Financial Aid for Summer & Winter Session
Attending Summer and Winter sessions are great ways to accelerate your degree.
Binghamton University does not offer aid for winter as a separate term.
If the bill for winter session is not paid by the student, the bill will roll into the spring 2016 bill, at which time spring aid can be applied. If the student has enough spring financial aid to cover both winter and spring semester after the first spring payment due date, no late fees will apply for winter session.
Binghamton University will process a Pell Grant only for eligible students enrolled in Winter session if the student will be enrolled for less than 12 credits in spring semester. Federal loans are not available for winter session.
Limited financial aid sources for the summer are available for matriculated, Binghamton University undergraduate and graduate students, in good academic standing. Students enrolled for at least six (6) credits during summer session may be eligible for Federal PELL Grants (eligibility for summer PELL depends on enrollment plans for the entire year), Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Parent Loans, Alternative Loans, and New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grants (more TAP details below).
Non-Binghamton students attending summer courses at Binghamton should contact their home school to see if they are eligible for funding.
To request financial aid for summer you must:
1. Be in good academic standing at Binghamton University at the end of the spring semester.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2016-17 academic year: You must list Binghamton's Federal School Code: 002836; beginning January 1, 2016.
- Summer Loan Request Form (coming May 2016), if loan funds are needed. Submit to Financial Aid Services after you are enrolled. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible for loans. Note: Taking any portion of your loans(s) in summer will reduce loan eligibility for the fall and/or spring semesters.
- New York State residents only: If you wish to use New York State TAP for summer (not recommended unless in your last semester), be sure to indicate summer attendance on your TAP application. Enroll and remain enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credits in Binghamton's summer session. Students must have earned at least 24 credits, applicable to the degree, in the prior two semesters at Binghamton. If you are eligible, you can receive up to 8 semesters of TAP payments as an undergraduate. EOP students are eligible to receive 10 semesters of TAP payments. The summer term counts as 1 or ½ semester depending on the number of credits taken. TAP cannot be used as a credit toward your summer bill since funds are not received until after the summer semester ends. You must list Binghamton's TAP School Code: Undergraduate 0880.
3. Register for a minimum of six (6) credits in Binghamton's summer session. You must be enrolled for at least six (6) credits to be eligible for loans. Register for summer coursework via BU BRAIN.
4. Maintain your enrollment. Dropping summer session coursework may result in loss of funding from PELL and/or loans.
When to expect summer aid in your financial aid award offer
Beginning early-May, once a student is packaged for 2016-17, students registered for summer session can have their financial aid offers revised to include summer aid. Email notifications of the revisions will be sent to student's official Binghamton email account.
Important note about summer financial aid refunds
Most financial aid refunds are not available until mid-July and are based on maintaining enrollment.
For additional questions about summer aid and your eligibility, contact Financial Aid via our contact form, call 607-777-2428 or visit the office.