Due to the campus restrictions put in place in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Harpur Advising has moved all advising services online. This page was created to provide Harpur students with resources to help you navigate advising and registration.
Harpur Advising Availability
Harpur Academic Advising is available by phone Monday - Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
Advisors are available for Zoom or phone appointments:
- Mondays - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Tuesdays - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Wednesdays - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Thursdays - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Fridays - 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
You can schedule an appointment online through Starfish or by calling 607-777-6305.
Quick questions can be emailed to: HARPURADVISING@BINGHAMTON.EDU
Important Dates & Deadlines: Summer 2021
- Tuesday, June 1st - First Day of Classes for Summer Session I
- Thursday, June 3rd at 11:59pm - Add/Drop Deadline for Summer Session I Classes
- Monday, June 21st at 11:59pm - Course Withdrawal Deadlien for Summer Session I Classes
- Monday, June 21st at 4pm - Grade Change Deadline for Summer Session I Classes
- Monday, July 12th - First Day of Classes for Summer Session II
- Thursday, July 15th at 11:59pm - Add/Drop Deadline for Summer Session II Classes
- Friday, July 30th at 11:59pm - Course Withdrawal Deadline for Summer Session II Classes
- Friday, July 30th at 4pm - Grade Change Deadline for Summer II Classes
University Wide Resources & Fall 2020 - Spring 2021 Restart Plans
Major/Minor Advising Contacts & Procedures
Academic & Personal Success Resources
Career Advising Resources
Forms and Petitions
This form is for Harpur College Undergraduate students:
- to request a waiver of the Harpur College residency requirement
- to request a Harpur writing course substitution (seniors only) *note: At least one C/J must be taken at Binghamton University
- to request an extension of incomplete beyond the 18-month deadline
- to request a change in Bulletin year
- Discuss your General Academic Petition request with your Undergraduate Director or your Instructor (see petition for appropriate contact)
- Instructor or Undergraduate Directors should send approval emails to Harpur College at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit the complete General Academic Petition, including any relevant documentation to email@example.com.
The outcome of your petition(s) will be sent to you via e-mail within 5 business days
Detailed instructions available here
Please follow these instructions:
- Before submitting coursework for consideration, please review the transfer course equivalency tables. If the course you wish to take appears on the tables, it will transfer as indicated. Do NOT submit a petition.
- Review Harpur Transfer Guidelines and Policies
- Complete the appropriate petition:
- Psychology & Integrative Neuroscience majors looking to have transfer credits count toward their major should fill out the online transfer petition through the department.
- All other majors should use this form for requests involving major or minor requirements. Please carefully review the Student Instructions section of this document before submitting coursework for review.
Complete the student side of the form and email to the appropriate department contact.
Transfer Credit and Study Abroad Petition: General education, Writing, Non-major Upper Level, and Elective Credit Requests
Use this online form to petition for the acceptance and/or application of transfer credits to be taken at other institutions.
- You must be a Harpur College student or pursuing a Harpur College minor. Professional school students taking Harpur College courses must petition through the professional school's advising offices.
- Review the General Education and Writing Transfer Guide for Harpur College Students to see what types of courses may be approved for General Education or Writing credit.
- Check the Binghamton University's Course to Course Equivalency site to see if the course appears.
- Please complete all relevant sections of the petition. Incomplete petitions will not be reviewed.
- Please complete one petition for EACH course you wish to take.
You will receive an email indicating the result of your petition within 5 business days of submission.Students who wish to participate in internships or study abroad programs and who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that they will be asked about their prior criminal history. This may impede your ability to participate. Students who have concerns about such matters, or are looking for additional information, are advised to contact the dean's office of their intended academic program. For questions about how this may affect studying abroad, please contact the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives.
Use this form to add courses after the 11:59 pm February 24th Add/Drop deadline.
- Email Petition to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The instructor of the course must email email@example.com with their approval for the petition to be accepted. If
the instructor does not do so, the petition will not be approved.
Use this form to withdraw from ALL classes for the current semester. The completed online form must be submitted by 4:00 pm on the last day of classes.
The normal credit load for Harpur students is 12-18 credits. Those who want to carry additional credits are bound by the following rules:
Returning Binghamton Students with a 3.30 GPA or better:
Starting the 1st day of the semester, you may enroll in up to 22 credits through the BU Brain. If you wish to carry 23 or 24 credit hours, you must petition. Credit loads of 23-24 credits must be reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee. Be aware that this Committee will not meet until the 4th week of the semester.
Students with Less Than A 3.30 GPA:
You must petition to take additional credits. All petitions for 23 or 24 credits will be automatically referred to the Harpur College Academic Standards Committee. Be aware that this Committee will not meet until the 4th week of the semester.
STUDENTS WITH LESS THAN A 3.3 GPA WHO WISH TO TAKE MORE THAN 18 ACADEMIC CREDITS (academic credits are defined as courses not offered through OUT, THEP and MUSP):
Overload petitions for Harpur students with less than a 3.30 cumulative GPA will be considered beginning on the first day of the semester. Students must present a strong rationale. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
STUDENTS WHO WILL NOT BE APPROVED TO TAKE MORE THAN 18 ACADEMIC CREDITS (academic credits are defined as courses not offered through OUT, THEP and MUSP):
- First semester Binghamton students (freshman or transfers) are not permitted to take more than 18 academic credits.
- Students on probation are not permitted to take more than 18 academic credits.
- Students may not overload during a winter or summer term.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
The overload petition will be available by the first day of classes each semester.
Approved overload petitions submitted prior to the first day of classes will be entered beginning on the first day of classes. Students will receive an email with the results of their petition via their Binghamton email address. Petitions submitted after the first day of the semester will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
Approval of an overload does not constitute registration in a course. Approved students who do not register before the add deadline must petition for a late add.
Questions about the overload policy should be directed to the Harpur College Academic Advising Office.
NOTE: Double degree students must petition to overload through their professional school's advising offices
Spring 2020 Policy Changes
In light of the impact that COVID-19 has had on students, several policy changes have been implemented for the Spring 2020 semester.