Search Target


Things You Need To Do Before You Can Register

Things You Need To Do Before the 6th Week of Classes

Things You Should Do Before You Arrive

Things You Should Know


(Required Forms to Complete)


For an overview of the BU Patient Portal view the video below. It goes over uploading forms and completing the Medical Health History form along with a tour of the portal.


  1. Log onto You'll need your Binghamton University computer account username and password. On your homepage, in the Education section, is a link to "Immunization and Health Form Submission Instructions." Click the link to open a document with detailed instructions on how to complete and submit the online Medical History form and the Immunization Worksheet. Both forms are required for all students.
  2. If you are under 18 years old, then have your parent or guardian fill out the Under 18 Consent for Emergency/Medical Treatment (43k pdf) and submit it with the required immunization records from the previous step.
  3. Mandatory tuberculosis screening questions are included in the Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire, which is completed and submitted online at Additional information about tuberculosis screening and PPD skin tests is provided below.

You must complete and submit both the online Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire and the Certificate of Immunization Worksheet with immunization records before you will be eligible to register for classes. Find out more.

Things You Need to Do By the 6TH WEEK OF CLASSES

  1. Undergraduate students only: If you don’t need the University’s Student Accident and Sickness Plan, you must submit an online waiver through BU Brain to the Student Accounts Office by the 6th week of classes. Instructions on how to submit a waiver can be found at the Student Accounts website. Information about health insurance plan benefits is available at If you don’t submit the waiver on time, you’ll be responsible for paying for the insurance. If you waive the University insurance plan, we’ll assume you don’t need coverage in subsequent semesters unless you inform us that you do.

Things You Should Do BEFORE YOU ARRIVE

  • Make sure you know about your health history.
  • Carry a list of any medication you take and any allergies you have.
  • Bring your health insurance card or a copy of it.
  • Program the telephone numbers for the Decker Student Health Services Center (607-777-2221) and Harpur’s Ferry ambulance service (607-777-3333) into your phone.
  • While not mandatory, we recommend that you visit with your home healthcare provider before coming to campus. You are encouraged to send any important health information to the Decker Student Health Services Center for inclusion in your student medical file.
  • If you take prescription medication on an ongoing basis, be sure to bring enough with you, have your doctor call your prescription in to a local pharmacy, or if your doctor wants the Decker Student Health Services Center to write the prescription, ask him/her to send records to us.
  • If you require allergy shots, the Decker Student Health Services Center can give you a list of local providers as we do not offer this service on campus.
  • Put together a healthcare kit so you have some common medical supplies on hand. Here are some suggestions on what to include (223k pdf)

Things You Should Know…

…Eligibility to Register for Classes Rests with You

You MUST complete and submit the online Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire and the Certificate of Immunization Worksheet with supporting documentation. These forms must be submitted to the Decker Student Health Services Center before you arrive for Orientation. You won’t be allowed to register for classes until this documentation is complete.

If you don’t do this, you won’t be officially registered for courses and your campus housing and eligibility for financial aid will be affected. You won’t be able to remain in campus housing, and we won’t be able to process your financial aid or generate any applicable refunds.

About the Meningitis Acknowledgement

  • The meningitis acknowledgement section of the Immunization Worksheet is mandated by New York state and required from all students.
  • The immunization itself isn’t required, but acknowledging a decision to receive it or not is.
  • If you haven't already been immunized and wish to receive this immunization, it’s available at the center for a fee.
  • If you haven't already been immunized and don't wish to receive this immunization, sign the Meningococcal declination statement on the Immunization Worksheet.
  • See this information about meningitis prepared by the New York State Department of Health (20k pdf).

About Proof of Immunization

  • New York State Public Health Law requires you to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella, and the Immunization Worksheet is where you do this.
  • If you need the MMR immunization, it’s available at the center for free.
  • The Immunization Worksheet must be signed by a healthcare provider to be considered acceptable if other official immunization records are not submitted.
  • Once the Immunization Worksheet is complete,
    Mail to:

    Decker Student Health Services Center
    Binghamton University
    P.O. Box 6000
    Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 USA.

     Or Upload: Via the Patient Portal (
    You can scan and upload your documents by clicking on UPLOAD at the top of the Patient Portal and follow instructions.

  • Official documentation of your immunization history must be provided. Documents including physician-verified history of disease, laboratory evidence of immunity (titers), personal records, (i.e., baby book with official medical provider’s signature or office stamp), or medical exemption. Other acceptable documents include a copy of the immunization record from a prior school (high school or college), a migrant health record, a union health record, a community health plan record, a signed immunization transfer card, a military dependent's "shot" record, the immunization portion of a passport, an immunization record card signed by a physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner, or an immunization registry record.
  • Medical exemptions require a signed physician statement that includes the reason, specific immunizations that apply and an end date for the exemption.

About Tuberculosis Screening

  • Completion of the tuberculosis screening questions on the online Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis questionnaire is required for all new students.
  • Based on your responses to these questions,

    a screening test for tuberculosis or chest X-ray (done in the U.S. or Canada within one calendar year prior to admission) may be required.

    There are two types of screening tests for tuberculosis: a skin test (PPD or Mantoux) and a blood test (Quantiferon TB Gold).

    If your screening test is positive, a subsequent chest X-ray is mandatory.

…About the Student Health Fee

Each semester you pay a Student Health Fee that supports Decker Student Health Services Center programs and services. Since the fee is pre-paid, you won’t be charged for any center visits, health education materials or programs. Your health fee also covers the cost of many medications and common medical supplies as long as center medical staff provide them to/order them for you. See Free or Fees for more information.

…About the University Health Insurance

All domestic undergraduate students will automatically be enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive this plan online. Information about health insurance plan benefits is can be found at . See Health Insurance to find out more about waiving the health insurance and why you need health insurance.
Phone: 607-777-2221
Fax: 607-777-2881


Regular Session Hours

8:00 a.m.–4:45 p.m.

Walk-in care:
8:00–11:00 a.m.

1:00–4:00 p.m.

Blood work drawn: 
9:30–10:30 a.m.

Summer/Break Hours

8:00 a.m.–3:45 p.m.

Walk-in care:
8:00–11:00 a.m.

1:00–2:45 p.m.

Last Updated: 4/17/18