Frequently asked questions

Updated Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Frequently asked questions

These questions and answers have been developed to respond to feedback on Binghamton University's plan. This is a fluid process and the answers to the questions may change moving forward. We will continue to update, and time stamp, this page as new information becomes available and new questions arise.

Search for terms within our FAQ page. Enter a search term, hit search and responses will open and be highlighted. Scroll down to find the highlighted sections.


Vaccine and booster requirements

Effective immediately (April 12, 2023), Binghamton University, following guidance from the State University of New York, does not require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19.

International student vaccine/booster requirements

Effective immediately (April 12, 2023), Binghamton University, following guidance from the State University of New York, does not require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19.

Surveillance testing

Masks are still required in all healthcare settings, including Decker Student Health Services Center and the University Counseling Center.

  • Do unvaccinated faculty and staff still have to be tested? (Updated Jan. 11, 2023)

    As of Aug. 31, 2022, the Memorandums of Understanding with all bargaining units that required unvaccinated faculty and staff to test weekly have expired. 

    Since COVID testing is no longer required, faculty and staff no longer have the ability to test on campus and the Surveillance Testing Center closed, effective at 2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9, 2022. However, there are various locations for faculty and staff to pick up  free, at-home COVID tests. They can be found on the web.

    All faculty and staff who test positive for COVID should continue to contact Sara DeClemente-Hammoud in Human Resources at for guidance.

    Note that CDC guidance now indicates that individuals who are exposed to COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, no longer have to quarantine unless they are symptomatic.

  • What are the surveillance testing requirements for students exempted from vaccination? (Updated Sept. 8, 2022)

    The State University of New York (SUNY) has updated its COVID guidance.

    Students who have a campus-approved medical or religious exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations, and who have a regular presence on campus, are no longer required to undergo regular surveillance testing at the University’s Surveillance Testing Center.

    Therefore, the University’s surveillance testing site has closed.

    The University no longer offers courtesy surveillance testing to vaccinated students. Home test kits will be available on campus while supplies last.  

  • What should I do if I have COVID-19 symptoms? (Updated Sept. 8, 2022)

    If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, and you are a student, make an appointment for diagnostic testing with Decker Student Health Services Center via the patient portal. If you are a faculty/staff member, consult your healthcare provider.

Confirmation testing

  • If I test positive with a home test, do I need a second test? (Updated Sept. 8, 2022)

    If you test positive with a home test, you will be considered to have COVID-19. No further testing will change that designation. Since the Health Department is in charge of determining those who must isolate, Binghamton University does not have the ability to alter this requirement; therefore, no further testing will be done and you must isolate.

Diagnostic testing

Reporting positive results from a home test or an off-campus provider

  • If I live on campus do I have to report a positive test result from a home test kit or one received from a test administerd off campus to the University?

    Yes. Any residential student who tests positive for COVID-19 on a home test or on a test administered by a provider off campus must report their positive test to the University and enter isolation. To report an off-campus test result (e.g. a result from a test not administered at Decker Student Health Services Center), students must email Safe Housing at as soon as possible after receiving the positive result.

    The email must include your B-number, cell phone number and the date of your positive test.

    University staff will call you at the number you provided to follow up and discuss your isolation options as soon as possible. In the meantime, wear a mask, stay in your room and monitor your phone.

  • What do I do if I have a positive home test for COVID-19 while I am in Binghamton? (Updated Sept. 15, 2022)

    If you have a positive home COVID-19 test while you are in Binghamton, regardless of whether you live on or off campus:

    • Immediately put on a mask and avoid contact with other people.
    • Place your test device on a piece of paper.  On the paper, write your name, your date of birth, the date you performed the test and one of the following: the date your symptoms started or the fact that you are having no symptoms.
      • Upload a photo of the paper and test device to the patient portal using the "COVID Positive Test Results" function.
      • Place the test device in a sealed plastic bag in case a medical professional requests to see it.
    • Immediately report your positive test result to the Broome County Health Department using this short survey
  • Where can I find a home test kit?

    Home COVID-19 test kits are available for free for students, staff and faculty while supplies last at the following locations:

    • Information desk in the Tillman Lobby of The Union
      • Generally staffed during The Union's regular hours.
    • Security desk at the University Downtown Center
      • Staffed 24 hours/day
    • PB-110, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
      • Open regular business hours
    • University Police walk-up window, basement of the Couper Administration Building
      • Staffed 24 hours/day 

    Free at-home test kits are also available at the Broome County Health Department at 225 Front St., Binghamton. Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order a third round of free at-home tests. Order yours at Most insurance plans also cover free home tests at local pharmacies. Check with your insurance company for details.


  • Does the University have  isolation space?

    The University will have limited isolation housing on campus in the fall of 2022 for on-campus residing students who test positive for COVID-19.

    Should the need expand beyond available beds, students will be strongly encouraged to return home for their isolation period, or, if that is not possible, will be required to isolate in place where they reside on campus.

    On-campus residing students will be contacted by University staff to coordinate their isolation period.

  • What do I do if my roommate is isolating in place? (New Sept. 8, 2022)

    It is up to individual students to communicate their status to their roommates or suitemates, as the University cannot reveal private medical information. If you are uncomfortable staying in your room/suite with an isolating individual, activate your isolation plan, which may involve you moving to another space (a friend's room, a common area in your suite, with a friend off campus, etc.) while your roommate isolates.

  • How long is the typical isolation period?

    The typical isolation period lasts for 5 days.

  • How should I handle testing after I have been exposed?

    Current CDC guidance recommends that individuals who have had close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 should wear a well-fitting mask around others for 10 days from the date of their last close contact and get tested at least 5 days after exposure. Students who develop symptoms or who would like to get tested after exposure may request a test following the instructions on the diagnostic testing webpage.

  • What if I have questions or need support when I'm in  isolation?

    Students in isolation should contact DSHSC at 607-777-2221 for any medical issues. The University Counseling Center (607-777-2772) is available to assist with mental health concerns. You will also be provided with the contact information for the CARE team and MSW interns who can help, in addition to a number of other student support resources available on the Dean of Students Here to help web page

    In case of emergency, call University Police (607-777-2222).

Graduate students 



Parking and transportation