NYS OFPC Inspection
The Office of Fire Prevention and Control will begin annual fire inspections on January 8th. OFPC will be escorted by Physical Facilities and EH&S Staff and will be looking for items like extension cords, candles, and blocked extinguishers.
Please take a moment to look around your work area and address any fire safety issues. If you have questions contact us at 7-2211 or visit our webpage on common fire issues.
Space Heater Safety
Small personal space heaters are permitted for use in state buildings, but please follow these safety tips:
- Always turn them off when leaving for the day
- Make sure they are plugged directly into the wall
- Unplug them when leaving for an extended period of time
- Keep combustible materials (paper, cloth materials) 3 ft away from them
Stay Safe in Snowstorms & Extreme Cold.
- Test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. December, January and February
are the peak months for heating fires.
- Learn how to shut off water valves in your home in case a pipe bursts
- Prepare your vehicle with an emergency kit and keep your exhaust clear to prevent carbon monoxide buildup in the vehicle cabin.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling. Overexertion can lead to a heart attack.
- Know the signs and symptoms cold related illnesses such as hypothermia and frostbite.
For more snowstorm and cold weather safety tips, visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.