Search Target

Intra-University Transfer (IUT) and Double Degree Requirements

Many students enroll at Binghamton University with an undecided major and over the course of their time here find that the major they would like to pursue is in another college. Students who wish to transfer between colleges will need to apply for an "Intra-University Transfer" (IUT). Some students find that they want to pursue two majors in different colleges (for example Psychology major in Harpur & Management major in SOM). These students need to apply to the "Double Degree" program. 

Information for non-Harpur students wanting to complete an IUT into Harpur College:

Admission requirements: 

  • Harpur College accepts matriculated students with at least a 2.7 cumulative Binghamton grade-point average, or who have earned a 3.0 GPA after two semesters of Harpur College coursework and are otherwise in good standing.
  • Applicants with less than a 2.7 cumulative GPA must talk to Harpur College Academic Advising. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Information for Harpur students wanting to complete an IUT out of Harpur College:

Each college has their own admissions requirements. Please check the Admission page and college's advising page about more information regarding IUT requirements. 

Information about Double Degree requirements:

Students wishing to major in a Harpur major and a second major in another school/college at Binghamton (ex: SOM, Watson, HDEV) must be admitted to the Double Degree program, which requires a minimum of 156 credit hours. In this program, students will complete the two baccalaureate degrees (one from each school) simultaneously; the degrees will be awarded together once both are competed. 

Double degree students must complete General Education requirements, both schools' college requirements and both sets of major requirements. This often requires students to take courses during winter and/or summer terms, as well as an extra year of study. Students with sufficient advanced placement or college credit upon entry to Binghamton University may be able to complete both degrees in four years.

Double Degree requirements:

    • 156 credits total
    • All General Education Requirements
    • Harpur College Requirements:
      • 126 credits
      • 94 credits of liberal arts coursework
      • 44 credits of upper level (300+) coursework
      • 44 credits of Harpur College coursework
      • Harpur Writing requirement (one of three options):
        • 2 C or J & 3 W courses
        • 3 C or J & 1 W course
        • 4 C or J courses
      • Harpur Major requirements (10-16 courses):
        • Please consult the University Bulletin, Degree Audit or faculty advisor for major requirements 
    • Professional School requirements: Please contact the professional school advising office to determine requirements 

How to apply:

Application for Intra-University Transfer (IUT) and Double Degree must be submitted online through the BU Brain.

Deadlines to apply are:

For Spring Admission: 

November 15

For Fall Admission 

March 15

Admissions decisions are made after the current semester's grades are available. You will receive an email to your Bmail account regarding an admissions decision over winter break (about spring admission) or summer break (about fall admission). 

Last Updated: 8/17/20