Transfer Students Entering Prior to Fall 2011
Transfer students who have completed the entire SUNY General Education Requirements (SUNY-GER) prior to matriculation at Binghamton, as verified by the General Education Transcript Addendum (GETA), have completed Binghamton University’s General Education requirements.
The General Education requirement for transfer students who have not completed the entire SUNY-GER prior to matriculation at Binghamton consists of the following:
Section 1: 5 required General Education categories
- Oral Communication*
- Laboratory Science
- Global Interdependencies
* The categories of Composition and Oral Communication may be fulfilled by a single J (Joint Composition/Oral Communication) class
Section 2: Students must select 5 courses from at least 3 of the remaining categories:
- Social Science
- Foreign Language (one course at any level; may also be fulfilled in high school by demonstrating a level of proficiency equivalent to passing the corresponding Regents foreign language examination with a score of 85 or higher)
- These requirements are in effect only for transfer students entering in Fall 2010 or Spring 2011.
- Physical Activity/Wellness is not required for transfer students entering in Fall 2010 or Spring 2011.
- Composition, Oral Communication, Joint Composition/Oral Communication or Foreign Language courses may double-count with one other Gen Ed requirement.
- Students may take up to three of the five courses required in Section 2 from one category. For example, a student could take the following to fulfill Section 2: three Aesthetics courses, one Humanities course, one Foreign Language course.
Transfer Students Entering Binghamton University Prior to Fall 2010
Transfer students who matriculate at Binghamton University prior to Fall 2010 fulfill the same General Education requirements as students who enter Binghamton University as freshmen, with the exception of the Foreign Language requirement, which differs for transfer students.
The Foreign Language requirement for transfer students is fulfilled by one approved college course in foreign language at any level. This requirement may also be fulfilled in high school by demonstrating a level of proficiency equivalent to passing the corresponding Regents foreign language examination with a score of 85 or higher. The Foreign Language requirement is waived for students in Watson College engineering program.
Transfer students from other SUNY schools who have been certified as meeting a SUNY-wide General Education requirement prior to matriculation at Binghamton will be certified as having met the corresponding Binghamton requirement. Courses from other SUNY schools taken after matriculation at Binghamton or not certified as meeting a SUNY-wide requirement will be evaluated solely in terms of Binghamton University's General Education requirements. Contact your advisor for more information.
Courses transferred from schools outside the SUNY system will be evaluated solely in terms of Binghamton University's General Education requirements. Contact your advisor for more information.