About Binghamton University
Binghamton University, a nationally distinguished State University of New York (SUNY) Center of Excellence, combines the atmosphere of a mid-sized, public institution with the resources of a very large research university. Binghamton University is one of the four university centers in SUNY, one of the largest systems of public higher education in the United States.
The University has a strong commitment to academic and research excellence, and many of our graduate programs have an excellent national reputation. Binghamton is large enough to provide an outstanding education for all of its students, yet small enough that students work alongside faculty. Our six academic schools and colleges strive to provide individual attention to students while also allowing viable access to innovative practical experiences and research projects.
Binghamton University has quickly established itself as one of the premier public universities in the nation — in fact, the best in the northeast.
- Founded: 1946
- Highly selective, mid-sized public university
- Total enrollment: ~17,000
- Graduate students: 3,600+
- Undergraduate students: 13,400+
- Faculty: ~1,000
- Students of color: 29%
- International students: 16%
- Students come from 53 U.S. states/territories and 115+ countries
- Academic colleges and schools: 6
- Specialized research centers and institutes: 30+
- Master's programs: 60+
- Doctoral programs: 30+
- Accelerated/4+1 degree programs: 50+
- Certificate programs: 15+
Watch several online videos of students, faculty and staff sharing their experiences, and visit our social media pages regularly for the latest happenings at Binghamton University. Especially for prospective international students in China, explore Binghamton University on renren.com.
- U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Binghamton University among the Top 50 public universities.
- Fiske Guide to Colleges calls Binghamton "the premier public university in the northeast."
- Times Higher Education counts Binghamton University among the top 400 universities in the world.
- Binghamton has been recognized for excellence in internationalization by organizations like the Institute of International Education.
- Our graduate students are successful in the job market: employers know our graduates are well prepared.
- Our talented faculty includes a Pulitzer Prize winner, a National Book Award winner and numerous Fulbright, Ford and Guggenheim scholars.
- Several of Binghamton University's doctoral programs rank especially high for faculty and research productivity.
- Our faculty are committed to the superior preparation, timely degree completion and career success of our graduate students. All programs are below the national average time to doctoral degree.
- Investor's Business Daily places Binghamton University in the top 10 for return on educational investment.
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance ranks Binghamton #4 in value for out-of-state students and #15 in value for in-state students among public universities in the nation.
- Forbes also ranks Binghamton as #15 for America's Best Value Colleges, #8 in public colleges, #14 in research universities, and #4 in the Northeast.
Commitment to Green
- Binghamton University is consistently listed on The Princeton Review's "green rating" of colleges, which measures how environmentally friendly a campus is. A whopping 96% of Binghamton's grounds are maintained organically and all new construction or major renovation projects are built to LEED Silver standards or beyond. Explore campus sustainability efforts.