Tips to protect yourself in cold environments
• Recognize environmental and workplace conditions that may be dangerous.
• Learn the signs and symptoms of cold-induced illness and injuries.
• Wear proper clothing for cold, wet and windy conditions, including layers than can be adjusted to changing conditions.
• If you are working in extreme conditions, take frequent short breaks in warm, dry areas to allow your body to warm up.
• Try to schedule outside work for the warmest part of the day.
• Avoid exhaustion or fatigue because energy is needed to keep muscles warm.
• Drink warm, sweet beverages (sugar water, sports-type drinks) and avoid drinks with caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas, or hot chocolate) or alcohol.
• Eat warm, high-calorie foods such as hot pasta dishes.
Vornado Space Heater Recall
Vornado has recalled the VH101 model space heater due to fire and burn hazards. Please visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission website for more information.
Kidde Home Smoke Detector Recall
The fire safety brand Kidde has recently discovered a malfunction in home smoke detectors and issued a recall. There are approximately 452,000 units affected. Please see the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, linked below.