Search Target

Financial Aid for Summer & Winter Session

Attending Summer and Winter sessions are great ways to accelerate your degree.



Binghamton University does not offer aid for winter as a separate term.

If the bill for winter session is not paid by the student, the bill will roll into the spring 2018 bill, at which time spring aid can be applied. If the student has enough spring financial aid to cover both winter and spring semester after the first spring payment due date, no late fees will apply for winter session.

Binghamton University will process a Pell Grant only for eligible students enrolled in Winter session and enrolled for less than 12 credits in spring semester. Federal loans are not available for winter session.


SUMMER Session

Financial aid sources for the summer are available for matriculated, Binghamton University undergraduate and graduate students who are in good academic standing. Students enrolled for at least six (6) credits during summer session may be eligible to use Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Parent Loans and Alternative Loans to help finance the summer session. Pell Grant funding may also be available, if eligible.

Non-Binghamton students attending summer courses at Binghamton should contact their home school to see if they are eligible for funding.

For more information about Summer Session 2018-19, visit the Summer Session website.

To request financial aid for summer you must:

1. Be in good academic standing at Binghamton University at the end of the spring semester.

2. Complete:

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2018-19 academic year: You must list Binghamton's Federal School Code: 002836; beginning October 1, 2017.
  • The Summer Loan Request Form, if loan funds are needed. Submit to Financial Aid Services after you are enrolled for summer. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible for loans. Note: Taking any portion of your loans(s) in summer will reduce loan eligibility for the fall and/or spring semesters.
  • Pell Grant: If you are a Pell Grant recipient, it may be possible to use grant monies towards summer enrollment. If you have been offered a Pell Grant for the fall/spring semester and wish to know more about using Pell towards summer, please stop by and speak with a financial aid counselor.
  • TAP: TAP cannot be used as a credit toward your summer bill since funds are not received until after the summer session ends.

3. Register for a minimum of six (6) credits in Binghamton's summer session. You must be enrolled for at least six (6) credits to be eligible for loans. Register for summer coursework via BU BRAIN.

4. Maintain your enrollment. Dropping summer session coursework may result in loss of funding from PELL and/or loans.


When to expect summer aid in your financial aid award offer

Beginning early-May, once a student is packaged for 2018-19, students registered for summer session can have their financial aid offers revised to include summer aid. Email notifications of the revisions will be sent to student's official Binghamton email account. 


Important note about summer financial aid refunds

Most financial aid refunds are not available until late-July and are based on maintaining enrollment.

For additional questions about summer aid and your eligibility, contact Financial Aid via our contact form, call  607-777-2428 or visit the office.

Last Updated: 3/28/18