Eligibility for the REU
A set of criteria have been established by the National Science Foundation to select students for the REU program, however undergraduates from all areas of science and engineering are eligible for the program. We encourage participation of students from small colleges and groups that are underrepresented in science and engineering including women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
The initial application requirements for undergraduate students are as follows:
- Current undergraduates who have completed 60 hours of coursework
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- U.S citizens or permanent residents
- Students who graduate prior to the summer are not eligible
How to Apply
- Prepare one-page resume in PDF format showing work and/or research experience
- Copy of academic transcript in PDF format
- Prepare personal statement describing your career goals and research interests.
- Describe how participating in our summer research program will further your goals and your motivations for pursuing this experience (3,000 character max)
- Information for people who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation (Title,
Employer, Email, Phone)
Once above materials have been collected and prepared, students should open and complete the Application Google Form. The Google Form cannot be saved and only one submission will be accepted so be sure to have all above materials prepared prior to filling out application.
Eight to ten students will be selected, and each will receive:
- $5,000 stipend
- Dormitory housing, if needed
- Travel subsidy to and from Binghamton, up to $450
- On-campus supplemental meal allowance, up to $500
- Application window: TBD
- Notification of acceptance: TBD
- Arrival in Binghamton: May 24, 2020
- First day of program: May 26, 2020
- Last day of program: July 31, 2020