The Annual CEMERS Workshop Lecture Series and Calendar of Events: Spring 2019
Wednesday, February 27, 4:00 p.m. in LN 1106
- Tarek Shamma, Associate Professor of Comparative Literature, Binghamton University
- "Universal Wisdom, Islamic Law: Translation Discourse in Classical Arabic"
Thursday March 7, 6:15 p.m. in FA 258
Barbara Gold, Edward North Professor, Classics and Greek Literature, Emerita, Hamilton College
"Perpetua: Athlete of God"
Friday, March 8
- Bus Trip to New York City
- Visit the Cloisters and the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Wednesday, March 13, 5:00 p.m. in FA 143
- Co-sponsored with the Department of Art History
- Alicia Wilcox Walker, Associate Professor, Department of History of Art, Bryn Mawr
- "Erotic Images, Christian Eyes: Seeing with the Body and Soul in Byzantium"
Wednesday, March 27, 3:00 p.m. in LN 1106
- Co-sponsored by the Department of Romance Languages
- Eliza Zingesser, Assistant Professor of French and Romance Philology, Columbia University
- " Stolen Song: Domesticating Troubadour Lyric in Medieval France"
Wednesday, April 3, 7:30 p.m. in Casadesus Recital Hall FA 117
Friday, April 5, 7:30 p.m., University Downtown Center Atrium
Co-sponsored with the Departments of Music and Romance Languages
Two evenings with the Italian Early Music Ensemble
Aria di Follia
"The Theme of Madness in Baroque Music"
Thursday, April 11, 3:00 p.m. in LN 1106
Co-sponsored by the Departments of History and AAAS
C. Pierce Salguero, Associate Professor of Asian History and Religious Studies, Penn State Abingdon
"Translating Buddhist Medicine in Medieval China"
Wednesday, April 24, 3:00 p.m. in LN 1106
- John Kuhn, Assistant Professor of English, Binghamton University
- "The Global Hammock: An Indigenous Textile in the Early Modern World"