Dr. G. Clifford and Florence B. Decker Endowed Chair in Rural Nursing
The Decker chair in rural nursing was established by an endowment from the Dr. G. Clifford and Florence B. Decker Foundation. Pamela Stewart Fahs — associate dean for academics, professor of nursing and PhD program director — was appointed as the first Decker chair in rural nursing in 2007; she continues in this role today.
The Decker rural chair uses the position and office to:
- Support the identification of differences in healthcare delivery, professional nursing practice and needs of individuals, families, and communities in rural settings
- Teach students how to develop care specific to rural patients
- Test and measure the effectiveness of care delivered in rural areas
- Develop and test programs that improve the health of rural populations
- Help professional nursing and healthcare organizations appreciate the healthcare needs of rural people
- Provide substantive support to the Decker School of Nursing in the area of rural health.
The Decker rural chair is involved the following types of activities:
- Supporting healthy living of rural populations
- Programs to reduce cardiovascular risks of rural populations
- Promoting healthy diet, exercise and reduction of tobacco exposure.
- Programs to support healthy aging in rural communities
- Directing activities to facilitate the identification of health care needs in rural areas
- Designing nursing strategies to meet the needs of rural populations
- Acting as a resource for information about healthcare problems in rural areas
- Supporting inquiry and scholarship for nursing students and faculty.
- Supporting a mechanism for dissemination of scholarship on rural healthcare, rural nursing and rural health policy
Stewart Fahs receives international rural nursing award
Pamela Stewart Fahs won the 2016 Anna Mae Ericksen Award, presented by the Rural Nurse Organization (RNO) for outstanding leadership in rural nursing and provision of healthcare to rural populations. Read more on the Decker news webpage