Search Target

TA/CA/RA Information

Application to become a TA

Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships and other Funding Options

There are several areas you can look for funding as a master student or a PhD student:

1. Teaching Assistantship (TA)

2. Research Assistantship (RA)

3. Scholarships, Fellowships, Etc.

Information on Teaching Assistantships

Each Fall we appoint about a dozen students as teaching assistants; appointments in Spring are quite rare. These are very competitive; preference is given to new PhD students but new MS students also have a chance to be appointed. When you apply for admission you are asked if you would be like to be considered for funding. If you answer yes to that you will be considered for a teaching assistantship. Selection of students for TA appointments is done by the graduate director of the ECE department during the review of your application. To be considered for a TA international applicants must have a TOEFL iBT score of at least 100.

Information on Research Assistantships 

Students are appointed as RAs by individual professors who have external funding to support students to work on their research projects. To be considered for an RA position you must contact individual professors in your area of specialization. The ECE graduate director does not control such appointments. Please visit our website (see links below) to determine which professors work in your area of interest. Once you have identified a professor in your area you could contact them via e-mail to discuss your research interests and your experience, accomplishments, and/or publications.

Links for students who are Research Assistants:

More information about our professors and their research interests

More information about our research areas

RF Employee Self-Service

RF Benefits Website

Research Foundation:

Call: 607-777-4264  

Location: BI-1214

Information on Other Funding Sources

Whether or not you receive funding as a TA or an RA, you may want to consider a combination of funding options. A number of US funding institutions are now making educational loans available to international students; we invite you to explore the opportunities for financing your graduate education on the Graduates School’s website. Scroll past “Tuition & Funding” and read the information under the section “Aid & Funding."

Information on Financial Aid

The ISSS website has details for international students looking for financial aid

ECE Internships and Scholarships

Information and FAQ's for Undergraduate Course Assistants

Please access the following link for any questions regarding Undergraduate Course Assistants (UCA's):

Information and FAQ's for Undergraduate Course Assistants (UCA's)

Last Updated: 2/8/17