R. Kevin Lacey
Director, Arabic and Near Eastern Studies Program
Contact Information | Recent Publications | Current Projects | Other Activities | Courses Taught | Education
Office: LT 1108
- PhD, Harvard University, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
- MA, Harvard University, Middle Eastern Studies
- Certificate in Arabic Studies, The American University in Cairo
- BA, Government, Cornell University
- Writing Tangier (Peter Lang, 2009), co-edited with Ralph Coury.
- Journal for Middle Eastern and North African Intellectual and Cultural Studies (8 vols., 2002-2006), co-edited with Ralph Coury.
- The Arab-African and Islamic Worlds: Interdisciplinary Studies (Peter Lang, 2000), co-edited with Ralph M. Coury.
- Mirrors on the Maghrib: Critical Reflections on Paul and Jane Bowles and Other American Writers in Morocco (Caravan Press, 1996), co-edited with Francis Poole.
- "Western Movie Images of Arab-African North Africa: The Sheltering Sky and the Question of Orientalism."
- "Paul and Jane Bowles, the Beats, and North Africa: Aesthetic Creativity through Cultural Alienation."
- Days, Tangier Journal 1987-1989: The Text, The Context, and Closing the Circle on Paul Bowles's Impressions of Tangier."
- "An 11th Century Muslim’s Syncretistic Perspective of Cosmology: Abu al-‘Ala al-Ma‘arri's Philosophical-Poetic Reflections in Luzum Ma La Yalzam on the Make-up and Dynamic of the Universe."
- Man and Society in The Necessities of Abu al-‘Ala al-Ma‘arri (book).
- SUNY Binghamton Morocco Program (Director)
- SUNY Press manuscript reader; Peter Lang Publishing, Inc. manuscript reader
- NEH project evaluator
- State Dept. CLS (Critical Languages Scholarship) evaluator
- Arabic literature
- Arabic Literature in Translation
- Contemporary North African Arabic Literature
- Literary Classics of the Islamic World
- Western Media Representations of Arabs and Muslims
- Introduction to Islam
- Introduction to Islamic Thought