The Summer Youth Musical Theater Workshop
The Summer Youth Musical Theater Workshop has touched the lives of hundreds of youth in Broome and Tioga Counties since its inception in 1998. The three-week program for students ages 12 through 18 enriches their lives through participation in an artistic process of the highest integrity.
Directed and produced by outstanding professionals with notable accomplishments in acting, directing, and music, the workshop provides opportunities for artistic growth, self-expression, education, and teamwork by exposing participants to all aspects of a musical theater production.
Held at Binghamton University's state-of-the-art Fine Arts facility, the program will culminate with four live performances of the musical Anything Goes, open to the public, in the Anderson Center, Watters Theater. Auditions are held prior to the start of the Workshop.
Our Commuter Program is a 3 week Workshop running from Sunday, July 20 through Sunday, August 10, 2014. You have a choice of Morning (9am - 1pm) or Evening (6pm - 10pm) sessions as well as private voice lessons and additional optional classes offered each weekday afternoon. Voice lessons and additional optional classes are not included in the Commuter Program fee.
The Commuter Program gives the student the opportunity to perform in a live production of Anything Goes before a public audience, work with a team of teacher/specialists and explore the distinctive challenges of the musical theatre genre through survey work with songs, characterizations, vocal work and choreography.
Audition Requirements for Commuter Students
Auditions will be held on Sunday, June 1, 2014 from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm and on Monday, June 2, 2014 from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Bring to the audition:
Song excerpt and monologue, prepared and memorized, from among the choices that will be sent to you by May 1, 2014.
If you are unable to make the auditions in person, you may provide your audition material on DVD or VHS, as follows:
- Song excerpt and monologue, prepared and memorized, from among the choices that will be sent to you by May 1, 2014. Must include piano accompaniment of audition music.
- Include additional musical theater selection of your choice. Must include piano accompaniment of audition music.
- If you have dance experience, include a one-minute sample of movement or dance representative of skill level (include pirouettes, jumps and any type of acrobatic movements).
- Record audition performances on a standard full-size VHS tape or standard DVD-r.
- Label the recording with your name and the words "Musical Theater Workshop" (due by May 15, 2014).
Commuter Program Registration and Tuition - $425.00
- A deposit of $100 is required to hold your registration and audition. The second payment of $175 is due by June 17, 2014, and the final payment of $150 is due by July 16, 2014.
- Full refunds will be made for cancellations by June 16, 2014. Cancellation after June 17, 2014, will forfeit $100 deposit. Persons who fail to cancel or attend forfeit the entire fee. If the program is cancelled due to insufficient enrollment, all persons are notified and all fees will be refunded in full.
Three-week intensive musical theater workshop. Choice of two sessions:
- Morning (9 a.m.-1 p.m.) or
- Evening (6-10 p.m.)
A fully staged production of Anything Goes in the Anderson Center, Watters Theater at Binghamton University (each session has its own production, culminating with two performances). Hands-on training with a professional stage manager.
New!! Come learn how to be an Assistant Stage Manager!
LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE!
Interviews scheduled upon registration.
Center for Innovative and Continuing Education
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
Registration is also available by fax (607) 777-6661 or by phone at (607) 777-2792
E-mail: email@example.com with any registration or program questions.