- BS, nursing, Binghamton University, 1993
- MS, family nursing, family nurse practitioner role, Binghamton University, 1997
- MPH, public health, epidemiology, University at Albany, 2007
- DrPH, public health, epidemiology, University at Albany, 2014
- Works as a nurse practitioner (part time) with the Broome County Health Department and the New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH) in Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Teaches advanced pathophysiology, advanced pharmacology and advanced diagnostics in the master's and DNP programs at the Decker School
- Oncology nursing
- Current clinical practice focuses on adult health, employee/occupational health and tuberculosis control
Yvonne Johnston chairs the Broome County Community Health Assessment Steering Committee and authored the Broome County Community Health Assessment in 2009 and 2013. She also served as a consultant for the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) program for the NYS Southern Tier and conducted the community needs assessment for the nine county region.
She possesses expertise in grant writing and statistical analysis, and has conducted local program evaluation for several Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) initiatives including Steps to a HealthierNY (2003-2008), Strategic Alliance for Health (2008-2011) and Sodium Reduction in Communities (2010-2013).
She is currently conducting program evaluation for two CDC initiatives: Creating Healthy Schools and Communities (2015-2020) and the Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths, & Injuries (STEADI) Program (2015-2016), as well as the Healthy Lifestyles Coalition funded by a community foundation grant. Her expertise in grant writing, population and community health, and evaluation of comprehensive, multifaceted approaches to chronic disease risk reduction has contributed significantly to the health and well-being of Broome County.
- Trustee, Foundation of New York State Nurses, Inc.
- Founding member, American Nurses Association-New York (ANA-NY)
- One of three ANA representatives to the Quad Council of Public Health Nursing Organizations
- Member, American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Zeta Iota Chapter)
- Member, Professional Nurses Association of South Central New York
- Chair, Broome County Community Health Assessment Steering Committee
- Committee member, NYS Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP)
- Committee member, NYS Population Health Improvement Project (PHIP)
- Committee member, Healthy Lifestyles Coalition
- Committee member, United Way Outcomes Evaluation