Search Target


Information for New and Prospective Transfer Students

The Basics of Transferring to Harpur:

  • We accept up to 82 transfer credits
  • If you have completed the SUNY General Education or the equivalent of SUNY GER then they are exempt from Binghamton’s specific general education requirements. To learn more about SUNY’s General Education requirements please click here.
  • Additional policies can be found here.

A few things to help you plan a Transfer to Harpur:

For Students Transferring from a SUNY Institution:

Through the SUNY seamless transfer initiative, Harpur College supports SUNY’s effort to improve student mobility within the SUNY system. To learn more about SUNY and Transfer Policies please click here.

Articulation Agreements: 

Joint Transfer Admission Programs:

General Education Requirements for Students Transferring from a non-SUNY Institution:

Courses transferred from schools outside the SUNY system will be evaluated solely in terms of Binghamton University's General Education requirements. Please see this page regarding transferring courses to fulfill General Education requirements. 

Military Credits:

Harpur College students may receive credit for military training courses, under the following conditions:

  • Students must provide official documentation in the form of a Joint-Services Transcript (JST). The JST presents a record of military coursework complete with descriptions and ACE recommendations. JSTs are available for all active duty personnel and veterans.
  • Basic Training is acceptable for transfer credit; one credit of basic training may be used to meet the Activity (Y) GenEd requirement.
  • Credit is granted for courses that meet our regular transfer guidelines and ACE recommendations.

Foreign Language Requirement for Transfer Students:

The Foreign Language requirement for transfer students in Harpur College is fulfilled by an approved FL2 (second-semester college-level) course in foreign language. This requirement may also be fulfilled in high school by demonstrating a level of proficiency equivalent to passing the corresponding Regents foreign language examination with a score of 85 or better (or, for students who did not take the Regents examination, completing three or more units of high school foreign language with a course grade in the third unit of 85 or better). 

Last Updated: 9/27/21