesday, Oct. 30, 7 p.m. – UU-120
Wednesday, Oct. 31, Noon – UU-215
Thursday, Nov. 1, Noon – UU-209
Thursday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m. – UU-120
Friday, Nov. 2, Noon – UU-215
Friday, Nov. 2, 2:30 p.m. - Hillside Commons
Immediately – Update resume
Sunday, Nov. 4 – Registration opens
Sunday, Nov. 18 – Registration closes
Tuesday, Nov. 20 – Individual confirmation of employer site visits emailed
Sunday, Dec. 9 – Deadline to cancel
Jan. 7-10 – Employer Site Visits
Tuesday, Jan. 8 – Metro Connections Night
- Do's and Don'ts During Your Employer Visits
- Take notes
- Display enthusiasm and appreciation
- Write down names of the professionals
- Dress professionally - Suits Only
- Bring your resume and portfolio - you may or may not hand it out but best to be prepared
- Research the firm you are attending
- Prepare well thought out questions
- Give yourself enough travel time (buses, trains are unreliable)
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to the visit
- Meet the group in the lobby
- Bring your photo ID
- Write down the address and cross streets
- Stand out and make the most of these opportunities
- Ask for contact information if the opportunity arises, we do not provide contact information unless the hosts states you can get it from us
- Give yourself at least an hour between visits to travel to the next one
- Leave the visit with the entire group
- IMPORTANT - Check your hireBING profile to make sure it is accurate. Your hireBING profile will shift and it may not be accurate. You can manually change it.
- Use professional etiquette at all times
- Wait until the end to ask a question
- Wait until the end to engage with professionals
- Be late
- Be distracting in any manner (play on your phone, fall sleep, etc.)
- Go up to the visit without a staff member
- Ask for a job and or internship - unless they discuss open positions during the visit
- You may ask the type of skills and or qualifications they look for in a candidate, or what makes someone successful at this company
- Stay longer than the allotted time. Professionals need to get back to work and we do not want to overstay our welcome
- Sign up for two conflicting visits at the same time on the same day. You need to manage your own schedule