Influenza is thought to spread by contact with respiratory droplets. Therefore, students, faculty and staff can reduce their risk for contracting and spreading these infections by:
- Getting a yearly flu shot.
- Regularly washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
People with the flu should not go out in public, other than to seek medical care, until their temperature is less than 100° for 24 hours.
For more information on influenza, visit the CDC website.