The very best indication that a student is prepared for graduate school or the profession of Geology is the successful completion of a research project. Undergraduate research is not required for Geology majors, but it is certainly recommended. This is, after all, one of the benefits of being a student at a research university. Successful completion of such a project may qualify the student for departmental honors upon graduation.
Here is a list of some recent undergraduate research projects. This list is not complete and can be expected to grow through time. It is included to provide some examples.
Undergraduate Research Projects
- Amber Whelsky (2009): Titius-Bode Law (a law describing the spacing of planetary orbits).
- Gabe Lotto (2010): Tornado activity in Upstate New York.
- Franco Braiotta (2012): Microbiological Sb(V) reduction.
- Evan Amber (2012): Suppression of hurricane activity by El Nino.
- Steve LaBrecque (2013): Suburban land use impacts on the hydrology of Upper Fuller Hollow Creek.
- Anna Sofia Andeskie (2013): Microorganisms and fluid inclusions in gypsum from Sicily (Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellow).
- Sara Kozmor (2013): Fluid inclusions in gypsum from the Messinian
- Salinity Crisis (Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellow).
- Nora Holt (2013): Changes in the chemical composition of Carboniferous seawater from chemical analysis of fluid inclusions in halite (Harpur College Summer Scholar & Artists Program Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellow).
- Tasfia Nayem (2013): As(III) oxidation by purple sulfur bacteria drives anoxygenic photosynthesis
- Kestana Anyoke (2014): Enzymatic pathways of bacterial Sb(V) and As(V) reduction.
- Graham Killduff (2014): Microbiological metal cycling in roadside soils.
- Joeseph Visone (2014): Microbiological metal cycling in roadside soils.
- Kristen Spinelli (2014): Hydrology and ancient lake levels of the Dead Sea Rift.
- Matt Teich (2014): Physical and chemical hydrology of Bunn Hill Creek watershed.
- Michael Petro (2014): Outcrop spectral gamma ray analysis of the lacustrine Green River Formation.
- Colin Pribulick (2014): Calibration of a BGO outcrop gamma ray spectrometer.
- Colin Rojas (2014): Sandstone quality and provenance of the North American Arctic.
- David Johnston (2014): Design and fabrication of geologic models using 3D printing.
- Ethan van Raalte (2015): Chemical evolution of Magadi Basin waters.