Older Adult Audit Program
New York state law permits residents 60 years or older to audit credit-bearing classes
at state-affiliated campuses free* of charge. Auditors participate fully in classes, but there is no college credit,
nor are any formal records kept of involvement.
Participants identify courses of interest and contact the instructor/college to determine
openings for auditor participation. Auditors participate in class activities at the
discretion of the instructor/college and on a space-available basis. If course space
is limited, instructors can wait until the add/drop deadline before approving the
request. Auditors are expected to comply with instructor requirements; consent for
participation in the program can be withdrawn if circumstances warrant.
- This program is not open to matriculated students
- Individual lessons on musical instruments are not available through this program
- Due to space limitations in the School of Nursing and Studio Art courses auditors often cannot be accommodated
- This tuition-free privilege cannot be retroactively applied after charges have been incurred
To participate in the Older Adult Audit program...
- Select a course from our online catalog of courses
- You'll be able to search for courses by subject, keywords, course level, etc.
- Make note of the subject, course number, section CRN and course name for the approval form as well as the instructor's name
- Complete and submit the Instructor Approval Form
- Print and complete the auditor portion of the form, including the course information
- Obtain required approval/signature
- For Harpur College courses, contact the course's instructor
- For courses offered by School of Management, Decker School of Nursing, College of Community and Public Affairs or Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science, contact the academic advising office for permission
- Submit the signed form to Harpur Academic Advising
- In person: Old Champlain, Room 110
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: PO Box 6000, Binghamton, NY 13902, Attn: Amy Hanford
Enrollment in the audit program
Once a signed Instructor Approval Form is received, please allow 2 – 3 weeks for processing. Forms will be processed after the dates listed below:
January 1 for spring courses
May 1 for summer courses
August 1 for fall courses
December 1 for winter courses
You will receive an email notifying you of your enrollment in the program. The email will include your B-Number, instructions on how to obtain an ID card, a parking permit and a Binghamton University user account and email address.
Please direct any questions about the Older Adult Audit Program to Amy Hanford at email@example.com or 607-777-6305.
* Some courses, such as Studio Art, may have fees for supplies or materials. If you choose to purchase materials associated with the course, the fees are collected by the department.