Isolation and quarantine

Isolation or quarantine?

According to the CDC,

  • Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.

Isolation and quarantine housing is offered for students who:

  • are on-campus residing students and
  • test positive for COVID-19 or 
  • are exposed to an individual positive for COVID-19 and are directed to quarantine by the Broome County Health Department or other University or medical professional

Residential students may isolate at home or in designated spaces on campus, and may quarantine at a local hotel at no charge to the student. Safe Housing accommodations will be provided. 

Residential students who test positive during ongoing surveillance testing or diagnostic testing at Decker Student Health Services Center (DSHSC) will receive a phone call from DSHSC staff or a consultant informing them of their results. The COVID Response Team will also call these students and determine if there are close contacts that need to quarantine. 

If you are determined to need to isolate or quarantine, the COVID Response Team will talk through your individual circumstances and provide you with additional information.

Residential students who test positive after an off-campus test or who are directed by the Broome County Health Department to quarantine should contact DSHSC so the University is aware of your situation and can assist you.

Students residing off campus will be isolated or quarantined in consultation with the Broome County Health Department (BCHD) and within the capabilities of their off-campus living situation. They will also receive information from the campus.

The typical isolation and quarantine periods both last for 10 days.

More information

Students in isolation or quarantine should contact DSHSC at 607-777-2221 for any medical issues. The University Counseling Center (607-777-2772) is available to assist with mental health concerns. You will also be provided with the contact information for the CARE team and MSW interns who can help, in addition to a number of other student support resources available on the Dean of Students Here to help web page

In case of emergency, call University Police (607-777-2222).

Below is the general contact information if you have additional questions. Students who must isolate or quarantine will receive detailed instructions and case-specific information.