New Student Information

Information for new students

Things you need to do before you can register

Things you need To do before the 6th week of classes

Things you should do before you arrive

Things you should know

Things you should know

 If you don't do this, you won't be officially registered for courses and your campus housing and eligibility for financial aid will be affected. You won't be able to remain in campus housing, and we won't be able to process your financial aid or generate any applicable refunds.

About the Meningitis Acknowledgement

  • The meningitis acknowledgment section of the Immunization Worksheet is mandated by New York state and required from all students.
  • The immunization itself isn't required but acknowledging a decision to receive it or not is.
  • If you haven't already been immunized and wish to receive this immunization, it's available at the center for a fee.
  • Students can find the Meningococcal vaccination response form at

Things you need to do before you can register

For an overview of the Binghamton Patient Portal view the video below. It goes over uploading forms and completing the Medical Health History form along with a tour of the portal.


  1. Log onto You'll need your Binghamton University computer account username and password. On your homepage, in the Education section, is a link to "Immunization requirements." Click the link to open a document with detailed instructions on how to complete and submit the online Medical History form and the Immunization Worksheet. 
  2. If you are under 18 years old, then have your parent or guardian fill out the Under 18 Consent for Emergency/Medical Treatment (43k pdf) and submit it with the required immunization records from the previous step.
  3. Mandatory tuberculosis screening questions are included in the Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire, which is completed and submitted online at Additional information about tuberculosis screening and PPD skin tests.

You must complete and submit both the online Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire and the Certificate of Immunization Worksheet with immunization records before you will be eligible to register for classes.

Things you need to do by the 6th week of classes

  1. Undergraduate students only: If you don’t need the University’s Student Accident and Sickness Plan, you must submit an online waiver through BU Brain to the Student Accounts Office by the 6th week of classes. Instructions on how to submit a waiver can be found at the Student Accounts website. Information about health insurance plan benefits is available. If you don’t submit the waiver on time, you’ll be responsible for paying for the insurance. If you waive the University insurance plan, we’ll assume you don’t need coverage in subsequent semesters unless you inform us that you do.

Things you should do before you arrive

  • Make sure you know about your health history.
  • Carry a list of any medication you take and any allergies you have.
  • Bring your health insurance card or a copy of it.
  • Program the telephone numbers for the Decker Student Health Services Center (607-777-2221) and Harpur’s Ferry ambulance service (607-777-3333) into your phone.
  • While not mandatory, we recommend that you visit with your home healthcare provider before coming to campus. You are encouraged to send any important health information to the Decker Student Health Services Center for inclusion in your student medical file.
  • If you take prescription medication on an ongoing basis, be sure to bring enough with you, have your doctor call your prescription into a local pharmacy, or if your doctor wants the Decker Student Health Services Center to write the prescription, ask him/her to send records to us.
  • If you require allergy shots, the Decker Student Health Services Center can give you a list of local providers as we do not offer this service on campus.


About the University health insurance

All domestic undergraduate students will automatically be enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive this plan. Information about health insurance plan benefits is can be found at . See Health Insurance to find out more about waiving the health insurance and why you need health insurance.

Additional information