Harpur College combined undergraduate and graduate 4+1 degree programs
Highly committed students can complete a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just five years with a Harpur College 4+1 program.
How does the 4+1 degree program work?
You complete most of the coursework for your bachelor's degree in your first three years. In your fourth year, you take both bachelor's- and master's-level courses, graduate with your bachelor's degree and formally apply to the Graduate School. In your fifth year, you are admitted to the Graduate School and focus solely on graduate coursework.
We encourage students interested in the 4+1 programs to begin preparing to apply as early as their freshman year on campus.
Learn more, earn more, spend less
Jump-start your graduate education and gain significant advantages:
- Save time: Typically, earning a master's degree takes two years. But with Harpur College's 4+1 degree programs, you can earn your master's degree with just one extra year of classes. You'll finish both your bachelor's degree and your master's degree in a total of five years.
- Save money: By choosing a 4+1 degree program, you'll save a full year of tuition dollars. Plus, you'll pay undergraduate tuition rates for your graduate classes during your fourth (senior) year. Once you earn your bachelor's degree and move into the 5th year as a master's student you are required to take a minimum of 18 credits at the graduate level, charged at the graduate tuition rate.
- Gain a competitive edge: A master's degree is an excellent professional credential. With a master's you'll gain a competitive edge in the marketplace and increase your earning potential with a higher starting salary.
4+1 degree program options
Harpur College offers many bachelor’s/master’s 4+1 degree options. You can learn more about each of the graduate degrees by clicking on the title of the program:
- Anthropology, BA/BS + MA
- Anthropology, BA/BS + Biomedical Anthropology, MS
- Art History, BA + MA
- Asian & Asian American Studies, BA + MA
- Biological Sciences, BA + MS
- Chemistry, BA/BS + MA/MS
- Chemistry, BS + Materials Science, MS
- Comparative Literature, BA + MA
- Economics, BS + MA
- English, BA + MA
- Environmental Studies, BA/BS + Sustainable Communities, MA/MS
- French, BA + MA
- Geography, BA + MA
- Geology, BS + MS
- History, BA + MA
- Integrative Neuroscience, BS + Biomedical Anthropology, MS
- Italian, BA + MA
- Math, BA/BS + Statistics, MA
- Philosophy, BA + MA
- Philosophy, Politics & Law, BA + Philosophy, MA
- Philosophy, Politics & Law, BA + Sustainable Communities, MA/MS
- Physics, BS + Materials Science, MS
- Sociology, BA + MA
- Spanish, BA + MA
Harpur College several offers 4+1 pathways to Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT). Any Harpur BA is eligible for a 4+1 with Sustainable Communities (MA/MS) as well as the Master of Public Administration (MPA), and Master of Public Health (MPH), Student Affairs Administration (SAA). Any Harpur undergraduate major is compatible with the Master of Business Administration (MBA) 4+1.
Download 4+1 degree program fact sheet
In order to provide more details and advisement for students interested in 4+1 programs we have created a 4+1 degree fact sheet to download.