General Education Requirements
Students follow the General Education program in effect for the year they matriculate at Binghamton University. For example, students matriculating in Summer 2019, Fall 2019, or Spring 2020 would follow the General Education requirements as stated in the 2019-2020 Bulletin. Generally, a student's catalog year is the same as the academic year in which he or she matriculates at Binghamton University. If you are not sure which requirements apply to you, please contact your school advising office for assistance.
General Education Categories
Students must fulfill requirements in the following categories:
- Language and Communication
- Composition (C) and Oral Communication (O) or Joint Composition/Oral Communication (J)
- Foreign Language (FL1, FL2, FL3)
- Creating a Global Vision
- Global Interdependencies (G)
- Pluralism in the United States (P or USP)
- Liberal Arts
- Aesthetics (A)
- Humanities (H)
- Laboratory Sciences (L)
- Social Sciences (N)
- Mathematics (M)
- Physical Activity/Wellness
- Combination of Physical Activity (Y), Wellness (S), or Both Physical Activity/Wellness (B)
Requirements and Planning Sheets
Requirements may differ by catalog year; please follow the University Bulletin and planning sheet for your catalog year. If you have questions, please see your academic adviser.
- 2021-22 Bulletin and 2021 Planning Sheet (pdf)
- 2020-21 Bulletin and 2020 Planning Sheet (pdf)
- 2019-20 Bulletin and 2019 Planning Sheet (pdf)
- 2018-19 Bulletin and 2018 Planning Sheet (pdf)
- 2017-18 Bulletin and 2017 Planning Sheet (pdf, 42kb)
- 2016-17 Bulletin and 2016 Planning Sheet (pdf, 41kb)
Differences in General Education Requirements by Major or School
Binghamton's only General Education requirement which differs by school or major is the Foreign Language requirement. Please see the Foreign Language page for more information.
Comparison of Binghamton University's General Education Requirements and SUNY General Education Requirements
Please see "Comparison of Binghamton University and SUNY General Education Requirements" on the Transfer Student page for more information.