About the Binghamton Enrichment Program (BEP)
The mission of the Binghamton Enrichment Program (BEP) is to prepare pre-freshmen Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) students for the challenges of college study so that they can successfully transition into Binghamton University. The Binghamton Enrichment Program focuses on a combination of academic excellence, cultural awareness and social responsibility. Our aim is to enhance the confidence levels of our students and strengthen the likelihood of persistence to graduation.
The Binghamton Enrichment Program will generate opportunities for students to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills. It will also encourage students to make conscious connections between the acquisition of skills and their application to academic, social and professional lives.
The Binghamton Enrichment Program is a mandatory pre-freshman program that provides students with intensive academic development and orientation to the Binghamton University community.
The centerpiece of the program is academic classroom instruction that is offered to strengthen the student's skills in the areas of writing, reading, mathematics, and communication. The Binghamton Enrichment Program also offers the opportunity to complete eight (8) credits and two (2) requirements. In addition to these classes, which students are required to attend, there is also a full schedule of recreational and social activities.
To aid in their development, each student is assigned an academic advisor/counselor who coordinates individual advising sessions to assist with course registration and teaches a course designed to familiarize the student with university procedures. Students will also be assigned Peer Counselors who reside in the residence hall with them and facilitate the social and residential activities. The Binghamton Enrichment Program is provided at no cost to the student.
EOP/BEP goals are
- To help students develop reading, writing and mathematical skills, not only for the sake of those skills alone, but to combine them as more general critical-thinking and problem-solving skills that they can apply to their freshman coursework and beyond, and to broader social situations and issues as well.
- To help students develop general skills and academic work habits.
- To help students form a connection with EOP as a community and a resource they can rely upon for assistance in academic, counseling, financial, social and other matters.
- In subsequent semesters, to promote greater EOP student achievement in majors and programs of first choice, especially those programs involving Math proficiency.
- To encourage more EOP students to pursue graduate or professional studies and toward that end, to promote greater EOP student achievement in the GRE, LSAT, GMAT, MCAT, etc.
All freshman students are admitted to the University through the Educational Opportunity Program on the condition that they participate in the Summer Program. Students are expected to complete the Summer Program successfully. EOP provides financial support for each student to cover the cost of room, board, books and transportation. There is no tuition charge.
Students who participate in the Summer Program will have to attend from: July 5 to Aug. 4 (dates are subject to change).
The EOP at SUNY Binghamton is a partner of the Foster Youth College Success Initiative (FYCSI). Support as well as additional funding to assist with succeeding in college is provided to students interested in this program. Foster youth can speak with their assigned EOP counselor whom they will meet by attending one of the EOP orientations annually held on the first two weekends of June.
Foster youth interested in utilizing the resources provided by the FYCSI can gain assistance in purchasing text books and/or paying their college bill by reducing or cancelling loans.
Admitted foster youth are encouraged to sign up for break housing, which is available in the Newing, Dickinson, College in the Woods, and Hinman communities. Foster youth will be able to stay in break housing residence year round.