Wilson is an evolutionary biologist with a wide range of interests, including natural selection as a hierarchical process, the nature of intraspecific variation, the evolution of ecological communities and human evolutionary biology. His graduate students work on a wide variety of projects, some closely allied to Wilson's and others more independent. Wilson and his graduate students also work on a wide range of organisms including fish, insects, plants and humans.
- PhD, Michigan State University
- BA, University of Rochester
- Evolutionary and theoretical ecology
- Evolution of ecological communities
- Human evolutionary biology